Fake Senheiser IE800?
Apr 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #91 of 454
  Thought I'd add my 2 cents with regards to some IE800s purchased off Aliexpress ..price $39.99US with retail packaging.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea how a pair of authorized IE800 sound nor the origins of where these are sourced/manufactured…what I can say is that after a few days of intense listening the audio is IMHO of audiophile quality, extremely balanced, dynamic with excellent extension at both extremes and very good soundstaging.
Compared to my Sennheiser Momentum in ear (bought from Best Buy) even off my iPad Nano… the bass on these IE800s is much tighter/deeper, image separation is better and overall distortion is lower.
Like most audiophile gear first listen may not impress, therefore no exaggerated base or treble…nothing that really stands out ands to the casual listener high end gear may at first be considered boring.
But these inexpensive IE’s powered off my Bryston gear do hold their own along side my Audeze LCD2.2s in being very smooth, wonderful highs with no sibilance and very good base and somewhat match my Senn HD700s with their clarity and sound staging…are they actual IE800s…who knows but what was acquired as a curiosity are now part my headphone repertoire.

Just to mention the box was of fairly good quality as are the accessories and show none of the tell tail signs of the pictured fakes or counterfeits, the serial number on the box matches the one etched on the metal plate in the case and the number (sans 3D label) on the box passes Sennheiser’s on site authentication.

So overall not a bad copy (if they are in fact a copy) but my curiosity to purchase them stems not from wanting to “pretend” to own a high priced headphone as sound quality is paramount to me but from being fascinated to see/hear for myself what companies do by going to great extremes to copy something down to the finest details and sometimes even (but rarely) surpassing the quality of the original.

Unfortunately when not knowing the exact origins of the ie800s we are left with a lot of unanswered questions and not all unauthorized/copies/counterfeits are of equal quality to the chagrin of Sennheiser and consumers alike.
confused.gif

Dude. 

That sounds awful. So freaking awful. 

Ie800 does not need to be anywhere near LCD2.2

Ie800 is not a smooth IEM, it is a very bright, very bassy, very clear, very separated, very good soundstage, sweet mids IEM. 

What you describe sounds like a very very bad copy. 

Well, this signature is found in many others, but I would never want to pay for such a signature, I want my bright ie800 signature. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #92 of 454

Dude. 

That sounds awful. So freaking awful. 

Ie800 does not need to be anywhere near LCD2.2

Ie800 is not a smooth IEM, it is a very bright, very bassy, very clear, very separated, very good soundstage, sweet mids IEM. 

What you describe sounds like a very very bad copy. 

Well, this signature is found in many others, but I would never want to pay for such a signature, I want my bright ie800 signature. 

But these inexpensive IE’s powered off my Bryston gear do hold their own along side my Audeze LCD2.2s in being very smooth, wonderful highs with no sibilance and very good base and somewhat match my Senn HD700s with their clarity and sound staging…are they actual IE800s…who knows but what was acquired as a curiosity are now part my headphone repertoire.

I know just so terrible
tongue.gif
so I've just ordered  a second pair from the same seller.
rolleyes.gif
  one for home and one for my walking.

The question remains though..when it comes to "Mainland" China is some of Sennheiser's manufacturing farmed out to none Sennheiser sites?
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pl/0-s-c-1/Search.html?ns=1&qc=prd&qs=sennheiser+ie800

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #93 of 454

I know just so terrible
tongue.gif
so I've just ordered  a second pair from the same seller.
rolleyes.gif
  one for home and one for my walking.

The question remains though..when it comes to "Mainland" China is some of Sennheiser's manufacturing farmed out to none Sennheiser sites?
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pl/0-s-c-1/Search.html?ns=1&qc=prd&qs=sennheiser+ie800

Those are exactly the type of sites selling false and counterfeit products. 

Also, you are not getting ie800 experience. Audeze are not the best to compare in this world, compared to ie800, auedeze LCD2.2 is veiled. What you are hearing is a counterfeit with treble rolloff, which is a bad product. 

I don't think this market needs any more smooth headphones, there are a few hundreds, and no one comes close to ie800 or akg k3003, just because some people want that treble.. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #94 of 454

Those are exactly the type of sites selling false and counterfeit products. 

