Favorite computer/laptop brands?
Jun 22, 2008 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Warhawk

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just wondering because all I've ever used have been Dells, at home and at other houses.
And no matter how many problems my dad has with them, he always buys more Dells...

So what do you people recommend, or just love to use?

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 51
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads- their laptops are built very strong, to the point where their warranties are sometimes wasted. They cost more, but in the long-run, you see why, as they physically outlast other brands. They also have the best keyboards you'll find on a laptop (although some people say Apple laptops rival this, but more corporate professionals swear by Thinkpad laptops).

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 51
x2 robojack.

oddly enough for the past few days the lenovo laptops have turned out to be much cheaper than all their competition due to their insane ~40% discounts (25% immediate discount + 5% student discount + 10% from coupons available online). t9300 + 2gb ram + fx 570m + 15.4" wuxga lcd + 160gb 7200rpm hdd for ~$1500. for the same price, with dell you can only get a t5750 at most i think. BIG processor difference. the x series laptops (12.1") are going for 1500 for a fully loaded system.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 51
I would go with Dell. I have never had any issue with my old Dell C600, and I definitely have no problems with my Dell M1330 at the moment. On the other hand, I had a bunch of issues with HP...and Compaq...and Toshiba. Acer is good though.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 51
Apple Macbook Pro and Sony VGN-TZ298N/XC.

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 51
So far, I got a macbook and Vaio as laptops. I loved my macbook, highly recommend one and have got several friends and families to get one.
For PC, I build my own pc, that's why I'm not interested to have an apple for desktop/pc.

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 51
Dell's good. Inspiron isnt that good. The Vostro series is good.

Sony is just way too over priced for the quality and config.

Toshiba is fine. HP laptops have very good looking screens and are pretty good overall.

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 51
I 've been happy with my wife's Dell, my father in law has a Macbook, and another family member has a sony Vaio.. only the mac has needed repair..

My work laptop is as reliable as can be, thinkpad T60, and my old HP laptop was great..

If I had to buy again.. I'd go IBM for a full size laptop... but i'm thinking of a netbook later in the summer instead.. MSI wimd most likely

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 51
Don't hate me but I've been pretty happy with Dells, never had any problems. HP's weren't bad either but we had a couple of problems with ours. And of course Apples are great.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads- their laptops are built very strong, to the point where their warranties are sometimes wasted. They cost more, but in the long-run, you see why, as they physically outlast other brands. They also have the best keyboards you'll find on a laptop (although some people say Apple laptops rival this, but more corporate professionals swear by Thinkpad laptops).

You know what's odd? Two of my friends have thinkpads, and they both had serious issues. But then again, you see more elderly thinkpads than any other laptops. And yes, best keyboards. My Dell has a pretty good keyboard, too, however.

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 51
mymac_0000.png

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mymac_0000.png

Very cool pic. For me I rarely had problems with HPs, Dells, and my personal Sony laptop. We have about 30 HP laptops and around 15 to 20 Dell laptops with no issues so far and most have been in service for about 2 to 3 years. Also, the Lenovo's are great, great business laptops, with a fantastic keyboard as others have mentioned. Their keyboard is the best in the business IMHO. I know folks with Macbooks as well and they love them. Lastly I've owned Toshibas in the past and it was pretty good overall. I know one of 5 that have been working since 2003 and still going strong. This is just from my experience of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Appreciate everyone's input thus far.

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 51
I use Apple laptops with OS X. A Mac gives me compatibility with some commercial software not available on Linux, and I use it with the iPod and an iPhone. I love the seamless interoperability Apple offers.

But I build my own desktop machines and run Linux on them. I love Open Source and, after initial configuration, Linux gives me zero problems. I network and use the same OSS apps on each.

I don't play video games, so this setup gives me the best of both worlds and covers everything I need or want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back