FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Apr 1, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #1,066 of 5,206
There's an eye in your picture of the S8F and its creepy. lol

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #1,067 of 5,206
so according to a lot of the comments here, the S8F and S8Pro are reference type monitors, and you hear what the true sound of the recording as it was meant to be. If I've got you correct, than these are for me.
I wouldn't say the S8 Pros are studio reference, but live stage reference, if you catch my drift. They're very much what I'm looking for onstage, but probably a bit too much of a notch in the upper mids and a bit less sibilant than necessary for studio use. They are VERY "real" with recordings, though. The stuff I worked on comes right out on them like a great set of monitors in a "dark" room.

If I'm reading the reactions correctly, the S8 Freedoms are all that with the detail cranked to "11" and a bit more fun in the bass/ sparkle regions.

IIRC, HBB recommends the S6 Pro for the stereotypical studio/ HiFi sound.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #1,068 of 5,206
Just a kinda-related note... I hadn't listened to music on my old SE530s since I got my DM6s or S8Fs, but would occasionally grab em if I needed to do some shopping or something and had a stream or podcast that I wanted to keep listening to. I tried listening to one of my most-listened songs (Love Song by IDLES), just out of curiosity—you know how it can be with audiophile stuff; "Wow, I keep thinking there's a big difference, but is it real? Am I just imagining the difference?"

I'm sorry, but what the hell? Those things are just... they're terrible. I really enjoyed them for literally the better part of a decade, but literally everything about them was wrong. The entire song sounded underwater. From the first guitar strum, it was off—muddy, unimpactful, smeared. It sounded like when you get on a bad connection and the streaming goes down to 64kbps or whatever: just terrible. It's absurd, the progress that's been made over the last couple of years, specifically from China and specifically per dollar.

let us also all remember what a $500 MSRP IEM looked like in 2007:

vs. a ~$500 chi-fi IEM in 2019:

Believe me, I'm certainly here listening to your post and see my own history in the picture that you shared of your own SE530's. Your picture of the SE530's look like my very own. Today, here I am, still with my own Shure SE530's in hand. Although, the left cable is going bad and I need to find a replacement. I've written about my search for replacements here and in other threads:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...d-newer-models-vs-sennheiser-ie-800-s.902546/

I picked my SE530's up in 2010. Here I am 9 years later looking for its replacement in 2019. Like you, I've had a long journey with the SE530's as they have been my goto IEM's over the last many years: very comfortable IEM's. Obviously, much has changed since then. Today I'm playing catch up in this new crowded IEM field. The last few weeks, I've been listening intently to everyone's input as to what IEM's they believe are great today in 2019 for the appropriate money value: Moondrop Kanas Pro's, Moondrop line in general, Tanchjim Oxygen, Fearless Audio line, Campfire Audio, ...etc.

As of current, I'm soon to receive my Moondrop Kanas Pro's as I continue to explore even beyond those for quality vs value. I'll soon take those for a spin to see how they fair against the SE530's that I'm so used to. Hopefully, the Kanas Pro's will hold me over until I find something maybe even better beyond those.

I'm disappointed with Shure: after 9 years, I look to Shure for a possible upgrade to the SE530's which I loved. All they have is the SE846 which was released I believe around the end of 2013 to 2014 time frame? That's it? Very disappointing! You'd think they would have a few more options in their lineup to play with.

How's your impression of the S8F over the SE530's? Night and day?

I'm currently eyeing the Sennheiser IE 500 Pro too that is soon to be released.

As you have the SE530's, I would be interested in your thoughts as to what you have found to replace your very own SE530's?

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #1,069 of 5,206
Believe me, I'm certainly here listening to your post and see my own history in the picture that you shared of your own SE530's. Your picture of the SE530's look like my very own. Today, here I am, still with my own Shure SE530's in hand. Although, the left cable is going bad and I need to find a replacement. I've written about my search for replacements here and in other threads:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...d-newer-models-vs-sennheiser-ie-800-s.902546/

I picked my SE530's up in 2010. Here I am 9 years later looking for its replacement in 2019. Like you, I've had a long journey with the SE530's as they have been my goto IEM's over the last many years: very comfortable IEM's. Obviously, much has changed since then. Today I'm playing catch up in this new crowded IEM field. The last few weeks, I've been listening intently to everyone's input as to what IEM's they believe are great today in 2019 for the appropriate money value: Moondrop Kanas Pro's, Moondrop line in general, Tanchjim Oxygen, Fearless Audio line, Campfire Audio, ...etc.

As of current, I'm soon to receive my Moondrop Kanas Pro's as I continue to explore even beyond those for quality vs value. I'll soon take those for a spin to see how they fair against the SE530's that I'm so used to. Hopefully, the Kanas Pro's will hold me over until I find something maybe even better beyond those.

I'm disappointed with Shure: after 9 years, I look to Shure for a possible upgrade to the SE530's which I loved. All they have is the SE846 which was released I believe around the end of 2013 to 2014 time frame? That's it? Very disappointing! You'd think they would have a few more options in their lineup to play with.

How's your impression of the S8F over the SE530's? Night and day?

I'm currently eyeing the Sennheiser IE 500 Pro too that is soon to be released.

As you have the SE530's, I would be interested in your thoughts as to what you have found to replace your very own SE530's?

Very similar stories indeed. Honestly, at first I was just thinking, "it would be nice to replace these 530s with 535s, that way i can replace the cable with something like the Shure bluetooth adapter and have wireless headphones that actually sound good, unlike lots of stuff being released these days." I even ordered a pair of 535s off a seller on eBay after talking to Shure and seeing that they had totally EOL'd the 530s and wouldn't let me pay to "repair" them up to 535s.

