Fake Sennheiser Momentums?
Jan 22, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #106 of 156
First off, I live in SE Asia, and I'd like to tell you guys that fake Momentums can be had here for as little as US$50. You can them anywhere from Hong Kong, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

The fakes have gotten so good that its difficult to tell them apart from the real thing. Let me start off by dispelling some "myths" I see floating around the boards. You can't rely on the following to tell the fakes apart:

1. Hard case. The case is virtually identical to the real thing from the material, zipper, all the way to the color of the stitching.
  2. Cable. The fake black Momentums comes with red cable and the brown  comes with black, just like the real thing. The plugs are made of aluminum and bends 90 degrees complete with embossed logo. Oh, and don't forget about the spare cable neatly packed inside the case. Both cables are wrapped in self-sealing plastic, just like the one used the real thing. Having said that -- its still possible for some to come with the wrong color cable. Furthermore, I've measured the resistance on the cable as below 1 ohms.
  3. Microphone. Its metal and just as heavy as the real thing. All the buttons works, your smartphone won't know the difference. They're also wrapped in the same semi-transparent plastic. While we're on the subject, the mike on the fake has better gain.  
  4. Metal headband. Despite what's been written about in previous posts, it's not expensive to make them, specially here in Asia. The cut is precise and smooth. 
  5. Fittings. You won't be able to tell them apart by looking at the screws and rivets. Fake black Momentums will have black rivets on the headband while the brown will have plain aluminum. Even the large screw inside the cup that connects it to the headband is the same as in the original.
  6. Stitching. Forget about looking at the stitching. They got this down to the type and thickness of thread.
  7. Box. Same with stitching. They got this down perfect, from the print quality, pull tab, all the way to the foam used. 
  8. Serial number under the pad. Yeah, remove the pad and it's there.
  9. Holographic security sticker on the side of the box. All we can about this is, "Where do you think they're printed?" 

Here's the thing, unless a component is made by a proprietary process that involves technology from another galaxy, then you can be assured that particular component is readily available in the market, or there's a manufacturer capable of making something similar. Simply check out the Alibaba web site and you'll know what I mean.

However, there are still ways to identify a fake, or as we say here, "Class A":

1. Headband leather. Most Class A's will use smooth leatherette (pleather for most of you). The real thing uses a much softer grained leather.
  2. Pads. While the original are plush and soft, the fakes are thicker and harder which causes the driver to rest farther from your ears.
  3. Driver. Best way to identify a fake. Sennheiser developed specially thin drivers for the Momentum, because of this, the fakers are forced to use 30mm drivers because normal 40mm drivers are too thick to fit inside the cup. This leads to a sound that's not as loud. The bass is a little recessed, with the mids slightly forward, and the highs bright bordering on sibilant. It actually sounds quite nice when connected to an amp.  

Just to give you guys an idea how prevalent this is, here's a short list of other "Class A" headphones that's generally available in Asia:

1. Sennheiser - I300, IE6, IE60, IE7, IE8, IE8i, IE80, IE800, MX360, MX365, MX375, MX500, MX685, MX760, MM70i, OMX80, OMX60, OMX680, PMX80, PMX680, PMX685i, OCX685i, CX95, CX175, CX200, CX215, CX275S, CX300, CX310, CX350, CX380, PC33D, HD25-II, HD228, HD238, HD202, HD205, HD428, HD448, HD598
  2. AKG - Q460, K414, K420, K430, K450
  3. Audio Technica - ATH-M50, CKS55, CKS99, CKM1000, FC707, FC700
  4. Bang & Olufsen - Form 2, A8
  5. Beats - Solo, Tour, Tour v2, Harajuku, Studio, Studio v2, Beats Pro, Detox, Turbine Pro
  6. Bowers & Wilkins - C5, P3, P5
  7. Bose - QC 3, QC 15, QC 20, OE2, OE2i, SIE2, SIE2i, MIE2i, IE2, OE Supra
  8. JBL - J33i, J55
  9. Klipsch - S4i, Image One, Image X10
  10. SMS by 50 Cent - Sync Wireless, Street Over Ear, Street Wireless, DJ
  11. Sol - Republic, Amps HD, Master Tracks
  12. Sony DR220DP, MDRV6, V900HD, MDR7506, XB40EX, XB700
  13. Soul by Ludacris - SL 49, SL 99, SL 150
  14. Ultimate Ears - UE100, UE500, UE500vi
  15. V-Moda Remix

Here's a general rule of thumb we live by here ... "if it's made in China, there's a fake version"

Oh by the way, I've heard rumors of fake HD 700 ... and no, that's not a typo, I did mean Sennheiser HD700. Although, I've yet to see one.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #107 of 156

That's such a shame that China didn't progress at all in the fight against the counterfeiters. And the poor people who are exposed to a Sennheiser product that is fake and don't know it. They might be one of the reasons of bad reviews etc. It can damage a company so much.

