Favorite Dress Shirt Brands
Sep 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 27
All the brands mentioned are excellent. Turnbull and Asser is my favorite. Brooks Brothers are very good and my usual daily work and travel shirt.

For something different you could try a dress linen guayabera from Colombian designer Miguel Caballero. The gold line is custom made and bulletproof. Worn by dictators and politicians world wide.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 27
I can usually get away with more casual long-sleeved shirts, but for dress, I prefer Brooks Brothers. Their customs offer a terrific array of fabrics and cuts.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 27
All of the cuts mentioned so far fit me like a senator, with way too much fabric at the waist and not enough through the shoulders. I think that BB has some slim stuff now, and the Thom Browne line there is nice, but I still prefer a more triangular fit; if I had an unlimited budget, Jil Sander and Prada would be my first choices. Still, J Crew has a nice line by Thomas Mason for about half the price of those brands, and Zegna on bluefly is about half the price as well (a little boxier, but well made, and the bigger collars make hiding your tie easier). You can also get a tailor to take in a little fabric on the sides to get the right fit -- most people don't tailor shirts, but taking in just a little can make a difference.

Another interesting maker is Etro. Colors between bold and crazy. Sometimes the bolds are nice.

I realize as I'm typing this that I'm wearing a shirt that looks like a tablecloth and is cut like a refrigerator, so maybe take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of the cuts mentioned so far fit me like a senator, with way too much fabric at the waist and not enough through the shoulders.

Really? I heard most of your shirts were tight in the waist and loose in the neck.

Har har. Just kidding.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I heard most of your shirts were tight in the waist and loose in the neck.

Har har. Just kidding.

See you in the gym.
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 27
Couldn't resist, West, old joke from college.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 27
I buy mine at Nordstrom, but I'm pretty convinced I look like a dork most days.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 27
Bought a black Hugo Boss dress shirt in Paris... definitely my favorite shirt of all time.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by esco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought a black Hugo Boss dress shirt in Paris... definitely my favorite shirt of all time.

Cool! Hugo Boss made uniforms for Hitler Youth, too. (Seriously.)

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 27
Select offerings from Hörst Dusseldorf have been very good to me both in terms of fit and resilience, and reactions from the ladies.

Of course, immaculate tie selection is paramount.

Pretentious language is optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back