Also, you are not getting ie800 experience. Audeze are not the best to compare in this world, compared to ie800, auedeze LCD2.2 is veiled. What you are hearing is a counterfeit with treble rolloff, which is a bad product. 

I don't think this market needs any more smooth headphones, there are a few hundreds, and no one comes close to ie800 or akg k3003, just because some people want that treble.. 

Have to agree.

But....hard to disdain as the sound is overall very good… although I must admit my experience with higher end IE's is minimal but to me the treble is smooth but not rolled off but then again I’m an older audiophool.
redface.gif

I can only go by what I own/owned which are mostly higher end Senns including the HD800s, and as I mentioned I’m also currently comparing them to my HD700s which are known for their treble extension and sound staging...I'd say these IE800s sit somewhere in the middle of the HD700s and the LCD2.2s..but more toward the 700s or even a combo of both.
I’d love to actually hear an authorized pair of Sennheiser IE800 but at $1000 Can it would be a leap of faith as IEs are not a priority but hopefully one day.  
I must admit though that what I’m hearing for the price of $40 is way beyond my expectations and IMHO much better than my current IEs…some Sennheiser Momentum M2IEs.. which are a fun listen  but not of audiophile quality and they go for over $100 Can.

I do not condone folks who try to pass off anything as legit that is not authorized by the original manufacturer for profit and the web is rampant with such offerings so dangerous waters…are some of these so called fakes …counterfeits actually originating from some authorized Senn factory…that we’ll never know.

On a side note....Interestingly enough I’ve noticed all the cheaper priced M2IEi m2e Momentum In Ear Headphones, which are made in China, have now been taken off Aliexpress.

I was almost tempted to pick up a pair to compare to my Best Buy pair.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #95 of 454
  Have to agree.

But....hard to disdain as the sound is overall very good… although I must admit my experience with higher end IE's is minimal but to me the treble is smooth but not rolled off but then again I’m an older audiophool.
redface.gif

I can only go by what I own/owned which are mostly higher end Senns including the HD800s, and as I mentioned I’m also currently comparing them to my HD700s which are known for their treble extension and sound staging...I'd say these IE800s sit somewhere in the middle of the HD700s and the LCD2.2s..but more toward the 700s.
I’d love to actually hear an authorized pair of Sennheiser IE800 but at $1000 Can it would be a leap of faith as IEs are not a priority but hopefully one day.  
I must admit though that what I’m hearing for the price of $40 is way beyond my expectations and IMHO much better than my current IEs…some Sennheiser Momentum M2IEs.. which are a fun listen  but not of audiophile quality and they go for over $100 Can.

I do not condone folks who try to pass off anything as legit that is not authorized by the original manufacturer for profit and the web is rampant with such offerings so dangerous waters…are some of these so called fakes …counterfeits actually originating from some authorized Senn factory…that we’ll never know.

Supporting fakes is not a good thing. 

hm... maybe you have a good copy. But that is still not a good reason for them to sell something as something else.

IF they can, why not create something to rival dunu or something. I mean, I wanted to buy a dunu, and totally would, but I got ie800, and I am very happy with them..

Well, I am just a bit frustrated that there are so few IEMs and closed back headphones that are bright enough and have good sound characterstics. I mean, I would totally buy a closed back headphone sounding like ie800, or like HD800, or like Ultrasone sig dj but with more treble. 

But the companies keep making them dark and smooth headphones. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #96 of 454

Supporting fakes is not a good thing. 

hm... maybe you have a good copy. .....

Again I agree.... but even though mine are a fine sounding pair of IEs... I'll never know if I have a good sounding "copy" if I have never heard an authorized original IE800 to compare it to....and that is the problem with buying copies or counterfeits....especially for those who believe they are buying the "Real McCoy".
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #97 of 454
The last few days I’ve been throwing a lot of different music genres at these from China IE800s...listening last night to my CD of Micky Harts “Planet Drum” which was just phenomenal through these tiny devises powered off my Bryston BHA-1 head-amp and BCD-1 CD player…right up there with LCD-2.2 for base and HD700 for clarity ,instrument separation, staging and detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWlK-cL504&list=RDOvKBLIaSyAg&index=2

EDM and large scale classical is also extremely satisfying ..