But since chinese companies themselves are now targeted (Xiaomi) by counterfeiters, maybe things will change.

I mean for many years now they even copy cars:

Anyhow, very imfortmative post @d4nt3 - awesome research.

Cheers,
K

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #108 of 156

Just to give you guys an idea how prevalent this is, here's a short list of other "Class A" headphones that's generally available in Asia:

1. Sennheiser - I300, IE6, IE60, IE7, IE8, IE8i, IE80, IE800, MX360, MX365, MX375, MX500, MX685, MX760, MM70i, OMX80, OMX60, OMX680, PMX80, PMX680, PMX685i, OCX685i, CX95, CX175, CX200, CX215, CX275S, CX300, CX310, CX350, CX380, PC33D, HD25-II, HD228, HD238, HD202, HD205, HD428, HD448, HD598
  2. AKG - Q460, K414, K420, K430, K450
  3. Audio Technica - ATH-M50, CKS55, CKS99, CKM1000, FC707, FC700
  4. Bang & Olufsen - Form 2, A8
  5. Beats - Solo, Tour, Tour v2, Harajuku, Studio, Studio v2, Beats Pro, Detox, Turbine Pro
  6. Bowers & Wilkins - C5, P3, P5
  7. Bose - QC 3, QC 15, QC 20, OE2, OE2i, SIE2, SIE2i, MIE2i, IE2, OE Supra
  8. JBL - J33i, J55
  9. Klipsch - S4i, Image One, Image X10
  10. SMS by 50 Cent - Sync Wireless, Street Over Ear, Street Wireless, DJ
  11. Sol - Republic, Amps HD, Master Tracks
  12. Sony DR220DP, MDRV6, V900HD, MDR7506, XB40EX, XB700
  13. Soul by Ludacris - SL 49, SL 99, SL 150
  14. Ultimate Ears - UE100, UE500, UE500vi
  15. V-Moda Remix

Here's a general rule of thumb we live by here ... "if it's made in China, there's a fake version"

Oh by the way, I've heard rumors of fake HD 700 ... and no, that's not a typo, I did mean Sennheiser HD700. Although, I've yet to see one.

Post them in this thread and I will update the list. Just confirm the B&W, those are the only ones I never saw.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/691594/counterfeited-headphones-list

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #110 of 156
Here's some pics that might give you an idea how difficult it is to spot a fake, specially if you you're buying onine and won't have the chance to audition the cans, which is made worse by the fact that sellers would not post real pics and instead use pics from Sennheiser's website. Unfortunately I no longer have the box, but here goes:

At a quick glance it looks like the real thing.

Main cable comes with smartphone controls, 2.5mm connector for the earcup, and folding 3.5mm connector to the music source.

Comes with spare cable (without mic) and adapter.

Note the Momentum plate is made of metal. The leather on the headband is actually smoother that the original. The original is more grainy.

No sharp edges here.

Note the wires that connect the earcups are the correct color.

Foam removed to show the serial number sticker on the right cup. (For the eagle eyed among you, that's not the driver it came with. I already replaced it with my Marshall Major 50mm driver.  The driver that came with this fake Momentum is encased in translucent plastic and the wires are silver.)

The foam is taller and not as soft as the orginal.

Note the stitching and the model plate.

The opening in the foam is smaller making the cups rest on your ears.

Hard case.

Debossed logo on the zipper pull.

I got this unit for about $30 because I needed a housing to transplant my Marshall Major drivers when the vynil headband disintegrated after 2 years. I love the warm sound of Marshall and thought about buying a new one, but I hate the fact they clamp like a vice and hurt my ears. Its also a waste since the drivers are still in excellent condition. Now, they're more comfortable. That's at least one reason why someone would intentionally but fake Momentums.  

