FatFreq Maestro SE - The King of Top of the Line Bass?
Feb 26, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #601 of 633
The gold 4 cores. Not the gold 8cores that i find a little too thick sounding. I have the eletech socrates with the canpur and anything else i tried was not as "good" (it's very minute), but i didn't plug this one on the GM.
Didn't know FF has two different gold cables. But I'm not interested in their cables because I've seen many of them have discolouration issues so QC there is worrying.

With how much I Enjoy the Scarletts, I'm really counting down the days until I get the Maestro SE. Which if I enjoy those as much as I think I'm going to, a custom pair of Grand Maestro will be on the list next. How hard are these to drive? Pretty similar to the others? I'm noticing my basic Sony DAP isn't enough. So I've been using the mojo2 to help drive the Scarletts.

Very hard. GM/MSE are the hardest IEMs to drive that I've experienced, requiring even more raw volume than the Storm.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #602 of 633
Didn't know FF has two different gold cables. But I'm not interested in their cables because I've seen many of them have discolouration issues so QC there is worrying.

Very hard. GM/MSE are the hardest IEMs to drive that I've experienced, requiring even more raw volume than the Storm.
Good to know. Hopefully the Mojo2 is enough. If not, what portable amps have you seen/used that power them properly?

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #603 of 633
Good to know. Hopefully the Mojo2 is enough. If not, what portable amps have you seen/used that power them properly?
Mojo 2 should be good enough. I've also tried the MUB1 with the MSE and seems to do fine too.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #604 of 633
It had the black module on. I tried both vocal on/off modes. I really liked both, but the vocal off just gave a more grandiose presentation of music. But similar to the Uni MSE, I did hear some sibilance, despite both fitting my ear canals like a custom. Oddly enough, FF showed me my CIEM shell shape, and it seems shallower than the Uni one, so perhaps the super deep fit I got with the universal models was abnormally deep and caused some unintended treble peaks that might not be there with a shallower fit? I'm not entirely sure about the science behind this. I did think the GM might not have been good for longer, relaxed listening sessions due to it's brightness, but thats with the Universal model.
Measurements done by @freeryder05 comparing deep fit with shallow fit found distinctly different treble presentations. It likely has something to do with different phase cancellation profiles at different insertion depths.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #605 of 633
Measurements done by @freeryder05 comparing deep fit with shallow fit found distinctly different treble presentations. It likely has something to do with different phase cancellation profiles at different insertion depths.
Thanks, I'll have a look at freeryder's measurements.

For reference, the red line is where the uni GM + ear tips fit in my ear (where I had spicy treble), while the superimposed green mold is the CIEM shell shape FF has decided for me. Looks like they want to leave some extra ear canal volume.

Unfortunately from memory I cannot determine the sibilance frequency. I thought it was 8k but I'm not sure anymore, and might be odd to have an 8k peak at the red line which is a super deep depth. And at roughly a slightly shallower fit than the green mold (i.e. using my MMK2) I get an ~11khz resonance.
Screenshot_20240219-140448~2.jpg

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #606 of 633
Thanks, I'll have a look at freeryder's measurements.

For reference, the red line is where the uni GM + ear tips fit in my ear (where I had spicy treble), while the superimposed green mold is the CIEM shell shape FF has decided for me. Looks like they want to leave some extra ear canal volume.

Unfortunately from memory I cannot determine the sibilance frequency. I thought it was 8k but I'm not sure anymore, and might be odd to have an 8k peak at the red line which is a super deep depth. And at roughly a slightly shallower fit than the green mold (i.e. using my MMK2) I get an ~11khz resonance.
Screenshot_20240219-140448~2.jpg
Excellent post. Matches my findings as well besides the ear gain claim which I haven't experienced much on every IEM.

Specially in terms of insertion depth and treble response. I mean, just look at this:

graph (4).png

Pretty much the reason to ignore most of the treble response we see in graphs. It's a bit sad that people are missing out on great sets just because the brand is not carefully reverse engineering reviewer couplers to make it look good when aligned at 8kHz :)

Also reminder to tune your foam tips and remove the excess material. The Sony, Sennheiser and the new bullet Comply foams are great stock, but most of the cheap ones really benefit from a snip here and there.
This is the post where we discussed the topic.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #607 of 633
With how much I Enjoy the Scarletts, I'm really counting down the days until I get the Maestro SE. Which if I enjoy those as much as I think I'm going to, a custom pair of Grand Maestro will be on the list next. How hard are these to drive? Pretty similar to the others? I'm noticing my basic Sony DAP isn't enough. So I've been using the mojo2 to help drive the Scarletts.
The GM is as demanding to drive as the MSE, from what i read it might be similar to the Scarlett despite the driver count difference (not necessarily related). Canpur or RN6 need half of the juice, or even less.

I think many people assume DAPs are better or more powerful than dongles / things like the mojo, but it's not always the case. The Mojo2 has huge power at low impedance, about 400mW, although allowing higher noise and distorsion to reach that than some other dedicated dac/amps.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #608 of 633
The GM is as demanding to drive as the MSE, from what i read it might be similar to the Scarlett despite the driver count difference (not necessarily related). Canpur or RN6 need half of the juice, or even less.

I think many people assume DAPs are better or more powerful than dongles / things like the mojo, but it's not always the case. The Mojo2 has huge power at low impedance, about 400mW, although allowing higher noise and distorsion to reach that than some other dedicated dac/amps.
Yeah, I mainly use the DAP with my IEM's but got the Mojo2 for my harder to run IEM'. I'm not familiar with a lot of portable options. Do you use a certain one that you've had a lot of success with?

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #609 of 633
Yeah, I mainly use the DAP with my IEM's but got the Mojo2 for my harder to run IEM'. I'm not familiar with a lot of portable options. Do you use a certain one that you've had a lot of success with?
These days im mostly using my IEMs at home so with the setups in my sig. I also have a Lotoo Paw and a couple of dongles. For some reason i also like a lot the little Sonata HD pro (Cirrus Logic dac) as a phone dongle , it's enough for any IEM, maybe borderline on raw power with the Maestros but still fine. If i want more power, i would go with either the L&P W2 or W4 and similar options.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #610 of 633
These days im mostly using my IEMs at home so with the setups in my sig. I also have a Lotoo Paw and a couple of dongles. For some reason i also like a lot the little Sonata HD pro (Cirrus Logic dac) as a phone dongle , it's enough for any IEM, maybe borderline on raw power with the Maestros but still fine. If i want more power, i would go with either the L&P W2 or W4 and similar options.
So far the Mojo2 has been plenty. I love the sound signature it delivers too. Better then my DAP and any Dongle I have used. But I've yet to use the W4. I have looked into it before, due to the raw power it has.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #612 of 633
Is the Qudelix 5k enough to drive the Maestro SE?
Yes, but barely, and probably not going to be as well-powered (you might find bass texture impacted and mids/treble veiled)

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #614 of 633
Is the Qudelix 5k enough to drive the Maestro SE?
In balanced mode it probably is. You need 96.6 mW to reach 100 dB peak output, which given an average dynamic range of 30 dB will put you at 85dB nominal listening level.

Balanced output gives you 240mW peak output w/o impedance, so you'll get around 220mW given the MSE's nominal impedance of 38Ω, plenty of room to push up the volume for quiet songs or to mess around with EQ (roughly 30% extra volume)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #615 of 633
Was looking for something more assertive, preferably based on experience lol
What's your budget? I'd recommend something like the Questyle CMA18 or even the Quloos MUB1 if you can afford it. I upgraded to the MUB1 from my Q5K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back