Fa-011 with a Asus Xonar DX Soundcard?
Nov 28, 2012 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

macgivor

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Just wondering if the ohms rating of a Xonar DX soundcard is enough to comfortably drive a pair of Fischer Audio FA-011 headphones?

Ive done a fair bit of googling but cant find a definative answer and no websites seem to show the ohms rating of the DX.

Thanks so much for your time!

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Just wondering if the ohms rating of a Xonar DX soundcard is enough to comfortably drive a pair of Fischer Audio FA-011 headphones?
I've done a fair bit of googling but cant find a definative answer and no websites seem to show the Ohms rating of the DX.

Someone once test the Xonar DX and said the headphone output jack was 100-Ohms.
I once plugged 250-Ohm headphones into the Xonar DX, max audio was about a as loud as a whisper.
The Fischer Audio FA-011 is 160-Ohms.
One option is to get the Xonar DG ($25, PCI) or DGX ($39.99. PCI-E) sound card.
They come with a half-way decent headphone amplifier.

Or get a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($49.99), for use with the Xonar DX
For $62, you can get the Micca package, which comes with an extra battery (BL-5B) and a simple battery battery charger.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks mate. I have a PA2V2 from Electric avenues which i use to drive my ATH-M50s so i will just plug that in and use it for the Fa-011s. its annoying because i want them for gaming so i was hoping to avoid having to use the pa2v2. oh well at least the battery is easily replaced and charged  in that.

Thanks again!

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Thanks mate. I have a PA2V2 from Electric avenues which i use to drive my ATH-M50s so i will just plug that in and use it for the Fa-011s. its annoying because i want them for gaming so i was hoping to avoid having to use the pa2v2. oh well at least the battery is easily replaced and charged  in that.

Thanks again!

What seems to be the problem with using a Xonar DX with a PA2V2 with a power adapter?

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 7
oh it will just get annoying having to keep plugging in and unplugging the charger for the pa2v2 to avoid overcharging. the battery lasts like a hundred hours though so it wont be an issue at all, was just hoping the dx on its own would be fine.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 7
While in use, there is no issue of overcharging, however when the amp is off, the adapter shouldn't be connected for a period longer than 8 hours.

Gary himself has said the following:
Once the batteries are installed inside Pocket Amp 2, you will not have to open the amp up for about 500 to
1000 recharging cycles, which should easily amount to three or four years of normal use. Pocket Amp 2 has
a built in recharging circuit. When the AC adpater is plugged in, the batteries will automaticaly begin to
recharge, whether the amplifier is in the ON or OFF position. If the AC adapter is connected, and the amp is
ON and being used, the batteries will not be overcharged. However, if the amplifier is OFF, the AC adapter
should not be plugged in for periods longer than eight hours to avoid overcharging
"

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Ok thanks that shouldnt be a problem at all, I will be careful with the charging etc.

Billy from Noisy Motel (Australian audio store where I am getting the FA-011s from) has mentioned that the PA2V2 may not have the power to drive the FA-011s.... I have done a bit of googling and haven't been able to find the max impedence the PA2V2 can drive. Is anyone able to help out with this?

I really appreciate the help guys, thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back