FAQ About E17
Jan 21, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #152 of 165
Right, but other than the cables, there's really no compelling reason to choose the E17 over the E18, despite having iDevices. I'd probably use it more with a PC at work anyways, but it'd be fun if it worked with my iDevices as well. I was thinking more in terms if the E17 was an officially licensed iDevice product (MFI) or something along those lines.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #153 of 165
  Right, but other than the cables, there's really no compelling reason to choose the E17 over the E18, despite having iDevices. I'd probably use it more with a PC at work anyways, but it'd be fun if it worked with my iDevices as well. I was thinking more in terms if the E17 was an officially licensed iDevice product (MFI) or something along those lines.

It is not.

I believe the E18 is basically exactly the same as the E17, except the E18 has the extra software support to make it work with Android. Therefore with the E17 you can get the same performance from an iDevice as you would with the E18, but for less. This is just a guess and has not been confirmed so don't quote me on it.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #154 of 165
I have a question concerning using the fiio E17 under Linux (Ubuntu 13.10).

If I plug the E17 via USB into my notebook it appears under sound devices and gives an output to the headphone jack. However, the device listing says "Analog Output" and I am unsure on wether I am just amping the internal soundcards signal or indeed using the E17 as DAC and amp.

Any suggestions on how I could verify that the DAC is used? Thanks

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #155 of 165
If USB is being used it should be the DAC no matter what it says on the computer, since it's a digital signal being output.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #156 of 165
  It is not.

I believe the E18 is basically exactly the same as the E17, except the E18 has the extra software support to make it work with Android. Therefore with the E17 you can get the same performance from an iDevice as you would with the E18, but for less. This is just a guess and has not been confirmed so don't quote me on it.

Thanks.

From my understanding the E18 seems to have a different DAC and opamp along with a better battery life, so it seems to differ a bit from the E17. However, how much it differs and whether it's hearable I don't know, however the price difference was so small so I figured I should go for it anyway. Also, people seemed to be reporting that the DAC functions with both iPhones and iPads as well as long as it's iOS 7, so I mean, what the heck. I ordered the E18 anyway.

Thanks for the response though.

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #157 of 165
Hi, I have a question.
I strictly use the E17 on a computer via usb connection. My logic leads me to believe that the battery is never in use, but still the battery completely discharges every two week or so. I was wondering if this was normal? Anyone experiencing the same "problem"?
Cheers!

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #162 of 165
  Why does my E17 not switch to AUX setting.  I can only get USB, COX, OPT when I hit the input button. 

k i got it. is ur e17 in a dock? I can get it into aux only if i remove the L7 LOD. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #163 of 165
  k i got it. is ur e17 in a dock? I can get it into aux only if i remove the L7 LOD. 

No, I am trying to connect from the headphone output of the iphone to the aux input on the E17.  I have ordered the adaptor for iphone (non lightning) and will use the lightning adaptor and try it this way.  Will see if it works better.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #164 of 165
I just wanted to chime in a bit about my e17 + iPhone6 debacle. The 30-pin doesnt work. The camera connection kit does work but it requires a usb hub because the phone thinks the e17 draws too much power (regardless of it being battery powered and turning off usb charging). You can just get an unpowered hub though because for whatever reason it tricks the phone into thinking its being powered. Then you need a usb to mini usb adapter to connect to the e17. At this point with all the cables and what not the e17 with the iphone6 is not worth it until someone comes up with a better way. Its not really portable anymore but more of a hassle than its worth. I was really excited about a feasible and quality portable headphones amp/dac and I honestly wish I had either gone a different way there or stuck with android.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #165 of 165

No, I am trying to connect from the headphone output of the iphone to the aux input on the E17.  I have ordered the adaptor for iphone (non lightning) and will use the lightning adaptor and try it this way.  Will see if it works better.

Hello stolleee,

Although you don't have a dock connector connected to the E17, your unit may be defectively misdetecting a dock connection. Do you see the word "dock" flash briefly on the screen the moment you turn your E17 on?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back