FatFreq Maestro SE - The King of Top of the Line Bass?
Dec 12, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #46 of 631
Good day everyone! First time member, full time reader of Head-fi! I recently received the Fatfreq Maestro SE and have done a review on it on youtube. However if there's any queries, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. I have the following IEMs in the summit and high-fi level to compare the Maestro SE with if you guys need some comparison feedback. Any feedback on the video will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Summit-Fi IEMs ($1k and over)
Thieaudio Monarch Mk2
Sony IER-Z1R
64 Audio U12T
Fatfreq Maestro SE
Jaben Air

High-Fi IEMs ($500 - $1k)
Sennheiser IE600
Moondrop Variations
Letshuoer EJ07m Kinda Lava
Fatfreq Maestro Mini

hi plz comparison

Thieaudio Monarch Mk2
VS
Maestro SE

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #48 of 631
Guys just wondering if I buy the Maestro SE custom, can I reshell them back to Universal?

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #49 of 631
hi plz comparison

Thieaudio Monarch Mk2
VS
Maestro SE
Hi there, please note below is based off a quick comparison using a few songs. I hope it helps give a preview of what these IEM's are capable of

Bass
Maestro SE - much deeper sub bass and punchier bass. Bass weight, texture, detail, punch and slam, it all goes to the SE
Monarch MkII - The Monarch MkII is no slouch but the Maestro SE is just a step above in terms of overall presentation. MkII bass sounds "cleaner", probably because the amount of bass is not as much as the SE, but still maintains a good level of rumble and slam.

Midrange
Maestro SE - A slightly more forward presentation. Background sound (instruments,bass) is on the same plane as the vocals. Vocals doesn't sound as prominent compared to the MkII
Monarch MkII - Background music takes a step back compared to SE, which makes them an accompaniment to the music (as per their job description being the "background music") rather than a feature like the SE. Vocal is more prominent because of that and the overall presentation is a touch more relaxed compared to SE.

Treble
Neither IEM's are harsh or sibilant for me, yet they're high enough to make trumpets sound clear and open. They're both very, very similar in this category. If you're bringing in the Z1R into the mix, then they both do not sound as clear or open as Z1R's treble.

Soundstage
Maestro SE - It's on the intimate side, but the bass presentation and imaging gives a slightly deeper soundstage presentation
Monarch MkII - Similar to above, however the slightly more relaxed sound (not as much bass and the background music taking a small step backwards) makes it a touch wider, but not by much

Resolution
This is quite tough to explain for me because this area might contradict the following category, so here goes...

Maestro SE - The Maestro SE was able to pick up a lot of details in the track BUT on certain tracks, the bass details can sometimes overpower other sounds a bit. For example, on one anime track I tested this on, it has an abundance of bass & electric guitars, and a snare drum, the low frequencies took charge and it was detailed and clear BUT it pushed the snare drum so far in the background that I would say it got lost in the track.
Monarch MkII - Using above as reference, the snare drums were more slightly audible but the overall details sounded a touch "soft" to me. So yes, you do hear (slightly) more details, probably due to how the overall sound is presented, but it's not razor sharp detailing.

Imaging
Both IEM's perform well in this category however, for the Maestro SE, due to how the sound is presented overall, the imaging, for me, was a lot more distinct. When something hits, you can tell where it is, and things are a bit more well separated on the SE. On the Monarch MkII, the overall music sounds like it's blending together a bit more than the SE.

P.S: It was really hard for me to describe the resolution and imaging as I've tried putting what i'm hearing into words and reading them again, I still don't think I captured them 100% accurately so I'd say these 2 IEM's would be something that you have to try to see if the above matches your experience. My apologies if I sound like I was contradicting myself.

Power
Maestro SE - 11 o clock dial on the Hifiman EF400 (more power)
Monarch MkII - 9-10 o clock dial on the Hifiman EF400

Why I'd choose the Maestro SE
That bass alone is an experience unlike any other. It gave me a live concert experience that is so surreal that I just kept bobbing my head and tapping my toes listening to tracks. For me personally, I can't get enough of it. The imaging as well was a joy to experience.