While waiting for the 535s to arrive, I started browsing this lovely hell-site again for the first time in a decade, and heard about the DM6. I ordered it because it was less than my eBay 535s, and sent the 535s back immediately once they came in. I got the DM6s, and it was immediately apparent that even at $200, they were leagues ahead of the 530s. When I got the S8F, they were a clear upgrade over the DM6s as well (as you'd hope for the price increase!!). The difference between them and the 530s, in retrospect, isn't just night and day, it's a winter midnight and a summer noon. It's not comparable. As I said, I really enjoyed my 530s and they were TOTL for me for a decade... but next to the S8F they really just sound like watery trash.

(And I also want to be clear: I'm a pretty "cynical about audiophile claims" kind of guy; definitely more likely to understate differences than overstate them.)

edit: and as for replacements, i don't see much reason to even try anything other than the S8F at this point or in the near or mid future. i'll keep an eye out for new technology like the ACME8, as it becomes more advanced and refined, but these will do for now. The DM6 would also have been a great upgrade from the 530, and I wouldn't have been unhappy sticking with them—just couldn't help myself when I heard that there was something that did everything they did but better. Similarly, I'm sure your KPEs will scratch your upgrade itch; they should also be head and shoulders above the 530s. Give yourself a couple days to adjust, though!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #1,070 of 5,206
Very similar stories indeed. Honestly, at first I was just thinking, "it would be nice to replace these 530s with 535s, that way i can replace the cable with something like the Shure bluetooth adapter and have wireless headphones that actually sound good, unlike lots of stuff being released these days." I even ordered a pair of 535s off a seller on eBay after talking to Shure and seeing that they had totally EOL'd the 530s and wouldn't let me pay to "repair" them up to 535s.

While waiting for the 535s to arrive, I started browsing this lovely hell-site again for the first time in a decade, and heard about the DM6. I ordered it because it was less than my eBay 535s, and sent the 535s back immediately once they came in. I got the DM6s, and it was immediately apparent that even at $200, they were leagues ahead of the 530s. When I got the S8F, they were a clear upgrade over the DM6s as well (as you'd hope for the price increase!!). The difference between them and the 530s, in retrospect, isn't just night and day, it's a winter midnight and a summer noon. It's not comparable. As I said, I really enjoyed my 530s and they were TOTL for me for a decade... but next to the S8F they really just sound like watery trash.

(And I also want to be clear: I'm a pretty "cynical about audiophile claims" kind of guy; definitely more likely to understate differences than overstate them.)

edit: and as for replacements, i don't see much reason to even try anything other than the S8F at this point or in the near or mid future. i'll keep an eye out for new technology like the ACME8, as it becomes more advanced and refined, but these will do for now. The DM6 would also have been a great upgrade from the 530, and I wouldn't have been unhappy sticking with them—just couldn't help myself when I heard that there was something that did everything they did but better. Similarly, I'm sure your KPEs will scratch your upgrade itch; they should also be head and shoulders above the 530s. Give yourself a couple days to adjust, though!

Finally my ACME8 is shipped :) will get the tracking number tomorrow. i hope dhl handle it fast to me :D and i dont get trouble with the customs... germany sucks with something like that..
im very excited to give a listen to these freaking in ears :D

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #1,072 of 5,206
have to mention Penon at this point , they do really all they can to help avoiding the customs taxes.. will see if it works :)

My package from Linsoul had an invoice stating that my S8pros were "$30". It cleared customs right away for me. lol

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,074 of 5,206
For IEMs, I like something in-between Diffuse Field and Harman Target. Split the difference on bass and lower mids and follow DF curve after that. In other words, I like a generally neutral sound signature with extended bass and treble. I don't mind a little energy in the upper mids and upper treble, and also don't mind just a small amount of recessed mids either. For bass, I like flat or just slight elevated from flat bass response, as long as it's well extended down low.
Sounds like you’d like the S6Pro then. I was waffling but pretty well more firm I made the right choice than ever. It looks very similar to the ProPhile 8. Not as much bass as something like the 64 audio U18t and a bit more treble than something like the UERM. Definitely more Studio neutral.

From what I have seen and read the S8pro is tuned for all around Stage/Live and S6Pro is tuned for Studio/Vocal-Guitar Stage. Looking at both UE and 64 Audio flagships this rings true from just the FR and descriptions.

Here is the graph of the ProPhile 8: https://crinacle.com/graphs/inear-prophile-8/

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #1,076 of 5,206
I wonder if anyone else here purchased S10 or am I the only one? :) Can't wait to get them considering they are supposed to be "Flagship" until very recently when ACME8 appeared. I am selling my S6RUi if anyone is interested by the way.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #1,077 of 5,206
I wouldn't say the S8 Pros are studio reference, but live stage reference, if you catch my drift. They're very much what I'm looking for onstage, but probably a bit too much of a notch in the upper mids and a bit less sibilant than necessary for studio use. They are VERY "real" with recordings, though. The stuff I worked on comes right out on them like a great set of monitors in a "dark" room.

If I'm reading the reactions correctly, the S8 Freedoms are all that with the detail cranked to "11" and a bit more fun in the bass/ sparkle regions.

IIRC, HBB recommends the S6 Pro for the stereotypical studio/ HiFi sound.

I very well may see myself getting both Pro versions lol. The crazy thing is both of them combined are less than something like the ProPhile 8 and UERM... Really glad you like those monitors and working just the way you were wanting them to!

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,079 of 5,206
I wonder if anyone else here purchased S10 or am I the only one? :) Can't wait to get them considering they are supposed to be "Flagship" until very recently when ACME8 appeared. I am selling my S6RUi if anyone is interested by the way.
We maybe are the only two who goes for the flagship series .. but someone has to be first and give impressions .. maybe more will follow then or not :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back