Favourite pieces for cello and/or violin?
Jul 3, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 55
I'm not sure what happened, but I only paid $6USD for it at my local record store. Maybe the kid messed up when he rang it up. In addition, I'm of the school that any work done by du Pre is a masterpiece.

Just my 2 cents,
Bill

Jul 3, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 55
1. Rachmoninov Vocalise - this is my favorite piece whether sung, or played with strings.

2. Vivaldi Four Seasons - Ok: "DUH" just about everyone likes this. But this gets played around my house enough that my 5 year old knows what the differant seasons are and whats when the storms happen. I don't have a favorite recording that I can think of off the top of my head (I suspect there are much better recordings than the ones I have, but I very much like the piece by even a halfway decient ensemble.

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 55
Talking about not so classical pieces, I have come across a few
recordings with beautiful music that I really enjoyed:

"Kronos Caravan", Kronos Quartet, Nonesuch.
"Requiem for Adam", Kronos Quartet, Nonesuch.
"Vasks: Distant Light/Voices", Gidon Kremer, Elektra/Asylum
"Tabula Rasa", Gidon Kremer, Elektra/Asylum

Happy listening,
W

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 55
Dvorak's Cello concerto - performed by Pierre Fournier on Cello and George Szell conducting. Puts the famous Rostropovich/Karajan version to shame, IMO.

Oct 14, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 55
A fourth thumbs up for Bach's Cello Suites. About the only non-choral Bach I can stand.

--Chris

Oct 14, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #25 of 55
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by fractus

Haydn, Boccherini: Cello Concertos / Jacqueline du Pré, Barenboim, Barbirolli

Just got this the other day and it's a beautiful listen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fractus,

I am glad that you enjoy this. No one plays the Haydn concerto like du Pre, one of the most spectacular performances ever recorded. It is one of my favorites.

Happy listerning,
W

Oct 15, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Arzela
hempcamp: you don't like Bach's
keyboard works?

Harpsichords make me nauseous
280smile.gif

I can stomach the Concertos from time to time, and I cherish the choral works. And the Cello Suites -- mainly because they are such fine instrument studies. The rest of his music makes me feel like I should be wearing ruffles, velvet nickers, and a silk blouse and attending to some court function hosted in a stuffy imperial ballroom.

The Romanticist in me would much rather be made to feel as though I was dangerously close to falling from some sublime mountainous crag; or ponderously wasting away an afternoon under a shady old tree, cuddling with my lover and reading Goethe. Beethoven, Sibelius, Bruckner and Tchaikovsky make me feel this way -- Bach most certainly does not!

--Chris

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
The Romanticist in me would much rather be made to feel as though I was dangerously close to falling from some sublime mountainous crag; or ponderously wasting away an afternoon under a shady old tree, cuddling with my lover and reading Goethe. Beethoven, Sibelius, Bruckner and Tchaikovsky make me feel this way -- Bach most certainly does not!

--Chris

Have you tried Genn Gould's A State of Wonder?

up.gif
up.gif
/
5.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 10:42 AM Post #28 of 55
Hard to imagine that someone likes Bach but not his keyboard works....just makes you wonder.

About cello, yes, Rostropovich's cello suites is the best. Better than Fournier, Casals and Ma in my opinion.

Arpegio sonata by Schubert, someone mentioned this before, my recommended version would be Yo Yo Ma/Ax on Sony. The cello sound on this recording is particularly somber...you won't believe it until u hear it. Trust me on this one
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #29 of 55
hempcamp, I somewhat agree with you
concerning his works for chamber ensembles. I do think his best works
were keyboard compositions (I do cherish his choral works). Most notably WTK I and II, performed by Andras Schiff on piano.

Harpsichord is fine, as long as Gustav Leonhardt is playing...

Oct 15, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #30 of 55
About the cello suites again... If you haven't heard Heinrich Schiff's EMI-recording I think you should give it a try. I bought it last week, and my first impressions are positive.

Sorry, I Wrote Andras Schiff when I meant Heinrich Schiff. I guess you figured that out, though! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back