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #111 of 156
I've got a fake one class A from http://igadgetsstore.com/ (Yarkata) in the UK for £120, so stay absolutely away from this website. I have to admit that it is done quite well, but it took me 30 seconds to spot it in terms of materials...fake leather is just rubbish, the real one is so easy to feel. Also the fit is awful and the sound is boomy and harsh, the pad are ways too narrow and rigid. I am trying to ship the cans back but I seriously doubt I will manage to do it...ah it also smell awful.

It also has the bolts on the headband silver rather than black like in the genuine model...silly me it was too good to be real at this price....I'll wait till the new model M2 comes out, this probably will push down the price of the old model even lower than the current one at £170 directly from Sennheiser.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #113 of 156
  Here's some pics that might give you an idea how difficult it is to spot a fake, specially if you you're buying onine and won't have the chance to audition the cans, which is made worse by the fact that sellers would not post real pics and instead use pics from Sennheiser's website. Unfortunately I no longer have the box, but here goes:

Thanks so much for posting this. My Momentums are exactly as the pictures you've posted. While that alone wouldn't sway me to think these were fake, the horrible sound has me almost convinced.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #114 of 156
Rule of thumb. If it doesn't sound good, it's probably fake.

I know that for some people it may be hard to distinguish but if they don't sound right to you, return them. Even if they were real and you don't like the sound you should return them anyways.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #116 of 156
Hi syclick,

I also just got a pair from Warehouse Deals, and this post scared me at first, too! However, a Warehouse Deals set would be an Amazon.com return, and I would expect that it would almost certainly be genuine unless someone decided to be a real jerk and buy genuine only to return his fakes. You may simply dislike the Sennheiser sound, in which case, as cuiter23 suggested, you may want to return anyway to try another brand anyway. There are a few simple things you can check on the Momentums that d4nt3 outlined in his extremely enlightening post: 

Look closely at the headband material. Even a good fake is likely going to use fake leather. Real leather has a softness to it that fake leather does not. Also check the grain pattern as real leather will have an unpredictable pattern while fake should be more uniform.

Measure the driver size. According to d4nt3, fakes will use cheaper 30 mm drivers so that they can fit into the enclosure. If your drivers measure 40 mm (~1.5 in), you've probably got the real deal.

Fakes have to cut costs somewhere, and expensive materials like leather and custom slim drivers seem like obvious places to do so.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #117 of 156
I am noticing a few differences between d4nt3's fakes and the ones I bought from Warehouse Deals ("very good" condition). The spare cable on mine does not say "Listen responsibly. Drive safely" at all on the tabbed plastic that is wrapped around it. There is no lettering at all on that wrap.

Additionally the quarter inch adapter and its wrapper look different. My adapter looks like this: http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e328/twister6/twister6045/sennheiser_momentum-11_zpsb750880a.jpg (photo from this review: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2544312). The wrapper has some writing on it, as seen here http://www.technologyx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/IMG_0634.jpg (photo from this review: http://www.technologyx.com/digital/audio-2/sennheiser-momentum-brownblackivory-review/).

Of course, these small items could be the sorts of things Sennheiser would swap over time. These are a few things to look at, though, and similarity to the fake's accessories and wrappers could be cause for concern.

Many thanks to d4nt3 for the time he took to bring us the photos of that extremely well done fake!

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #118 of 156
Some days ago I got my new pair, but the authenticity hologram on the box looks kinda washed out (despite the fact that the code matched the QR scan), which made me have my doubts. I followed the registration on Sennheiser's website, and though everything matched, I still have my doubts because of the box... I contacted Sennheiser about it bit have not received any response whatsoever. Was the hologram simply washed out during shipping, or was I actually ripped off? I bought them off directly from Amazon (no third party or marketplace seller), so there should be no problem with counterfeit fakes, but... I'm paranoid about it, specially with all the ¨Class A¨ imitations.

So, how good does it look? Well, take a look. Here's what the driver looks like:

The earcups and headband look AND FEEL pretty legit as well:

And this is how the hologram on the box looks, which makes me feel suspicious about its authenticity (notice how the big Y, while still distinguishable, looks washed out):

So, what do you think? Do they look legit? Or were I and Amazon ripped off?

Also of note, so far in this thread it seems that all the spotted fakes are from the black model. I'm yet to see a fake Ivory. I hope I'm just being paranoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back