Father's Day for my father's ears...
Jun 3, 2011 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wyspyr

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've been searching the net for the best pair of ear buds for my dad. He's got some pretty high end audio gear for the house but I also got him an ipod awhile back. My question is, for ipod use, what are some of the better sounding earbuds out there for someone who mainly listens to electric blues (Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, etc.), your basic rock, and even some acoustic stuff thrown into the mix (guitar and piano mainly). Also some Nora Jones, Diana Krall and the like. He seems to have pretty decent ears and talks about clarity a lot. Well defined, full soundstage seems to me to be a must. He likes bass but is definitely no THUMP THUMP addict, so I'm guessing a more neutral sound. I'm open to suggestions but have found a few in my price range that I would be interested in opinions on:

1. Shure SE315's
2. Etymotic H5's
3. Triplefi 10's

Sound quality is the key here. Thanks for the help :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Would be a great idea but he's already got a pair of senhausers and akg's. Thanks for the comment but I'm looking for something more portable. He actually asked for IEM's awhile back so...

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 6
If you haven't yet placed an order, I wanted to let you know that we are running a special on the Etymotic hf2 right now through the end of July at http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.html on the cobalt and ruby colors.  It has an inline mic on it in case he wants to use it with a smartphone.  The ruby and cobalt hf2 are selling at $99 (regular $159) + shipping. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 6
If he's careful with his equipment I'd vote for the TripleFi 10's.  The triple armatures really give nice separation and a wide soundstage.

The price they're going for right now (around $199) is a pretty good deal.  The SE315's are relatively new on the market and I figure you'll see them for $150 in about 9 months.

Of the three I can only speak for the TripleFi's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back