Favorite Jazz album (50's/60's) and why?
Jul 22, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #196 of 264

Quote:
I love Jackie McLean!

Some of my favorites are Capuchin Swing, High Frequency, Jackie's Bag, Jackknife, Bluesnik and Right Now.

Great stuff!  they're all good, Jackies bag and Right Now are two of my fave, faves. 

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #197 of 264

Quote:
…yup, I used to follow Jackie Mac around…luvvv that biting edge on his tone. He used to play these fantastic Xmas-week gigs at the Village Vanguard with Cedar Walton and Billy Higgins; it was ridiculous!! I'll never forget the last time I saw him, though, at another NYC club: Grachan Moncur III was also on the gig, and when I was leaving I bumped into Kareem Abdul-Jabbar!! Jabbar's a pretty huge jazz fan (tragically, he lost thousands of vintage LPs in a fire some years ago), and he knew Mac when they were kids growing up in Harlem.

so here's a question for you, LugBug1. Do you know what happened when Mac met Ornette? Bust this, y'all…

I really thought I had that album.. but I haven't! I remember reading about it when I was collecting his stuff, but must have bypassed.... though I wasn't into Ornette at the time, but I love the guy now.  

anyways its on my list now
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #199 of 264
Duke Ellington was so prolific for so long that, for me, choosing a favorite among his records is almost as silly as choosing among Miles Davis albums. But …And His Mother Called Him Bill is easily Top 5. It's the Maestro's tribute to his longtime composer-collaborator Billy Strayhorn, recorded just after Strayhorn died of cancer in 1967 (the album premiered "Blood Count", Strayhorn's deathbed composition). Boy, did the Ellington band dig deep on this one! It's magisterial-sounding from start to finish. The reissued version from the late '80s has a slightly different sequence (and cover; the original art is below), and as much as I hate to say it, I like the 2nd one a little better 'cause it starts more upbeat…you can hear Ellington himself counting off the tempo before the band launches into "Boo-dah". Either way, it's a perfect album, which is why I added it to the "Flawless Albums" thread some time ago. Belongs here, too…

…another interesting tidbit…rather shrewdly, Ellington chose not to do the three Strayhorn tunes that everyone is most familiar with: "Take The 'A' Train", probably because it was the band's theme song; they played it every night…"Chelsea Bridge", perhaps because it had become a standard and was being recorded everywhere else…and "Lush Life", which, amazingly, the band never recorded, probably 'cause its best done with a vocalist and after a certain period Ellington didn't always employ one…

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #201 of 264

Quote:
Lets keep this alive, need more jazz :)

Loving this guy right now, 1963, clarinet, vibraphone, piano, and drums is such a unique and mellow sounding combination. Check it out :)

Yeah, that's a hot date…on some of the fast tunes, Gene Krupa and Lionel Hampton come close to rocking out. It always reminds me of why Jerry Nolan, the drummer in the New York Dolls, idolized Krupa.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #202 of 264
just want to post this one because its one of my favorite albums of all time. It's not perfect but I just love the way its recorded, so loose and care free you can tell they are having a great time in the studio.

Ofcourse there's the artwork too!

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #203 of 264
…when I look around the music biz now I don't even know how records this bracingly, beautifully out-of-step with the mainstream got made, but, hey, in the cultural scheme of 1964 even avant-garde jazz couldn't have seemed much crazier than, say, a band of four blues-worshiping melodists from Liverpool, right? 29 minutes long and, yes, a tenor sax-led trio that's s'posed to haunt you while altering the way your brain processes music…was actually designed to do that…if you don't believe me, ask the bassist, who now makes a mint serving up jazz standards with Keith Jarrett…he wouldn't have gotten there without entering this portal first…luv it to death…

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #204 of 264
…couldn't let this thread go away without namechecking Sun Ra, the extra-terrestrial pianist-bandleader who went back to Saturn in 1993 after giving the Earth about 40 years of fine music and spectacle. The thing about Ra was that the theatrics of his Arkestras (funny costumes, stage antics and such) served cross purposes: They got folks to notice him, but sometimes not really to take his music seriously, which is a HUGE mistake. He was an Ellington/Fletcher Henderson disciple who had one of the only enduring big bands that played bluesy bebop rather than swing, and then when the avant-garde and soul music were afoot, his band mastered those, too. Also, he recorded many albums for his own label when nobody else was doing stuff like that…I really dig the titles of his '50s/'60s discs…Nubians Of Plutonia, Interstellar Low Ways, Angels and Demons At Play, Heliocentric Worlds, Vol. 1, Jazz in Silhouette, Super Sonic Jazz and, of course, the one below…it's big-band music filtered through globalism, soul, noise and whatever else Ra was hearing at the time.

…one other thing Ra had in common with Ellington was that some of his sidemen (John Gilmore, Marshall Allen, Pat Patrick, singer June Tyson) stayed with him forever…so loyal that they rarely recorded outside his band…

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #205 of 264
Just a massive big thank you "tru blu" and the others that have contributed to this thread. Try to keep it going, as Jazz is such an important part of music and music culture, and where else are you going to find out what is good or not so good? It's forums such as this.

Cheers
wink_face.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #206 of 264
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds

Brilliant album from 1961, the song "Love Theme from 'The Robe'" has been sampled by nujabes. This album is wonderful and definitely one of my favorites. the mastering is wonderful, the music is exotic filled with reed instruments. Set's a wonderful mood over the entire album, definitely a must have :)

I've heard about sun ra, and will pick up some of his stuff to try out in a few weeks, thanks for the recommendation tru blu.

Also A couple others I haven't seen mentioned yet, and I absolutely adore:

A classic.. great album.

I love impression albums, and miles really captures Spain in this album.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #207 of 264
…couldn't let this thread go away without namechecking Sun Ra, the extra-terrestrial pianist-bandleader who went back to Saturn in 1993 after giving the Earth about 40 years of fine music and spectacle.

Extra-terrestrial? Shoot! Sun ra was from alabama. :D

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #209 of 264
I will most definitely check it out. I am a big fan. And sun ra makes me proud to be from birmingham.

Speaking of local heroes, the inimitable cleveland eaton, who played bass with count basie among others, is from here as well.
I was lucky enough to have his quintet play at my wedding. Will never forget it. :D

Oh, and props to the great dinah washington, my other fave alabama artist! If i dont count nat king cole, lionel hampton. :wink:

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #210 of 264
Thanks for the video tru blu, that was nice. I just ordered:

Not a bad deal for $13 shipped (Amazon):

Disc: 1
1. Brainville
2. Call For All Demons
3. Transitions
4. Possession
5. Street Named Hell
6. Lullaby For Realville
7. Future
8. Swing A Little Taste