Favorite durable IEM under $125
Aug 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Dorfmeister

100+ Head-Fier
I need to replace the Shure E2C's I use with my ipod.

I am pretty tough on my IEM's and I am wondering which IEM's you feel are most durable in the range under about $125 and do not require a headphone amp.

Thanks

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely the Westone UM1.

I wouldn't be so quick there with that suggestion. Many people on Head-fi have rated the Head-Direct RE2's to be better SQ wise but in terms of microphonics and isolation, the UM1's are better. Depends what the OP wants however.

Both are good build quality so durablity isn't an issue for both.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't be so quick there with that suggestion. Many people on Head-fi have rated the Head-Direct RE2's to be better SQ wise but in terms of microphonics and isolation, the UM1's are better. Depends what the OP wants however.

Both are good build quality so durablity isn't an issue for both.

I figured that since he asked for IEMs that he wants IEMs, and since he wants high build quality, I'd recommend something from the king of build quality, Westone.

I have no qualms about recommending the UM1 for IEMs under that price under any circumstance. I almost get the feeling I sound like a Westone shill sometimes, but they honestly make great, no nonsense stuff.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 21
canalphones sit just inside the outer part of the ear canal, they are not very good at isolation. IEMs sit much deeper (a hell of a lot deeper in some cases) and isolate far better.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....hmmmm.....what is the difference between canalphones and in ear monitors?

What synaesthetic said. For some examples:

Things like the RE1 and RE2, Sennheiser CX300, Yuin OK series, Ultimate Ears metro.fi, etc. are canal phones.

Things like the Westone lineup, the Shure lineup, the Etymotic lineup, etc. are IEMs. I'd call your E2Cs IEMs as well.

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured that since he asked for IEMs that he wants IEMs, and since he wants high build quality, I'd recommend something from the king of build quality, Westone.

I have no qualms about recommending the UM1 for IEMs under that price under any circumstance. I almost get the feeling I sound like a Westone shill sometimes, but they honestly make great, no nonsense stuff.

The UM1 looks ideal.

Any recommendations as to the best place to buy them?

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The UM1 looks ideal.

Any recommendations as to the best place to buy them?

Their regular retail price is about $110-$150 if I remember correctly. You could wait for a deal on the sales forums here, but they don't come up for sale very often (people like them) and when they do they sell quickly. I'd suggest waiting for a while if you're not in a hurry. I paid $80 for my UM1s when I bought them from another member here.

If you want to pay new prices for them, eBay is the cheapest place I believe. This is a well respected and known seller, so don't hesitate to deal with them. There are some others for slightly lower prices I believe (not including shipping), but that seller is a safe bet.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 21
I beg the difference on IEM vs canalphone definition.

Triple.fi10 and Super.fi 5 are all shallowly inserted, so they are canalphone instead of IEM? Defining what is canalphone and what is IEM based on how deep the eartips is inserted is simply flawed.

IEM is just a fancy name we like to use instead of typing the long words of 'canalphone'. In fact, IEM is originally referred to canalphone used in an In-Ear-Monitor-System. Any canalphone, regardless of how deep it inserted into your ear canal, can be called IEM when used in such system.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just curiious, what happened to the e2c? i have them and they are very durable.. 4 years and counting.

Yeah, they are durable. I've had mine for 3.5 years of pretty heavy use but now the right cable is fraying where it meets the earpiece.

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether the UM-1 is more durable than the E2C?

If not I wonder if E2C's can still be obtained?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back