Favorite Orchestral Soundtracks
Aug 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #16 of 53
For me, this is THE classical soundtrack of all times :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_%26_June

While most classical soundtracks are music written specially for the film, this one uses regular  compositions d'epoque - and were it not for the fact that I was familiar with most of these compositions before, I could have sworn that they were written for that exact spot in the movie - they really made the movie to fit the music like a glove. It achieves that most sought after quality in film music - you do not "hear" it as such while watching ( if you are not totally in love with the music in advance, as me was ). 

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Henry-June-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/1572315

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #17 of 53

Two great soundtracks. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #18 of 53

Two great soundtracks. 

I only heard part of them, but know it's great. Music from Bernard Hermann is usually good. I'm less enthusiastic about Philip Glass, but perhaps "the hours" soundtrack  is his best work.

There's an intriguing fashion clip, that use a sample from Vertigo theme by Bernard Hermann:

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 53
If you like Glass's neo-Romantic works, you might enjoy The Illusionist or his Dracula soundtrack, which has a string version and a piano transcription. I prefer the piano version.

Both the movie itself with his new score for it and the string version of it are available on youtube.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #20 of 53
I personally love most movie soundtracks, but here's my cream of the crop:

Atonement (Dario Marianelli)

A tragic story, due to in no small part, the soundtrack. The main theme utilises a typewriter as a percussive beat, providing a unique taste to the otherwise simple theme. The highlight of the soundtrack, however, is "Elegy For Dunkirk": the soldiers' singing (in-film) is layered throughout the song, and juxtaposes nicely with the sorrow and irony of the chant.

Skyfall (Thomas Newman)

On the surface, it's an action score (nevertheless, quite an exciting and creative one). Deeper down, it reminisces of James Bond's iconic motifs, while balancing it with the 21st century style. All in all, a brilliant blend of new and old.

The Bourne Ultimatum (John Powell)

Another 'action' score, but almost stylistically different from Skyfall. Whereas Skyfall was grand and majestic, The Bourne Ultimatum is much more brooding and percussive. "Tangiers" and "Waterloo" best displays these traits.

Game of Thrones (Season 3)

Ramin Djawadi builds on his success from the previous seasons, and delivers what is, in my opinion, one of the best scores in TV history. While everyone is now familiar with the main theme, the main focus of this score is the Lannister's theme, which is beautifully delivered in "A Lannister Always Pays His Debts". This dark theme serves as an underlying reminder of the Lannister's focus in this season. As with previous seasons, each 'focus group' in the series has its own distinctive style: the themes of the East invoke a sense of mystique, the North of loneliness, Dragonstone of corruption and evil.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 53
The most touching....

SOMEWHERE IN TIME....

John BARRY

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #24 of 53
  What do you think about:

The Bourne Supremacy by John Powell

The Bourne Legacy by James Newton Howard

Supremacy's a slightly neutered version of Ultimatum (coz Ultimatum built upon it pretty well). It features many of the motifs that are heard in Ultimatum.

Legacy, don't even get me started. I like Howard occasionally, but he butchered it. Well, to be more fair to him, he only butchered the Bourne feel: he turned the score into a generic action score.

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 53

The euphonic trombone solo on the theme song ( at least in the version i heard?) i heard..
is playing back in my head, thanks for the foto. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 53
  The euphonic trombone solo on the theme song ( at least in the version i heard?) i heard..
is playing back in my head, thanks for the foto. 

I've played trombone since 1996 (though not much anymore) and even got to perform live with Ira Sullivan once. Some of the concerts I participated in (mostly orchestral material) were recorded, but I don't think those qualify as soundtracks.
tongue.gif

A few more orchestral soundtracks I especially enjoy are:

Attack On Titan Original Soundtrack

Black Butler II Original Soundtrack

Blood-C soundtrack volumes 1 and 2

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Original Soundtrack

Final Fantasy XIII Original Soundtrack

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Original Soundtrack (my favorite soundtrack of all time)

Final Fantasy Type-0 Original Soundtrack

Before Meteor Final Fantasy XIV Original Soundtrack

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Original Soundtrack (1, 2, and 3)

The Legend Of Zelda 25th Anniversary Special Orchestra CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back