Fake Joe Grados?
Aug 10, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 44
UPS kept me waiting until 720 pm, but boy was it worth it.  The verdict, in a word, is "wow" - just tried 'em out.  I think they're not even burned in yet, but the sound is neutral all the way - what a delight! - and I haven't even tried 'em yet with the flats that I ordered.  (The replaced pads are bowls - also pristine).   They make a super complement to my PS1000 and GS1000s.  Down to the cable, these cans look brand spanking new, and I could swear, they may even have a new smell to them - sweet.  Looks wise, they are absolutely pristine.   And they came quadruple packed no less!   My seller sure wasn't kidding when he said he took care of them.   N

Now, I'm scared to mess them up, clumsy as I am  :)   No doubt about it, I really have to find a great case to keep them in - I'm wondering whether Grado can provide me with a replacement pre-cut foam insert for the wood box I bought a year or two ago for my PS1000s (I'm not even sure they're selling the boxes anymore).  If anyone has the exact specs for the HP1000, I'd greatly appreciate it - with them, I can try to find someone who might make me a custom protective case, foam inserts and all.  

Oh sweet music!

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #19 of 44
Here's a picture showing the modded bowl (left) and the normal one (right).  Note the modification is permanent.

I'm curious, which amp are you using with your HP1000? 
smile_phones.gif
  I find them very picky with amps but have positive results with SS amps.  They also scale extremely well with better equipment. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #21 of 44
Well, I only tried 'em out for a few minutes last night on my Cary Xciter, using two Dynaco (Telefunken) 12AX7s on the front end and a quad of just some Gold Lion KT66 reissue power tubes.  I also have a bunch of other 12AX7 tubes I'll be playing with, including some Amperex bugle boys (12AX7) which I pulled from my parents' old (1959) stereo.  My other rig, unfortunately, is still boxed up (for lack of space) - also a Cary - the SLI-80 F1, and also a tube amp.   Those use 6922 tubes.  Anyway, I'm sure I'll be experimenting with different combinations...

I do have, for my office set up (I work out of my apartment), the headroom ultra-micro stack, which is my only solid state set up - a sweet one too - and will try the phones out on that too.   As for price, cifini, remember, it was also advertised "OBO," so I was able to negotiate down a few hundred dollars.   I figure, since I barely use my car, living in NYC, that's money I saved not buying gasoline :)  Of course, looking at the old posts from 2003 or so, well, tears in my eyes :)

Critical now is to find a good way to store these, as, living in NYC, dust is a major issue.  Right now, they're very, very well protected, triple bagged, etc., but I want to be able to grab them on whim without elaborate packing and unpacking.  

They do look absolutely brand new (though still awaiting the flats for the real test).   This is one major purchase I don't regret.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #22 of 44

Quote:
Well, I only tried 'em out for a few minutes last night on my Cary Xciter, using two Dynaco (Telefunken) 12AX7s on the front end and a quad of just some Gold Lion KT66 reissue power tubes.  I also have a bunch of other 12AX7 tubes I'll be playing with, including some Amperex bugle boys (12AX7) which I pulled from my parents' old (1959) stereo.  My other rig, unfortunately, is still boxed up (for lack of space) - also a Cary - the SLI-80 F1, and also a tube amp.   Those use 6922 tubes.  Anyway, I'm sure I'll be experimenting with different combinations...

I do have, for my office set up (I work out of my apartment), the headroom ultra-micro stack, which is my only solid state set up - a sweet one too - and will try the phones out on that too.   As for price, cifini, remember, it was also advertised "OBO," so I was able to negotiate down a few hundred dollars.   I figure, since I barely use my car, living in NYC, that's money I saved not buying gasoline :)  Of course, looking at the old posts from 2003 or so, well, tears in my eyes :)

Critical now is to find a good way to store these, as, living in NYC, dust is a major issue.  Right now, they're very, very well protected, triple bagged, etc., but I want to be able to grab them on whim without elaborate packing and unpacking.  

They do look absolutely brand new (though still awaiting the flats for the real test).   This is one major purchase I don't regret.

