Favorite computer/laptop brands?
Jun 22, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #16 of 51
Apple's for me.
But I find Lenovo to build nice laptops as well. Use one at work, which gets the job done quite nicely.

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #18 of 51
In this order.

IBM Thinkpads (up to the r/t4x series)
Lenovo Thinkpads (r/x/t6x series and up)
Dell laptops (surprise, surprise)
Apple (Really depends)
Sony (it's a crapshoot)

And way down at the bottom of the list

Compaq
Gateway
Acer

Terrible, terrible laptops. Ugh.

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #19 of 51
Well, my PC's are custom built, mine, dads, sisters.

My dad has a Dell laptop, and so does my sister. Inspiron and Vostro 1510. My dad is an ex-IBM computer engineer, servers, tape automated backup silo's etc, not pc's.

He rates Lenovo's and Toshiba's high, followed by Dell. He has heard bad things about HP, Compaq and Acer, as have I, I heard acer's fall apart pretty quick. Floppy lids, screws falling out etc. Sony's are very high priced and are no better than Dell's IMO, and not as good as Lenovo's i think.

Asus i have heard are pretty good, and i like the Eee 900, glad they replaced the huge bezel with a bigger screen.

My sisters Vostro looks sweet, like a macbook really, slot loading, squared edges, but my dad prefers my Toshiba A100-49, and i prefer my sisters Vostro. My laptop was bought used, top spec for £340 with a belking bag. I have had it about 4 months and its still in great working condition. My dads inspiron was abused by my sister before she got hers for a couple of years, and the charger plug broke at the strain relief, and the hand rest edge has gone white. Her Vostro is only a week old, and the shiney lid scratches easily, but ok so far.

The Vostro was £316, and is slightly better than mine spec wise, but was brand new, but no bag. Dell had a £50 off deal and free shipping, so it was a top deal!

I like the Lenovo design, and build quality, but people think your laptop is ancient if they dont know their stuff...

Apple are a whole different kettle of fish. Never used one, and dont really want one, but people here seem happy.

Matt

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 51
For laptops, Lenovo is the best. They have great designs, EXCELLENT service, and my z60t has been rock solid for 2 years now. Not a single hardware related lockup or anything.

There are no good desktop "brands", it's always best to build your own. You'll end up with a much better specced / more reliable machine that way.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #21 of 51
i stay away from sony/apple, overpriced

i always seem to end up with dell, i had a crappy dell desktop, parents choice
an inspiron 8200 a while ago that broke 1 month out of warrenty

but my xps m1710 is amazing
it slid down 10 woodden stairs into a wood skirting board and didnt have a mark on it! id leanyt it on top of a clothes pile at the top of the stairs, it was on, lid closed, then i heard

CLATTER CLATTER

my heart sank, i thought id just lost a shed load of money,
the fancy lights were still on, and everything was fine! i was impressed

dells expensive ones are good, cheap ones aweful

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...more reliable machine that way.

For less money generally.

Dads is stable generally.

My sisters battery on the motherboard has gone flat so forget s its bios settings and looses its damn boot order and goes back to 1.03ghz! Must order another!

And mine crashes at my mums and gets bust, then replace ram at dads and runs solid as a rock... then home, and very unstable, then at dads unstable, replace ram, and solid again, i think...

Replacing mobo and upgrading power supply next with the next lot of upgraded parts, and bios battery, mine goes occasionally...

Matt

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[..]it was on[...]

Wow even luckier!

I'd like to think my tosh would survive that.

My dad is disabled, and when working as an engineer for IBM, they supplied him the lightest and thinest IBM/Lenovo made at that time costing around £4000 at the time, as he was struggling getting into the big corporate buildings to the servers at the time with one walking stick, all his tools, and laptop, so they gave him a roller case, a backpack laptop bag, and the Lenovo. Shame he had to return it when made redundant/retired...They wanted too much £ for him to keep it, so he returned it.

It fell of of a server, about 7 feet, to the floor, lid open, turned on, he picked it up, still running the test it was doing HDD still alive, not a mark or dent on the casing! Built solidly.

I couldnt afford a Lenovo with a spec like my Tosh used on the internet... I like the small screens on them too... Small, sturdy and fast the top models, and the ones with the docking pad are a great idea too.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #25 of 51
Using an ibm t30 i got on ebay for 400$ a few years ago - its aging but still in fairly good condition. Too bad all of the bundled Think software isnt so good...

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #26 of 51
I build me desktops myself so I give Nvidia, AMD and Samsung (for HDDs) a praise.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I were to buy a brand PC, I'd honestly have no idea.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I build me desktops myself so I give Nvidia, AMD and Samsung (for HDDs) a praise.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I were to buy a brand PC, I'd honestly have no idea.

for that, seagate, nvidia, are what i have in my laptop, always had nvidia

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #29 of 51
Apple iMac here. Have used Windows based desktops for years. Tried a Mac about 7yrs ago and have been hooked since. I no I'm paying a premium for the hardware but to me It seems worth it. Love the design and don't miss the software issues I had with my Windows machine. Plus it is really nice to be skilled in both OSX and Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back