Favourite pieces for cello and/or violin?
Oct 17, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by ManiacSmile
How about not so classical suggestions,
Apocalyptica - Cult
Mark O' Connor - The American Seasons

YES! Apocalyptica absolutely, positively, rocks. The Unforgiven is so awesome. It's one of those songs that just makes you sit in awe with your eyes closed.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Dec 14, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Odi_et_Amo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, quite possibly the definitive recording. The filler is great, too: Janet Baker singing Sea Pictures.

My one problem: Don't you think it should be reissued at mid-price by now? It's certainly a contender for EMI's Great Recordings Series.

The last time I looked the Barbirolli recording was available at yourmusic but I don't see it anymore.
frown.gif

Anyway, you can find it at Amazon (original recording remastered) starting at $7.93 which is mid price for classical.

B0002VEQGG.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116190584_.jpg

Dec 14, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my favorites:

Bach, Cello suites, Rostropovich
Dvorak Cello Concerto, DuPre/Barenboim/Chicago Symphony
Saint-Saens Cello Concerto, Rostropovich/Giulini/London Phil.
Brahms, Sonata for Violin/Piano, Victoria Mullova/Anderszewski
Beethoven, Violin sonatas, Menuhin/Kempff
Brahms, Cello Sonatas, Rostropovich/Serkin
Beethoven Violin Concerto, Menuhin/Furtwangler
Schubert Arpeggione Sonata, Rostropovich/Britten
Enjoy,
W

x3 for Schubert Arpeggione Sonata, Rostropovich/Britten
A miracle chamber recording.
Lionel

Dec 14, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #37 of 55
Wow this revived thread was an oldie but goodie. I now like Bach and even harpsichords a lot more
eggosmile.gif

--Chris

Dec 14, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #38 of 55
John Zorn - Tahah
Bach - Violin and Oboe Concerto in C minor BWV 1060
Shostakovich - Cello Concerto No. 2
Shostakovich - Sonata for Violin and Piano (Op. 134 and Op. 147)
Shostakovich - Concerto for Violin and Orchestra No. 1 in A Minor (Op. 77)
Iannis Xenvakis - Kottos for solo cello
Iannis Xenvakis - Dikhthas for violin and piano
Iannis Xenvakis - Ikhoor for string trio
Mendelssohn - Concertor for Violin and Orchestra in E Minor (Op. 64)

All I can think of at the moment...
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #39 of 55
Bach - Chaconne. Very nice.

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon (original recording remastered) starting at $7.93 which is mid price for classical.

Don't know how 7.93 is "mid price" for classical... Naxos CDs generally sell for that much, and they are considered "cheap" for classical. Expensive might be 20$ or more for a CD, but I consider 11 dollars to be "mid price"

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know how 7.93 is "mid price" for classical... Naxos CDs generally sell for that much, and they are considered "cheap" for classical. Expensive might be 20$ or more for a CD, but I consider 11 dollars to be "mid price"

That's the price from the partners for used or like new. The retail price is around $12.00, you are correct in your statement.
wink.gif

While I'm at it, I've put in pictures of some of my favorite violin and cello recordings. Some of these are on the expensive side, but they are totally worth the money.
cool.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Mendelssohn-P...ef=sr_1_1/102-0186141-5587377?ie=UTF8&s=music
B000B8656O.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
102-0186141-5587377

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #44 of 55
Wow, I see tons of recordings that I have recommended here, and without a doubt, they are quite beautiful.

Rostropovich's Bach Cello Suites, Dvorak Cello Concerto No.1, and his Arpeggione with Britten as the pianist

If you like Bach's string, then you definitely need to try the Partitas and Sonatas for solo violin. I have a recording by Henryk Szeryng, which I like, but the general consensus of the forum recommends another violinist, whose name I regrettably forgot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back