Favorite Headphone Moments in Songs
Jan 19, 2008 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Brian loves music

100+ Head-Fier
Having browsed through the forums and not seen any thread dedicated to this, I was curious what everyone's favorite headphone moments in their favorite songs were. Whether it's really crazy sounding effects, voices, climax's of songs that come out really well on headphones, great bass moments, or ridiculous sound stage moments...share them with us.

Some of mine:

First 40 seconds of Like A Pen (off the Knife's Silent Shout album)
3:10-3:14 in Idioteque (off Radiohead's Kid A)
0:06-0:17 of Who Could Win a Rabit (off Animal Colletive's Sung Tongs)
1:30 when the bass comes in on Atlas (off Battle's Mirrored)
First 30 seconds of Nude (off Radiohead's In Rainbows)
3:43-4:26 of Let Down (off Radiohead's OK Computer)
1:36-2:00 of Hunter (off Bjork's Homogenic)
First minute of Tacobel Cannon (off Ratatat's Classics)
4:30-4:40 of For Reverand Green (off Animal Collective's Starwberry Jam)

Many more to come!

Now what are some of yours?

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the very first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

haha that's great. Listened to that album last night in the dark for the second time in a little while...so incredible. Everyone noise in that album is perfectually excentuated and made to be a vital...in my opinion that is the definition of good music.

let me add, 4:54 into Sigur ros' vaka (off the () album). Headphones make it even more intimate...this song is pure beauty. It gives me shivers everytime listening to it and a lot of the time makes my eyes watery3

for the first week (about a week and a half ago) or so with my new headphones (first plunge into high end audio) i kept the volume middium to low to make sure I didn't damage them before fullying breaking them in. Now i've begun to crank these puppies up and it's really incredible. So much fun

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 39
The super-fuzz break after the first vocal line in Colour Haze's song Sun off their album Periscope.

If anyone here likes fuzz, you owe it to yourself to hear this band.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 39
When I first heard a patch cord being swapped/inserted into an amp on Chick Corea/Return to Forever's "Spain" -and got excited about it, I knew I had crossed the threshold into audiophile madness.

More on topic, Can's "Bel-Air" remains one of my all time favourite headphone songs. The fact that it clocks in at nearly 20 minutes just makes it that much sweeter. It's my official "mini vacation on a disc".

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 39
The guitar intro on Dave Matthews Band's "Stay", nothing fantastically complicated, I just love listening to it. No idea why.

Jan 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 39
The Becoming, by Nine Inch Nails, from 2:47 to 3:05. You have some simple guitar with high pitched clicking, what sounds a sea of pebbles hitting a beach like waves of water do (I'd say it's water except it's too harsh sounding for water, so some kind of stones is what I can imagine closest to the sound), a voice that sounds a bit like it's coming from under water, and some soft "aaahhhhaaaaa" singing.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The guitar intro on Dave Matthews Band's "Stay", nothing fantastically complicated, I just love listening to it. No idea why.

that whole sounds terrific on headphones...used to be a big DMB fan going to concerts in the northwest all the time. Not so much anymore, but still enjoy them every once in a while.

I'll have to check out NIN...

let me add 1:10-1:40ish on Animal Collectives' cuckoo cuckoo (off strawberry jam). I wanna get high a listen to this album hehe

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 39
Massive Attack- 100th Window... pretty much the whole album
smily_headphones1.gif
Not their best musically, but technically stunning.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
let me add, 4:54 into Sigur ros' vaka (off the () album). Headphones make it even more intimate...this song is pure beauty. It gives me shivers everytime listening to it and a lot of the time makes my eyes watery3

You need to check out the Vaka album, it has the original + 3 variations. Amazing stuff and it's free on SR's site.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 39
John Butler Trio - Ocean - Live at St. Gallen. When he really gets into the song strumming as intently as as he can at 9 mins in, with the crowd cheering at the top of their voices, it blows me away. The remaining 2-odd minutes are intense to say the very least.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing and Chitlins Con Carne on The Sky is Crying. The CD was AAD way back when and the intensity of every note he plays is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back