FA7, the first Quad drivers IEM from FiiO , all Knowles BAs and 3D printed technical , MMCX design
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #421 of 680
Since I have to change my FH5 I am considering the FA7 aswell.
I liked the FH5, had a great experience with them.

I listen mostly to orchestral / classical / jazz and big beat-ish stuff such as The Prodigy. Would the FA7 fit my genres better than the FH5?

if not, i'll just get a black FH5 with the longer nozzle
I have both the fh5 and fa7 and feel the fa7 will fit better than the fh5, if fit was a problem with fh5,

For your use described the fa7 will suit your stated use.

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #422 of 680
Since I have to change my FH5 I am considering the FA7 aswell.
I liked the FH5, had a great experience with them.

I listen mostly to orchestral / classical / jazz and big beat-ish stuff such as The Prodigy. Would the FA7 fit my genres better than the FH5?

if not, i'll just get a black FH5 with the longer nozzle
I don't think the newest FH5 has a different nozzle. They are including a double-flange tip set with it, though.
If you like to feel the beat with dance music, FH5 is a better experience. If you're not going to use EQ, I'd generally recommend a pass on the FA7.

However, if, like me, you're not EQ-averse, and are into jazz & classical, and modern recordings, then give it a shot. I don't find myself going back to the FH5 any more.
Here is some material that sounded really good to me on the FA7:

Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring), as recorded by Salonen/LAPO on DG: (bass drum digs deep, with impact)
Chillin' - Rudresh Mahanthappa (demonstrates good coherence and "instrument separation")
Digital Society - Aaron Parks
Tiny Resistors - Todd Sickafoose
Conduit – I. Touch - Eighth Blackbird

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #424 of 680
By the way, I finally settled on a tip combo with the FA7. The medium bass tips fit well for me, but I did find that they didn't stay put as much as I liked while exercising. I tried the Final Audio E-type M tips, but they were too small for me. I sighed and ordered the large size of those tips, and found that they fit very well. The silicone has better grip within the canal as compared to the FiiO included tips.
I did bump the low bass up a little, going from FiiO bass tips to FA E-type:
  • 31.5 Hz: -0.3 dB -> 0 dB
  • 63 Hz: -3 db -> -2.2 dB
  • [edit]: After some more time with more tracks, I reverted the EQ changes.
The FA tips can be a bit pricey, if you don't live in Hong Kong. If I had the actual dimensions of the tips in advance, I would have saved $25.
For everyone's reference, here are the dimensions, as provided by my request from Final Audio:

Thank you for contacting us and your consideration on our E type ear tips.

The dimensions of them are stated as followed:

Size Outer Diameter Length
-------------------------------------------------
SS 10.4mm 8.5mm
S 11.1mm 8.7mm
M 11.9mm 8.9mm
L 12.7mm 9.1mm
LL 13.4mm 9.3mm

We hope that this information helps.
Should you have any further question, please feel free to contact us anytime at your convenience.

Have a nice day and Thanks God it's Friday!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #425 of 680
These are some contrasting statements you guys got there :dt880smile:
I don't think the newest FH5 has a different nozzle. They are including a double-flange tip set with it, though.
If you like to feel the beat with dance music, FH5 is a better experience. If you're not going to use EQ, I'd generally recommend a pass on the FA7.

However, if, like me, you're not EQ-averse, and are into jazz & classical, and modern recordings, then give it a shot. I don't find myself going back to the FH5 any more.
Here is some material that sounded really good to me on the FA7:

Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring), as recorded by Salonen/LAPO on DG: (bass drum digs deep, with impact)
Chillin' - Rudresh Mahanthappa (demonstrates good coherence and "instrument separation")
Digital Society - Aaron Parks
Tiny Resistors - Todd Sickafoose
Conduit – I. Touch - Eighth Blackbird

Those are good examples, I think they're quite similiar to what I usually listen to (well, except for the Prodigy part).

If I understood correctly the FH5 black features the same, longer and thinner nozzle of the FA7. I had some fitting problems with the FH5 using foam tips but never with double flange or other silicon tips.
While I consider the FH5 to be overall fun and exceptional in the bass response I don't think they really excel in separation and clarity. While they have a relaxed approach sometimes I find their sound to be a bit too "muddy" and that mudiness alone can get fatiguing.
So yeah, I'd say that if there's an improvement I seek for it's clarity and separation.

I've got nothing against EQing since most players nowdays support this feature. I also like to use an adaptive EQ on my phone.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #426 of 680

Those are good examples, I think they're quite similiar to what I usually listen to (well, except for the Prodigy part).

If I understood correctly the FH5 black features the same, longer and thinner nozzle of the FA7. I had some fitting problems with the FH5 using foam tips but never with double flange or other silicon tips.
While I consider the FH5 to be overall fun and exceptional in the bass response I don't think they really excel in separation and clarity. While they have a relaxed approach sometimes I find their sound to be a bit too "muddy" and that mudiness alone can get fatiguing.
So yeah, I'd say that if there's an improvement I seek for it's clarity and separation.