Why I'd choose the Monarch MkII
It gives a much more "balanced" sound (compared to the SE) while still maintaining the fun in the sub bass. If I'd like to hear a little bit more details of the background music, I'd use the Monarch MkII for a listen

Hope the above helps.
I like to see those comparison too . Can u rate 1 to 10 for bass , mid , treble and resolution?
Hi there, I'd love to give a score however I feel it would be too subjective, ie, if I were to rate the treble at a 9, it's because I like treble that does not pierce my ears but some may perceive that as not having enough treble, similar with bass, I may rate it a 9 again but I really like my bass but some people may find it too overpowering or overwhelming. With that said, I hope the above helps with imaging what those IEM's may sound like. All the best!

Guys just wondering if I buy the Maestro SE custom, can I reshell them back to Universal?
I think it would be best to contact them directly, I find them to be quite helpful albeit a little busy so replies may take a while. Hope you'll be able to get what you're looking for

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #50 of 631
The tuning is marvelous. It slams hard but with fantastic clarity. The bass control is spot on. Great staging as well. Soundstage is not the widest but it's pretty good. It works well with any genre, actually it handles my prog/rock/metal library like a champ.

Exciting!

They are quite busy right now. Go ahead and ask but be patient for a response!

Hi there, please note below is based off a quick comparison using a few songs. I hope it helps give a preview of what these IEM's are capable of

Bass
Maestro SE - much deeper sub bass and punchier bass. Bass weight, texture, detail, punch and slam, it all goes to the SE
Monarch MkII - The Monarch MkII is no slouch but the Maestro SE is just a step above in terms of overall presentation. MkII bass sounds "cleaner", probably because the amount of bass is not as much as the SE, but still maintains a good level of rumble and slam.

Midrange
Maestro SE - A slightly more forward presentation. Background sound (instruments,bass) is on the same plane as the vocals. Vocals doesn't sound as prominent compared to the MkII
Monarch MkII - Background music takes a step back compared to SE, which makes them an accompaniment to the music (as per their job description being the "background music") rather than a feature like the SE. Vocal is more prominent because of that and the overall presentation is a touch more relaxed compared to SE.

Treble
Neither IEM's are harsh or sibilant for me, yet they're high enough to make trumpets sound clear and open. They're both very, very similar in this category. If you're bringing in the Z1R into the mix, then they both do not sound as clear or open as Z1R's treble.

Soundstage
Maestro SE - It's on the intimate side, but the bass presentation and imaging gives a slightly deeper soundstage presentation
Monarch MkII - Similar to above, however the slightly more relaxed sound (not as much bass and the background music taking a small step backwards) makes it a touch wider, but not by much

Resolution
This is quite tough to explain for me because this area might contradict the following category, so here goes...

Maestro SE - The Maestro SE was able to pick up a lot of details in the track BUT on certain tracks, the bass details can sometimes overpower other sounds a bit. For example, on one anime track I tested this on, it has an abundance of bass & electric guitars, and a snare drum, the low frequencies took charge and it was detailed and clear BUT it pushed the snare drum so far in the background that I would say it got lost in the track.
Monarch MkII - Using above as reference, the snare drums were more slightly audible but the overall details sounded a touch "soft" to me. So yes, you do hear (slightly) more details, probably due to how the overall sound is presented, but it's not razor sharp detailing.

Imaging
Both IEM's perform well in this category however, for the Maestro SE, due to how the sound is presented overall, the imaging, for me, was a lot more distinct. When something hits, you can tell where it is, and things are a bit more well separated on the SE. On the Monarch MkII, the overall music sounds like it's blending together a bit more than the SE.

P.S: It was really hard for me to describe the resolution and imaging as I've tried putting what i'm hearing into words and reading them again, I still don't think I captured them 100% accurately so I'd say these 2 IEM's would be something that you have to try to see if the above matches your experience. My apologies if I sound like I was contradicting myself.

Power
Maestro SE - 11 o clock dial on the Hifiman EF400 (more power)
Monarch MkII - 9-10 o clock dial on the Hifiman EF400

Why I'd choose the Maestro SE
That bass alone is an experience unlike any other. It gave me a live concert experience that is so surreal that I just kept bobbing my head and tapping my toes listening to tracks. For me personally, I can't get enough of it. The imaging as well was a joy to experience.

