FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #1,831 of 1,938
My Scarlet Mini Review is here.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #1,832 of 1,938
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #1,834 of 1,938
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,835 of 1,938
Thanks to @Damz87 and @Sebastien Chiu for the Australian tour of Scarlet Mini, and @tfaduh for his Maestro Mini.

A tale of two bass monsters

1710909536688.png

Similarly coloured to the choice Neo makes in The Matrix, take the blue pill (Maestro mini) and the bass story ends in an OK place, you think it's as much as you'd reasonably get or need from an IEM, or take the red pill (Scarlet mini) and see just how much bass an IEM can deliver.

I only had proper packaging for Scarlet Mini, which was quite nice, and the included tips were fantastic (the additional ones, can't remember the name sorry). It also had the red cable which was quite nice.

So, here's a graph showing Masetro mini, Scarlet mini, and the 7th Acoustics Supernova as a great 'normal' option around the same price point:

1710910743312.png

Insane.

And they deliver what you'd expect from the above, my brief impressions:

Maestro Mini: I started on this one as I received it first and really enjoyed it with tracks where I wanted more bass. I found it very much average across technicalities, soundstage, probably a little overpriced based on everything but that bass. The bass is plentiful, not the most controlled or textured, but you get a lot of it and it's very enjoyable to listen to. You can get a similar experience from some cheaper options (in particular a newly released one which won't be named) however it isn't as refined as what you get here. This was also an earlier model and didn't have a filter on the nozzle, so seeing the BA staring at you was interesting. A cautious recommendation from me, but if you really want bass...

Scarlet Mini: Wow. BASS. So much bass. Did I mention it has a lot of bass? If there is a trace of bass in the track it will have a lot of bass. Sometimes I think it pulls bass out of nowhere. Running through everything in my library was an interesting experience, where you want more bass these things are amazing, and listening to tracks that aren't really bass focused they change into bass focused a lot of the time. Similar to the Maestro Mini the bass is insanely enjoyable, not the most textured or controlled, but I haven't heard this quantity of bass in an IEM or headphone before. Standouts for me were listening to Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral, and many psybient tracks, which took on a new life listening through these. They do get fatiguing after a while but that's to be expected. Techs were a step up from the Maestro Mini, and the treble was more enjoyable to my ears as well. I loved them and do want to get a pair down the track, they won't be an everyday IEM, but they would be in rotation when bass beckons.

There really isn't much more to say, comparing them to similarly priced IEM's they generally fall short on everything but bass (Scarlet Mini less so), but when it comes to bass these excel. I'm not sure you'd go for Maestro Mini now that Scarlet Mini exists, I wouldn't, but Scarlet Mini gets a recommendation from me for how it does bass. Nothing else like it and I miss listening to the Scarlet Mini now that it has moved on to the next recipient.

Thanks guys for the wonderful writeup! Glad this tour is going well.

BTW i need to ask about this, if someone have bad luck and they damage in some way lets say scarlet mini the only way to fix it is to send it back to FF ?
I always have some kind of fear that something can happen to them xd by accident ofc or "itself"

@Sebastien Chiu

BTW anyone tried scarlet mini with chord mojo 2 ? :D

Yes, only way would be to send them back to us for repairs.

I recently got the Maestro SE and ordered used GM before I got to wear the SE.
Now waiting for it to arrive but at the same time depressed because of long nozzles pain it causes to my ear canal. And I would be even more depressed to know that and wait for 4 months haha.

This image describes comfort/sound:

O3BkC9O.jpg

Do scroll back through the thread - the MSE is very tip and seal dependent, check out some of the recommendations that the community has left here.

My Scarlet Mini Review is here.
My Scarlet Mini review is published now for those interested: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fatfrequency-scarlet-mini-in-ear-monitors/

Thanks guys for your wonderful reviews and your time you always put into them, we appreciate it!

Great review as always!

I also had the same experience and question when testing Scarlet Mini. The bass shell does not centre around 200Hz and tapers smoothly into the midrange like what I expected.

Indeed, @vsg28 has some of the best write-ups in the game.

Thanks so much! That part of the bass is what makes the Scarlet so special.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #1,836 of 1,938
Very nice reviews thanks !

Good pairing with the Fiio Q7, the Scarlet are quite power hungry, i set volume to around 50% on Super High gain.

I also use Scarlet to watch movies with the bluetooh connection of my TV and my Fiio Q7, and damn it is so good !

I feel like i have a subwoofer without disturbing wife/children at night :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #1,837 of 1,938
I got the Maestro Mini a few weeks ago...a keeper for sure, appreciate the wax guard pro-tip, will have to try. Seen a few videos on these and I believe they are accurate. Gabs of precise sub-bass like I've never heard in a headphone/iem before, and that goes with a pretty full mid-range. Can say it is not typically recessed vocals that you normally see in most "basshead" units. Its very close to a car subwoofer bass thats also tuned nicely for everything else in an IEM shell, super efficient.
Is there enough of a midbass tuck to call it a bass shelf or would you say it is rather a slope listening to it? Thank you and many greetings :)

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #1,838 of 1,938
Is there enough of a midbass tuck to call it a bass shelf or would you say it is rather a slope listening to it? Thank you and many greetings :)
I would say it is really well done slope. I don't like when there is aggressive dip in the midbass and these definitely don't do that. Trully deepest bass in the galaxy :)

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #1,839 of 1,938
I would say it is really well done slope. I don't like when there is aggressive dip in the midbass and these definitely don't do that. Trully deepest bass in the galaxy :)
Thank you, I appreciate it :)
I dont mind missing midbass, because it provides a cleaner sound, but a well done slope is definitely great as well. My favorite IEMs, the IE600 dont have a dip either and they're clean af and also bass cannons. I want my head to bounce off though, so I will probably try the Maestro Mini if I find them used for a good price :)

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,840 of 1,938
After almost 4.5 months, my CIEM Grand Maestro has finally arrived! Here are some unboxing pics.

I'll refrain from reviewing it until my ears adapt to the CIEM mould/sound (this is also my first CIEM) so I'll probably write something up next month (or never, if the Grand Maestro distracts me too much!)

Here's a one-liner review:
They sound incredible.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #1,841 of 1,938
Demo'ing these monsters. Holy crap. "What's Up Danger" during that 2:11 drop and on, my head is literally shaking. Not just from me nodding my head, too. What is this black magic.

1000029697.jpg

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #1,842 of 1,938
Well, didn’t take me to long to cave, scarlet mini ordered

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #1,845 of 1,938
Congrats on your purchase, all that's left for you is the waiting game...

Still, if you're patient enough, you won't regret your purchase 👍
Thanks! Went the Musicteck route as it was in stock and it’s shipped, should be here next week 🥳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back