FatFreq Maestro SE - The King of Top of the Line Bass?
Feb 20, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #271 of 633
Thank you! and to my ears, Nio is less defined by a good amount. a much smoother sound. Nio's sound sig is much more balanced. vocals are more forward.

maestro se has a much deeper soundstage and the coloration is much more pleasing to my ears. Treble is leagues better on these things. Bass is also much bigger and textured.

hope this helps!
Super helpful! Thanks.

Sounds like MSE could be a good complimentary set to the Nio. The former being more energetic, engaging and detailed and the latter being smoother with an easier-listening sound sig.

If you don’t mind my asking, what music genres do you typically listen to?

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #272 of 633
Much burning in to do and tip/cable rolling to experiment but this is TOTL fun!

IMG_2520.jpg

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #273 of 633
Much burning in to do and tip/cable rolling to experiment but this is TOTL fun!

IMG_2520.jpg
Did you say the "burn in" because you didn't like them when you took them out of the box? 🧐

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #274 of 633
Did you say the "burn in" because you didn't like them when you took them out of the box? 🧐
I loved them but did notice slight 's' sibilance on some female vocals.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #275 of 633
Super helpful! Thanks.

Sounds like MSE could be a good complimentary set to the Nio. The former being more energetic, engaging and detailed and the latter being smoother with an easier-listening sound sig.

If you don’t mind my asking, what music genres do you typically listen to?
No problem!

that's exactly right haha.

I listen to mostly everything honestly but mostly indie rock/pop. Atmospheric stuff like Radiohead. Anything orchestral like video game ost's or the classics.

strings also sound incredible on the maestro

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #276 of 633
Great impressions! Without diving in too deep, how would you compare them to the 64A Nio?

Thank you! and to my ears, Nio is less defined by a good amount. a much smoother sound. Nio's sound sig is much more balanced. vocals are more forward.

maestro se has a much deeper soundstage and the coloration is much more pleasing to my ears. Treble is leagues better on these things. Bass is also much bigger and textured.

hope this helps!

Nice comparison. The Nio is my personal favorite out of 64's lineup.

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #278 of 633
ACEFE587-C3BB-47C1-9B2C-00C275BA1F7B.jpeg

MSE vs Maestro Mini side by side.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #279 of 633
I loved them but did notice slight 's' sibilance on some female vocals.
That's what stops me from buying the MSE or MM...
It's a pity that where I live it's impossible to try it before buying.

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #281 of 633
I've not noticed any sibilance with my SE's but although I believe my hearing to be excellent I am 68, so that has to be taken into account
It's just that I've seen the graphs and so far all the IEMs I've tried with a similar high-mid gain have been shouty to me with the type of music I listen to.
I am very sensitive to that area of the frequency spectrum. If there is little gain they are boring to me, if there is a lot they are shouty...

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #282 of 633
It's just that I've seen the graphs and so far all the IEMs I've tried with a similar high-mid gain have been shouty to me with the type of music I listen to.
I am very sensitive to that area of the frequency spectrum. If there is little gain they are boring to me, if there is a lot they are shouty...
I’m sensitive in the same way and didn’t notice anything harsh in what listening I did at the shop.

I’m still waiting on my set, so I haven’t been able to put in real extended time with them yet, but I’ll be surprised if I catch any unpleasantness. We’ll see.

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #283 of 633
Yeah there’s that hard peak at 8k that would be responsible for that.

When i first tried them, i had fit issues. Mostly because the shells are gigantic.

Had a sib issue at first but once i got the seal right, no longer an issue.

I am however not sensitive to sibilance and actually prefer it most of the time so there’s that lol

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #284 of 633
Mine landed this week. Kickass, as expected. (can't say that I'm hearing any sibilence, btw)

Mildly regretting not getting them full custom, however. The universal fit is actually quite comfortable for me, but I don't see myself selling them, so why not.

But yeah, they're outstanding... (and there's zero buyer's remorse after listening to a bunch of stuff at canjam this weekend in NYC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back