Why I'd choose the Monarch MkII
It gives a much more "balanced" sound (compared to the SE) while still maintaining the fun in the sub bass. If I'd like to hear a little bit more details of the background music, I'd use the Monarch MkII for a listen

Hope the above helps.

Hi there, I'd love to give a score however I feel it would be too subjective, ie, if I were to rate the treble at a 9, it's because I like treble that does not pierce my ears but some may perceive that as not having enough treble, similar with bass, I may rate it a 9 again but I really like my bass but some people may find it too overpowering or overwhelming. With that said, I hope the above helps with imaging what those IEM's may sound like. All the best!

I think it would be best to contact them directly, I find them to be quite helpful albeit a little busy so replies may take a while. Hope you'll be able to get what you're looking for

This really helps! Makes me even more impatient to try these!

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #51 of 631
Exciting!

They are quite busy right now. Go ahead and ask but be patient for a response!

This really helps! Makes me even more impatient to try these!
Let me know what you think! I'm curious to see how it compares with your Mest MkII. I've heard a lot of great reviews on those IEM's and unfortunately missed out on the chance of owning a preowned pair.

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #52 of 631
Let me know what you think! I'm curious to see how it compares with your Mest MkII. I've heard a lot of great reviews on those IEM's and unfortunately missed out on the chance of owning a preowned pair.

Yeah - I got them pre-owned on crazy deal because a driver died then sent them back to be fixed and reshelled. I paid like $1100 all said and done and the amount of enjoyment I've gotten them has been all worth it. Once they get back to me from another IEM manufacturer because of comparison purposes with fit issues on another CIEM, they are going back home to Unique Melody for some love and care.

All bodes well, I should have a Maestro SE in my ownership to provide that comparison!

If not, I'll provide a write-up after I try them at CanJam Singapore!

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #53 of 631
Yeah - I got them pre-owned on crazy deal because a driver died then sent them back to be fixed and reshelled. I paid like $1100 all said and done and the amount of enjoyment I've gotten them has been all worth it. Once they get back to me from another IEM manufacturer because of comparison purposes with fit issues on another CIEM, they are going back home to Unique Melody for some love and care.

All bodes well, I should have a Maestro SE in my ownership to provide that comparison!

If not, I'll provide a write-up after I try them at CanJam Singapore!
Nice! Hope you'll have a lovely experience!

Canjam Singapore? Next year?

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #54 of 631
Dec 13, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #55 of 631
The MSE is power hungry, they are hard to drive. Paired the DTR1+ with Aroma A100TB and it sounds sublime. Plenty of headroom and excellent resolution. Fantastic bass texture, slam city.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #56 of 631
how does it perform on a medium powered device like the Fiio BTR5 bluetooth,
does it become harsh?
not enough rumble?
piercing treble?

I want to use it everywhere,
not just sitting on my desk,

thank you,

@weexisttocease @reallynotareview

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #57 of 631
how does it perform on a medium powered device like the Fiio BTR5 bluetooth,
does it become harsh?
not enough rumble?
piercing treble?

I want to use it everywhere,
not just sitting on my desk,

thank you,

@weexisttocease @reallynotareview
Hi there, unfortunately I have not used the Fiio BTR5 so I can't comment on that experience, however i did use a dongle (Fiio KA2) so I could connect it to my phone and listen it on the go (even hooking it up to my office computer with that dongle). I'm getting around 60-70% volume on my phone to get it to a point where it's pretty loud and on the office computer it's about 30/100. Hope the above helps

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #59 of 631
Is this company typically slow to respond to emails? Haven’t received a response to my email three days ago asking about when it’ll ship and the upgrade cable. Not the best first impression from me at the moment.
Hi aaf evo, yeah they're pretty slow on their response sometimes, I had to leave a message on the chat and an e-mail sometimes but I think they're getting flooded with new orders especially with Christmas coming and their current offers. My e-mail responses typically range from 3 days to a week but they did apologies and explain they're really busy at the moment. Seeing their instagram as well it seems there's a lot more custom orders coming in. I'm not trying to defend them or anything but just seems like that's the situation based on their instagram stories and what's happening lately. I hope you'll get your orders soon! All the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back