Not only that but the amount of volume they can be cranked up to without distortion and no conjestion is dangerous. (for the ears
redface.gif
)…very balanced from top to bottom…a delight to listen to.. so generally mightily impressive IMHO
So overall I find all this all rather perplexing … spending soooo little but they’re as aurally satisfying (even off my iPod Nano) and competent as my larger rigs… ….so are these real IE800s …or I'm guilty of buying amazing copies …or what… maybe I’m deaf and can’t hear anymore??
triportsad.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #100 of 454
  The last few days I’ve been throwing a lot of different music genres at these from China IE800s...listening last night to my CD of Micky Harts “Planet Drum” which was just phenomenal through these tiny devises powered off my Bryston BHA-1 head-amp and BCD-1 CD player…right up there with LCD-2.2 for base and HD700 for clarity ,instrument separation, staging and detail.

Not only that but the amount of volume they can be cranked up to without distortion and no conjestion is dangerous. (for the ears
redface.gif
)…very balanced from top to bottom…a delight to listen to.. so generally mightily impressive IMHO
So overall I find all this all rather perplexing … spending soooo little but they’re as aurally satisfying (even off my iPod Nano) and competent as my larger rigs… ….so are these real IE800s …or I'm guilty of buying amazing copies …or what… maybe I’m deaf and can’t hear anymore??
triportsad.gif

It is disturbing to see someone advertise fakes off some IEM(s). Even if they are good, they are still counterfeit. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #101 of 454

It is disturbing to see someone advertise fakes off some IEM(s). Even if they are good, they are still counterfeit. 

What I find fascinating is that high-end audio is really a specialty or niche hobby and the average consumer is not even aware that such costly products exists and scoff at any headset that does come free with a player. Call me naive but I’m amazed to find something like the IE800s actually copied in such fine detail right down to the accessories and packaging and sometimes sounding almost if not the same as the original, we’re talking a very specific molded ceramic shell with a tiny driver…. labor is cheap in China (for now)…but still…we’re not talking “Beats” or a fancy watch but an item very few consumers would be even aware of, or have interest in buying…but here they are and sold for a song...just stay away from "ebay"

For me what has started as a curiosity has really grab my attention….and I guess they’ll keep me entertained until the HD800S’s are back in stock at the “authorized “ dealers.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #102 of 454

Not only that but the amount of volume they can be cranked up to without distortion and no conjestion is dangerous. (for the ears :xf_eek: )…very balanced from top to bottom…a delight to listen to.. so generally mightily impressive IMHO
So overall I find all this all rather perplexing … spending soooo little but they’re as aurally satisfying (even off my iPod Nano) and competent as my larger rigs… ….so are these real IE800s …or I'm guilty of buying amazing copies …or what… maybe I’m deaf and can’t hear anymore?? :triportsad:

I've personally unknowingly purchased a counterfeit from Taobao before and I have to agree that it sounds really close to the original. I found out that it's a fake only after sending it back to Sennheiser for RMA due to cable issues. The engineers were not able to spot that it's fake from the sound but it was the carrier case that give it away. I was shocked and same time impressed by the quality of the fake. I bought a genuine pair immediately on the spot as well. To be fair, it's sound remarkably close. Differences are not subtle. The fakes have equally great bass but not sub bass. There this rumble in the originals that cannot be replicated. The fakes also do not that translucency or airy soundstage of the real deal. But I can vouch that for a non authentic product, it sounds pristine. Nonetheless, it will never be the genuine ceramics gem.

The IE800 is probably the last I'll ever own. In fact I purchased a spare original pair, just in case it'll go end of line. That's how good it is, to me.

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #103 of 454
I have a verified authentic set for sale on the forums, if anyone is interested.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #104 of 454
Absolutely! I've never suspected my first copy pair was a fake even after auditioning the original at Sennheiser. The short span of time during an audition, coupled with the noisy ambient noise, proved difficult to judge the difference. It was only after bringing a pair of originals home that I can identify the variation. The fake ones also have a V-shape sound signature. It's very similar to comparing a real gemstone and a fake one. What is amusing to me is how China has managed to replicate such intricacies of sound signature - Tuning, Components and Resonance. The Fakes may not be the true German made 7mm dynamic transducer but it sure beats the hell of many BA I've own and tested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back