I've got nothing against EQing since most players nowdays support this feature. I also like to use an adaptive EQ on my phone.
The black fh5, from my understanding, has the same nozzle as the previous model; the new fh7 may incorporate a nozzle change.

I too have been using the fa7 more than the fh5. I may be a rare listener but I do not like to use eq; I tend to use as final solution volume control such as the q5 256 step volume parameter.

As for contrasting comments, we each hear in our own mind what no one else will hear. :)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #427 of 680

I haven't seen any measurements of a "new nozzle size" for the FH5. Does anyone have a report on that?

Measured with calipers:
  • FA7: 5.15 mm (min), 5.65 mm (max), 4.55 mm (distance measured from dip in shell over crus helix to base of nozzle).
  • FH5 (original): 5.88 mm (min), 6.54 mm (max), 1 mm (distance measured from dip in shell over crus helix to base of nozzle).
Yes, clarity and separation is noticeably better with the FA7. Some older recordings suffer, as a result. If you don't EQ down some of that upper mid bass on the FA7, though, there is some perceived bleed that compromises midrange clarity.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #428 of 680
I haven't seen any measurements of a "new nozzle size" for the FH5. Does anyone have a report on that?

Measured with calipers:
  • FA7: 5.15 mm (min), 5.65 mm (max), 4.55 mm (distance measured from dip in shell over crus helix to base of nozzle).
  • FH5 (original): 5.88 mm (min), 6.54 mm (max), 1 mm (distance measured from dip in shell over crus helix to base of nozzle).
Yes, clarity and separation is noticeably better with the FA7. Some older recordings suffer, as a result. If you don't EQ down some of that upper mid bass on the FA7, though, there is some perceived bleed that compromises midrange clarity.
I don't agree with better clarity and separation on the FA7 exactly because of the mid bass bleed. I don't EQ, and therefore found the FH5 far more linear, open and clear than the FA7, although some prefer the FA7's more recessed mids. Fit and tip selection is everything with the FH5 - get the wrong fit or a poor seal and they're horrible. It's much easier to get a good, deep seal with the FA7, although that makes them less comfortable for me as a result.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #429 of 680

Measured with calipers:
What I found on the fh5 is that the tightest fitting ear tip on the nozzle has a big impact.

I found the spinfit 155 that fit more easily did not produce better sound than the harder to fit spinfit 145; there are many strange things to discover in finding your particular ear tip.

Edit: spinfit 145 is 4.5mm fit to nozzle while spinfit 155 is 5.5mm.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #431 of 680
About tips?

I got a ear infection from using my iem's, I am using spin fit there were new.

Is there a tip that will lessen the risk of infection?

I do clean my tips

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #432 of 680
I posted some thoughts on the FA7 here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fa7.23413/reviews#review-21821

I'm very impressed with the FA7 once equalised, particularly in terms of detail and separation. Great comfort, isolation and excellent in terms of leakage as well — great for people like me who are always paranoid about making too much noise. I think Brooko isolated the main issue with the sound really well here. Regarding my score, I've given them the benefit of the doubt based on what they are capable of with EQ.

And absolutely beautiful in real life: https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/10265113.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #433 of 680
My short impressions about the FiiO FA7 :)

The FiiO FA7 is a Quad Driver In-Ear Monitor which is packed in to a beautiful and comfortable monitor shell.
The fairly U shaped tuning of the FA7 offers a clean, dynamic and musical presentation that I have enjoyed.

Pros & Cons:

• + Design & Craftsmanship
  • + Comfort
  • + Rich accessories package
  • + Clean, Dynamic and Musical Presentation
  • - Soundstage depth could be slightly better
  • - Bass heavy songs can cause to a minor bass bleed
Full Review :globe_with_meridians:
https://moonstarreviews.net/fiio-fa7-quad-driver-iem-review/

and as always, some of my favorite Shots:sunglasses: :camera_with_flash:

20190203_172211.jpg

20190205_123157(1).jpg

Attachments

• 20190203_171730.jpg
    20190203_171730.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #435 of 680
My short impressions about the FiiO FA7 :)

The FiiO FA7 is a Quad Driver In-Ear Monitor which is packed in to a beautiful and comfortable monitor shell.
The fairly U shaped tuning of the FA7 offers a clean, dynamic and musical presentation that I have enjoyed.

Pros & Cons:

• + Design & Craftsmanship
  • + Comfort
  • + Rich accessories package
  • + Clean, Dynamic and Musical Presentation
  • - Soundstage depth could be slightly better
  • - Bass heavy songs can cause to a minor bass bleed
Full Review :globe_with_meridians:
https://moonstarreviews.net/fiio-fa7-quad-driver-iem-review/

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to write and share it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back