Favorite and most hated instruments?
Aug 6, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #31 of 94
Love: bass, cello
Hate: piano, flute, sax (I actually like each of these instruments, but as said by others, on cheesy/bad recordings... oh man.)

Aug 6, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #33 of 94
Most hated:
Scratch vocals used in a lot of metal and hardcore. To me its like throwing your guitar across the room to make a sound, thats just not how its played and definatly not good sounding.

Aug 7, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #36 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpeck
most hated: Everything on St. Anger (Metallica)

Fixed.
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #38 of 94
Kenny G's Sax.. just .. stop.. pla.. grrr *sound of sax smashing on the road*

there, that's better...

Aug 7, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #39 of 94
Fav:
CELLO! (now you know the reason for my username . . .) also like piano, flute, harp.

Hate:
saxaphone, a lot of brass, guitar (too overused).

basshead.gif
its curious how a lot of people love the artificial clarity of ety's, while i prefer the rich smooth sound of the shures. i guess i could compare the shures to a cello, while the ety's are a violin.

Aug 7, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #40 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
amen to that.

I hate slap-bass and acoustic guitar...if you want acoustic tones, get an acoustic simulator for an electric, it plays better, feels betteer and is better.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill you now... you just named two of my favorite instruments. OK, slap bass isn't an instrument persay, but I'm a bassist, umkay? And I play acoustic guitar for fun. Slapping is one of my favorite things to do when I'm bored, or someone wants me to play something. Believe me, between slapping, popping, and hammer-ons, I can give you an awesome bass solo.

As for acoustic guitar, a well made guitar sounds beautiful. Electric can never replace that. Pure acoustic tone has it's place, as does pure electric, nice blues crunch, stack tone, and full-on metal distortion.

Right then... as for me, favorite instrument has to be guitar, which includes bass. So versatile, it's not even funny. Coming in at 2nd is a grand piano. I love the sound of well recorded (or live) piano with someone who knows what they're doing. So beautiful.

Least favorite has to be most brass and stringed instruments in the hands of people who suck. Actually, any instrument with people who suck. There's nothing so horrible as someone butchering a violin, or a trumpet. I agree with KR here, most all instruments can sound good if they have a decent player, and they can all sound awful if the person playing them sucks.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Aug 8, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #41 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Favorite: All instruments played by anyone talented at their craft

Ditto, though I am biased toward the oboe and english horn as being my favorites.

Regards - reynman

Aug 8, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #42 of 94
Favorite would be guitar (nylon and steelstring) electrical guitars I find more cheesy and not natural enough it takes away some of the nature of guitar playing in my opinion.

Most hated, I really don`t know for now.

Aug 8, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #43 of 94
Favorite--Guitar
Least Favorite--Saxaphone in rock bands. I love the sax in jazz, but in 99% of rock it sounds like crap to me.

Aug 10, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #44 of 94
Listening --

Favorite :
#1 Overdriven/Distorted Electric Guitar
#2 "Smooth, deep, warm" bass, Scratches (turntable
wink.gif
)
#3 other guitars
#4 Drums, Piano, Synths, Strings

Dislike :
#1 Trumpet
#2 Brass (maybe except Sax?)

Playing --

Favorite :
#1 Overdriven/Distorted Electric Guitar (my friend's PRS + Mesa Boogie
blink.gif
)
#2 Steel string (acoustic) guitar, turntables

Dislike :
#1 Any key-based instruments (Piano, Keyboard, Organ, and the like if I'm missing something)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back