Favourite pieces for cello and/or violin?
Dec 17, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #47 of 55
I believe Milstein is most commonly recommended for Bach's solo violin stuff, although I have minimal experience with him. There is a clip of Milstein playing the Chaconne on Youtube, and it's very nice, although I'm not sure if I prefer it to Hahn's rendition.

Dec 18, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #48 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shostakovich Cello Concerto No.1, Rostropovich/Ormandy is quite nice
biggrin.gif

One of my favorites! Particularly with Ormandy.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #49 of 55
Heard part of a Beethoven cello sonata on local public radio, so off to Amazon to get the "best". They said Fournier/Kempff. I've no idea how good it is relative to any others, since I've not heard them before.

What impresses me about the disc is that is the only one in memory of an instrumental duet where the instruments have distinct, separate, but integrated sound. On my K501, cello is at 10:00 and the piano at 2:00, but with some reverberant space around them. A 1965 "live" recording, which I take to mean concert. Quite remarkable.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #50 of 55
graveyard bump?..

I personally like the Mendelssohn and Beethoven Violin concertos...after listening to Hilary Hahn's versions, I really can't listen to anyone elses...

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #51 of 55
I have listened to many of the versions posted above and they are indeed excellent.
I love Bach's sonatas and partitas for violin solo. I have 3 versions including Perlman, but my favorite is Sergio Luca playing his Amati.
Tchaikovsky's and Mendelsohn's violin concertos are wonderful, as is Bach's concerto for 2 violins. Kreisler has some lovely pieces for Violin and Piano (Amazon.com: The Kreisler Album: Joshua Bell, Fritz Kreisler, Paul Coker: Music).

Favorite violinists: Joshua Bell, Perlman, Stern, Menuhin amongst others.
Faborite cellists: Cassals, Rostropovich, Yo Yo Ma

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
graveyard bump?..

Didn't see any sense in starting a new thread with a new msg. (this one being an exception, of course.)

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Favorite violinists: Joshua Bell, Perlman, Stern, Menuhin amongst others.

IMO Stern sounds like he's straining when he plays..
eek.gif
...especially in Symphonie Espagnole
And Menuhin has a very ripe, mushy sound...his Mendelssohn and Bruch are somewhat too sloppy.

But Bell and Perlman are awesome!

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #55 of 55
cello: elgar, dvorak, haydn, schumann, bach, lalo

violin: tchaikovsky, brahms, beethoven, bach, mozart, mendelssohn, bruch, vivaldi, sibelius, prokofiev, elgar, dvorak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back