Favre Watch
Aug 4, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 25
I was taken back by several developments today. First, I cannot believe Favre said he might not actually be retiring. Second, I'm even more aghast that Favre didn't get in front of yesterday's rumors to dispel them. Third, that ESPN reported hearsay, was perhaps most shocking of all.

*heavy sarcasm*

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #17 of 25
I'll believe it when it actually happens.  Until then, I hop he has a good season
biggrin.gif
  By the way ^V, I can't wait for college football!

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #18 of 25
Same here, i never believed it when they were passing around the rumors. 10 more days till preseason!!!! I've got pizza hut saved on my cell and a fridge full of beer, it couldn't come soon enough!!!

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
I think Favre is great, but does this remind anyone else of Michael Jordan's "retirement"?  (Yes, I like him, too.)

It does actually now that you bring it up, only difference was he never had a breakout season with the Wizards, but then again, leading the Bulls to two triple series championship wins is quit enough. Favre on the other hand, had only one, and then had another chance if it wasn't for Elway. Thinking back i miss the 90's, Troy Aikmen, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, John Elway, i'd watch those guys at their prime over Peyton or Brady any day.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #21 of 25
If he does come back, we will hear more retirement rumours next year.  The sports media obviously has nothing else to talk about...which is why they are reporting his retirement before he has officially said anything.  Now that I think about it, most of the news media likes to get the scoop first and sort out the facts later.

If he does leave the answer to his body, we may be listening to this until it gives out.  He did fine stepping in at the last minute last year, so I doubt that Childress cares if he takes a snap in preseason as long as he has him by the time the season starts.  I guess other players may resent it, but I would just tell them they can skip out on preseason after they play more consecutive games than anyone, win three consecutive MVPs, and set nearly every possible record at their position. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #22 of 25
^ I like Favre too, but myself blame him as much for this carousel. He could of quashed the reports yesterday but didn't Plus, he is bending Minnesota over for more money. I would probably do the same, and it would make me complicit too.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
 I like Favre too, but myself blame him as much for this carousel. He could of quashed the reports yesterday but didn't Plus, he is bending Minnesota over for more money. I would probably do the same, and it would make me complicit too.

Maybe he did no quash reports because he is not sure what shape his ankle will be in?  If he came out and made the statement "I still don't know if I will be back or not", it is not like the media would have just reported that fact and went about their business.  There would have been reports about how he was playing with us...in other words, we would have the same reporting we have now.

Let's not pretend that people would care if this was Hasselback or Bulger making these choices or lack there of.  He is only worth reporting on because people care what he does.  Why?  Because he is a legend in the sport AND he is still one of the best QBs in the league.  We have rarely (never?) seen an athlete at his age playing the way he plays.  When Aikman left the Cowboys, Young left the Niners, most people knew it was time because their performances were dropping.. Not the case here.

As far as him holding out for more money...I am sure that might be a benefit, but I just think he wants to wait to see how he feels...either that, or he does not want to go to training camp.  Either way, there is not really a downside for him to wait it out. 

Edit:  Let's blame ourselves for caring while we are at it.  If there was not any interest, the media would not be in such a hurry to get The Scoop.

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #25 of 25
Man, I just don't buy that. Seven million is plenty of benefit. Favre is a smart businessman and very well managed, from where I'm sitting. We'll, or at least I will agree to disagree about that. Unless he actually retires of course.

I'm mostly with your other points, save  I don't think one party is especially more to blame than the other. Of course, ESPN reports it because we're interested. Of course, Favre markets himself through the reporting, like a lot of big athlete's do. Of course we consume the reporting, because of the mentioned interest. It's more a symbiotic relationship as far I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back