Favorite computer/laptop brands?
Jun 22, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #31 of 51
I'm a card-carrying member of the Apple Fanboy club, so I'd obviously go with a macbook given the choice. If you have to have something else, just make sure it has plenty of ultrabright blue LEDS. They make the computer way faster :p

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #33 of 51
Depends on the usage, but the Lenovo/IBM is very solid and reliable. There are "better looking" laptops though.

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #34 of 51
My favorite laptop brands are Sony's Vaio line and IBM's Thinkpad line. Of course, most of the time, I end up having to look at what I can afford over what I want, and have been running with Dell and Toshiba for the last 7 years.

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #35 of 51
If you're going with a laptop I've been very happy in dealing with Lenovo. I'd stray from HP on grounds of customer service, but the product isn't that bad.

If you're looking for something small you could try the MSI Wind that just came out... it's a subnotebook like the eee PC, but it's a little bigger and looks pretty impressive.

On the desktop side it's much more economic to build your own and deal with the manufacturers than it is to buy a "brand".

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #36 of 51
Dell is great. Buy the three year, in-home service warranty, though, if you are buying a laptop. My 700m required a screen and keyboard replacement within two years, both done at no additional cost to me. I believe the laptop form gets more abuse and needs the additional protection. I never purchase more than a one year in-home service warranty for a desktop unit.

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dell is great. Buy the three year, in-home service warranty, though, if you are buying a laptop. My 700m required a screen and keyboard replacement within two years, both done at no additional cost to me. I believe the laptop form gets more abuse and needs the additional protection. I never purchase more than a one year in-home service warranty for a desktop unit.

Is it possible to renew the warranty after it's finished? I had to have a motherboard replacement after 10 months, so I'm now skeptical of the quality of Dell products. However, aside from that issue, everything is perfect.

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #39 of 51
Desktop - Build your Own with purchases from a good company like Newegg

Apple- Very elegant and compact

Laptop - Thinkpad because they are built like tanks (I have seen other business notebooks with a ton of flex, some HPs in that)
Apple - Get the job done, OSX is nice.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #40 of 51
I'm big on Apple and Lenovo laptops. One of the things I like about Apple is that their laptops are very sleek with the slot-loading drive and flush-mounted battery. I've had problems in the past with cd-rom doors or hard drive covers breaking off, the Apples don't have that problem.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to renew the warranty after it's finished? I had to have a motherboard replacement after 10 months, so I'm now skeptical of the quality of Dell products. However, aside from that issue, everything is perfect.

Yes just costs a bit more then had you gotten it when it was under warrenty

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #42 of 51
Let me see: I've had Toshibas, Gateways, Sonys, tablet pc's and Macs runnning both OSX and Windows XP. I'll keep my Mac though....the ratio of freezing problems is a gazillion to one. (one being the Mac)

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #43 of 51
My Toshiba Sat. lasted just over five years May/2003 to June 2008, display server or some such went and I may check to see if it's fixable. Have my eye on a Dell Inspiron with a 160GB HD though so we'll see. Only going to use it for surfing and iTunes so it should work out ok.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #44 of 51
I have a Fujitsu LifeBook S-series notebook, and my girlfriend has a Portable One MX notebook (which at the time was a modified Asus W3V). Closing in on three years for each of them, and not a problem in sight. I like the design of these much better than the major brands, and I love the screens.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #45 of 51
My vote goes to IBM/Lenovo & Asus for laptops. IBM were built like tanks - my T20 still works without a hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back