FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Mar 20, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #1,816 of 1,938
Thanks to @Damz87 and @Sebastien Chiu for the Australian tour of Scarlet Mini, and @tfaduh for his Maestro Mini.

A tale of two bass monsters

1710909536688.png

Similarly coloured to the choice Neo makes in The Matrix, take the blue pill (Maestro mini) and the bass story ends in an OK place, you think it's as much as you'd reasonably get or need from an IEM, or take the red pill (Scarlet mini) and see just how much bass an IEM can deliver.

I only had proper packaging for Scarlet Mini, which was quite nice, and the included tips were fantastic (the additional ones, can't remember the name sorry). It also had the red cable which was quite nice.

So, here's a graph showing Masetro mini, Scarlet mini, and the 7th Acoustics Supernova as a great 'normal' option around the same price point:

1710910743312.png

Insane.

And they deliver what you'd expect from the above, my brief impressions:

Maestro Mini: I started on this one as I received it first and really enjoyed it with tracks where I wanted more bass. I found it very much average across technicalities, soundstage, probably a little overpriced based on everything but that bass. The bass is plentiful, not the most controlled or textured, but you get a lot of it and it's very enjoyable to listen to. You can get a similar experience from some cheaper options (in particular a newly released one which won't be named) however it isn't as refined as what you get here. This was also an earlier model and didn't have a filter on the nozzle, so seeing the BA staring at you was interesting. A cautious recommendation from me, but if you really want bass...

Scarlet Mini: Wow. BASS. So much bass. Did I mention it has a lot of bass? If there is a trace of bass in the track it will have a lot of bass. Sometimes I think it pulls bass out of nowhere. Running through everything in my library was an interesting experience, where you want more bass these things are amazing, and listening to tracks that aren't really bass focused they change into bass focused a lot of the time. Similar to the Maestro Mini the bass is insanely enjoyable, not the most textured or controlled, but I haven't heard this quantity of bass in an IEM or headphone before. Standouts for me were listening to Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral, and many psybient tracks, which took on a new life listening through these. They do get fatiguing after a while but that's to be expected. Techs were a step up from the Maestro Mini, and the treble was more enjoyable to my ears as well. I loved them and do want to get a pair down the track, they won't be an everyday IEM, but they would be in rotation when bass beckons.

There really isn't much more to say, comparing them to similarly priced IEM's they generally fall short on everything but bass (Scarlet Mini less so), but when it comes to bass these excel. I'm not sure you'd go for Maestro Mini now that Scarlet Mini exists, I wouldn't, but Scarlet Mini gets a recommendation from me for how it does bass. Nothing else like it and I miss listening to the Scarlet Mini now that it has moved on to the next recipient.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #1,817 of 1,938
BTW i need to ask about this, if someone have bad luck and they damage in some way lets say scarlet mini the only way to fix it is to send it back to FF ?
I always have some kind of fear that something can happen to them xd by accident ofc or "itself"

@Sebastien Chiu

BTW anyone tried scarlet mini with chord mojo 2 ? :D

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,818 of 1,938
Does anyone know where to buy the aux end bit that attaches to the scarlet minis wire. I think mine arrived damaged since the audio randomly gets dulled, will shift more to the left side or even cut out at times very randomly when it's moved. I don't want to have to send my Scarlets back and have to wait even more time to use them.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #1,819 of 1,938
Does anyone know where to buy the aux end bit that attaches to the scarlet minis wire. I think mine arrived damaged since the audio randomly gets dulled, will shift more to the left side or even cut out at times very randomly when it's moved. I don't want to have to send my Scarlets back and have to wait even more time to use them.
u mean the pins when u put cable to iem or the jack part?

did u tried other cable?

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #1,820 of 1,938
Thanks to @Damz87 and @Sebastien Chiu for the Australian tour of Scarlet Mini, and @tfaduh for his Maestro Mini.

1710909536688.png

Similarly coloured to the choice Neo makes in The Matrix, take the blue pill (Maestro mini) and the bass story ends in an OK place, you think it's as much as you'd reasonably get or need from an IEM, or take the red pill (Scarlet mini) and see just how much bass an IEM can deliver.

I only had proper packaging for Scarlet Mini, which was quite nice, and the included tips were fantastic (the additional ones, can't remember the name sorry). It also had the red cable which was quite nice.

So, here's a graph showing Masetro mini, Scarlet mini, and the 7th Acoustics Supernova as a great 'normal' option around the same price point:

1710910743312.png

Insane.

Maestro Mini: I started on this one as I received it first and really enjoyed it with tracks where I wanted more bass. I found it very much average across technicalities, soundstage, probably a little overpriced based on everything but that bass. The bass is plentiful, not the most controlled or textured, but you get a lot of it and it's very enjoyable to listen to. You can get a similar experience from some cheaper options (in particular a newly released one which won't be named) however it isn't as refined as what you get here. This was also an earlier model and didn't have a filter on the nozzle, so seeing the BA staring at you was interesting. A cautious recommendation from me, but if you really want bass...

