Feeling a little overwhelmed
Nov 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BranMuffin

New Head-Fier
So I started my search for better sounding cans a while back but never had much follow through highly due to the lack of funds. Well I'm finally done putting up with my current setup of a overly noisy creative xfi-hd with a Senheiser pc350 making the dive into the hi-fi headphone realm. With some research I've been leaning towards a dac and amp from schitt audio which amp i'm not sure but I tend to lean towards either the lyr or the valhalla. But then a new question arises what pair of cans go well with these? Now reviews and forums alike are full of these recommendation and mixed reviews some say that the akg q701 come alive with the Lyr (although I'm a little weary of a set of cans backed by a celebrity) others seems to recommend the HD650's with the valhalla and so on the list is actually rather long. This being said I expect to pay up to about 600$ for my first set of cans(implying this wont be the last) but anything cheaper is a welcome alternative. Really any input on interesting cans or other dac's and amps is always appreciated or maybe you feel im going about this in totally the wrong way let's hear what you guys have to say.

~Thanks

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm looking for an open back headphone and music preferences vary anything from metal to classical no country tho. I do listen to a lot of electronic and house music but I don't want headphones with overpowering bass.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Yep, and they happen to have wonderful synergy with Valhalla. I wear these all day, ever day - extremely comfortable + great response. Be sure to get the 600 ohm version.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 15
 You should probably look for headphones, and then an amp to pair them with, rather than and amp and then headphones that pair well with it. In headphones there is much more variety. So I would say look for a pair of headphones that seem to cover everything you need them to, and then an amp to pair them with. The DT990s look good for you :)

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 15
Hey Thanks guys and also thanks Misterrogers for the input on the valhalla amp. So it seems pretty certain that my first set of cans will be the dt-990s I like the price point and they seem to be a good start for me.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Just a note. Some don't like open headphones for rock music.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Hey Misterrogers you seem to have the lyr from what I've seen on some other threads (been doing some lurking) how do you find the lyr matches up with the dt990 would you say the lyr is better than valhalla in this case ?

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 15
Heya,

I'm going to save you a lot of time and money. Since you're starting with a budget that high, you might as well break that budget and move to the end of the line now and stop the expensive search as you bounce from headphone to headphone.

Get the Hifiman HE-500 and the Schiit Lyr. Pair with a nice DAC. Might as well pair with the Schiit Bifrost if you want it all to look like a matching set. Try and get your HE-500's used. There's a few for sale in the for sale section here, for just a bit over your budget actually. Just go high-end now.

Very best,

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 15
Having heard these components together, it's hard not endorse this a great bang for the buck.

Quote:
Heya,

I'm going to save you a lot of time and money. Since you're starting with a budget that high, you might as well break that budget and move to the end of the line now and stop the expensive search as you bounce from headphone to headphone.

Get the Hifiman HE-500 and the Schiit Lyr. Pair with a nice DAC. Might as well pair with the Schiit Bifrost if you want it all to look like a matching set. Try and get your HE-500's used. There's a few for sale in the for sale section here, for just a bit over your budget actually. Just go high-end now.

Very best,

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 15
Very interesting Guys maybe i should wait abit and get those hifiman
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back