Put them in a one gallon Ziploc bag and NEVER store them in their original box with blue foam. Wash the ear pads with soap and water and air try them every once in a while.
It looks like you have a pair that has got all the lettering intact. I would try to keep them that way if possible. The sweat from your hands will wipe off the red lettering easily. I applied a thin coat of Renaissance wax on them for protection. Maybe you can consider that too?
I also put the headphones (with the ziploc bag) in an aluminium foam case like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/flight-case-with-foam-36796?C=Brilliant1&U=P5%20Promo%202011&T=foam%20case&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Legacy%20Promo%20Products&utm_term=foam%20case&gclid=CJHWxP2Sx6oCFcVO4QodjyaV0w&mckv=mkwid|sSnBONEgZ|pcrid|7838586012|plid||kword|foam+case

It takes no time to take the headphones in and out of the case but most of them my HP1000 just live inside the bag on my desk.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #23 of 44
Great tip, and the seller did in fact put them in a big ziploc bag, after wrapping them in bubble wrap.  I never heard of renaissance wax - I'll have to check that out .... Is it oily?   No risk at all to the lettering, etc.?

Right now, the ziploc bag they came in is, in turn, in a UPS box, which in turn is in a larger box also protected by bubble wrap.  Really safe, but obviously not easily accessible.   I'm kind of clumsy, as mentioned, so is there anything I should watch out for in terms of not twisting, messing up the Joe Grado ultra bandwidth cable (or putting undue stress on it?)

Did you have to cut out the foam to make the cans fit?  If so, how did you do that?    Thanks.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #24 of 44

Quote:
Great tip, and the seller did in fact put them in a big ziploc bag, after wrapping them in bubble wrap.  I never heard of renaissance wax - I'll have to check that out .... Is it oily?   No risk at all to the lettering, etc.?

Right now, the ziploc bag they came in is, in turn, in a UPS box, which in turn is in a larger box also protected by bubble wrap.  Really safe, but obviously not easily accessible.   I'm kind of clumsy, as mentioned, so is there anything I should watch out for in terms of not twisting, messing up the Joe Grado ultra bandwidth cable (or putting undue stress on it?)

Did you have to cut out the foam to make the cans fit?  If so, how did you do that?    Thanks.

The ziploc bag tip actually came from Joe himself. It keeps the dust off the headphones and allows the cable to form a big loop instead of being squashed in like 99% of headphone boxes do.
Renaissance wax is a museum grade wax that can be applied to a number of different surfaces. It tries off to a transparent layer that you cannot see. I put that on mine to seal the lettering and it was okay. You have to decided if you want to do that, or you can simply try to handle the phones without touching the lettering.
The foam inside those carrying cases came in pre cut small cubes. You can tear off a section in the middle to fit the shape of the object you put inside (shape of the camera or lenses for example). There are also companies who can cut foam to any shapes you want.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #26 of 44
There's been a lot of SR100/200 with HP1000 drivers for sale lately also.  I recently got 2 pairs and almost got a third.  I bet people are selling their rare headphones because of job losses or monetary difficulties. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #27 of 44
You know rhythm, you make a good point.  Your post is a good reminder that those of us who have a decent job, let alone a few extra shekels to indulge in our not-so-cheap hobby, should really be grateful for our good fortune ... .

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #29 of 44
My seller just told me he always kept the headphones letter side up and wrapped in fine cotton cloth, and kept them in the drawer of his china cabinet, in a room that was always dry and heated in the winter.  Interestingly, he told me hd did not keep the cans in a zip locked bag when storing it to avoid the possibility of sweat and face oil being trapped in the bag and possibly damaging the headphones.  And he reminded me (good tip) to wipe the headband after every use. Interesting!

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #30 of 44

Quote:
You know rhythm, you make a good point.  Your post is a good reminder that those of us who have a decent job, let alone a few extra shekels to indulge in our not-so-cheap hobby, should really be grateful for our good fortune ... .

I'm selling my Joe Grados for financial reasons too, but it's also because despite how good they are, I prefer the sound of my orthos which are a lot cheaper and equally uncomfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back