Scarlet Mini: Wow. BASS. So much bass. Did I mention it has a lot of bass? If there is a trace of bass in the track it will have a lot of bass. Sometimes I think it pulls bass out of nowhere. Running through everything in my library was an interesting experience, where you want more bass these things are amazing, and listening to tracks that aren't really bass focused they change into bass focused a lot of the time. Similar to the Maestro Mini the bass is insanely enjoyable, not the most textured or controlled, but I haven't heard this quantity of bass in an IEM or headphone before. Standouts for me were listening to Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral, and many psybient tracks, which took on a new life listening through these. They do get fatiguing after a while but that's to be expected. Techs were a step up from the Maestro Mini, and the treble was more enjoyable to my ears as well. I loved them and do want to get a pair down the track, they won't be an everyday IEM, but they would be in rotation when bass beckons.

There really isn't much more to say, comparing them to similarly priced IEM's they generally fall short on everything but bass (Scarlet Mini less so), but when it comes to bass these excel. I'm not sure you'd go for Maestro Mini now that Scarlet Mini exists, I wouldn't, but Scarlet Mini gets a recommendation from me for how it does bass. Nothing else like it and I miss listening to the Scarlet Mini now that it has moved on to the next recipient.
I actually use the Maestro Mini on country music with deep, heavy male vocals and Scarlet Mini pretty much on everything else involving female voice, from EDM to K-Pop. The latter is more airy and treble with a tad bit more details. I have both of them paired to the Cayin N7 streaming from Apple Music Hi-res Lossless.

I am still experimenting between the two, using custom pure copper/pure silver hybrid on the Maestro Mini and custom silver-plated copper on the Scarlet Mini, as well as using Effect Audio CODE 23 on both of them at the same time, so possible to A/B. As well as Final Audio Type E, Clarion Wide Bore that came with Fatfreq, KBear Type 07, Divinus Velvet, and Symbio E tips. My favorite is still the Final Audio.

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #1,821 of 1,938
u mean the pins when u put cable to iem or the jack part?

did u tried other cable?
Like the detachable 3.5mm head that attaches with the 4 pins. Unfortunately, I don't have another cable to try it with. That said, I have been using a different dac and haven't had any problems again so far so maybe it was a problem with the other one.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #1,822 of 1,938
Like the detachable 3.5mm head that attaches with the 4 pins. Unfortunately, I don't have another cable to try it with. That said, I have been using a different dac and haven't had any problems again so far so maybe it was a problem with the other one.
The 4 pin swappable terminations can be found here. For everything else included in FF packages -spoiler alert- you can find it here

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #1,825 of 1,938
I recently got the Maestro SE and ordered used GM before I got to wear the SE.
Now waiting for it to arrive but at the same time depressed because of long nozzles pain it causes to my ear canal. And I would be even more depressed to know that and wait for 4 months haha.

This image describes comfort/sound:

O3BkC9O.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #1,826 of 1,938
I recently got the Maestro SE and ordered used GM before I got to wear the SE.
Now waiting for it to arrive but at the same time depressed because of long nozzles pain it causes to my ear canal. And I would be even more depressed to know that and wait for 4 months haha.

This image describes comfort/sound:

O3BkC9O.jpg
Hopefully you get used to the fit!

If I could turn back time, I'd just have gotten a universal instead of a custom (much cheaper and no worries about fit issues), since their universal is already very comfy for me.

But I went custom for max seal and sound improvements (particularly treble response which I found a little sharp on the universal model).

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #1,827 of 1,938

1710909536688.png

1710910743312.png

Insane.

Uh oh, our Scarlet Mini and Maestro Mini seem to measure differently from the ones from Gizaudio. My graphs of the same units that you listened:

8E6F49AB-44EE-411D-BB0D-D7364680D575.png

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #1,828 of 1,938
@o0genesis0o

Measurements as measurements BUT as someone who got maestro mini first the scarlet have noticeable more bass, i think the truth is somewhere betwen those two graphs.

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #1,829 of 1,938
@o0genesis0o

Measurements as measurements BUT as someone who got maestro mini first the scarlet have noticeable more bass, i think the truth is somewhere betwen those two graphs.
I also hear a shocking amount of bass with Scarlet Mini comparing to Maestro, and the Scarlet Mini is slightly darker with the same (non-bassy) track. Totally agree with @tombrisbane . Any track with a hint of bass would be very bassy with Scarlet Mini.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #1,830 of 1,938
Scarlet approved track :) :sunglasses:
It's so ****ing unreal i can hear every note on the bass, whole track sound amazing <3

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back