Faulty MX880s everywhere? Possible replacement?
May 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sputtid

New Head-Fier
I have read many helpful articles on Head-Fi over the years and wanted to contribute with something for a while. However in the end I had to join the forum to get help again.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser MX 880s one and a half year ago based on this review, and I have been absolutely satisfied with its sound quality. But not with its build quality. I'm a poor student so I'm overly careful with everything I buy but I still managed to break the first one. I was lucky and got a refund even though it was my fault. I cared for the second pair even more but they broke after three months: the left speaker produced a really loud and annoying noise when playing lower frequencies. I used the test signal found in the 3stepoct.zip file from this page and a Sansa Clip+ to test it. I got a refund once again but this new pair also went malfunctioning today. Its the same noise on lower frequencies but now it's coming from the right speaker. This noise was non-existent when the earbuds were new. Can I do anything to fix this issue? If not, could you recommend a pair of earbuds or portable headphones (in-ear ones won't stay in my ears) with the same or better SQ in this price range (below 80$). It's also important that my Clip+ can amp them properly. Please name as much as you can because I have to find one in the electronic store with small selection where I get the refund. I could get a new pair again but I really lost faith in the mx880.
Any help is apprecieted!

PS.: Sorry if my grammar stinks, english is not my native language.

May 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm still quite lost but Sennheiser PX 200-II and AKG K319 seems like a good choice.
I'm especially interested in a comparison between PX 200-II and the mx 880.
Help me out here.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Bump.
I dismissed the ideas above.
My candidates now are: Sennheiser HD 438/Beyerdynamic DT 235.
I'd like to know how they compare to each other and to Sennheiser MX 880 in SQ.
Should I expect the abovo two to die as fast as my Senns?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back