F* the iPhone
Aug 10, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #31 of 77
o btw g-mans last thread just got pulled regarding peope dressed as duche(******) bags
another attempt at controversial??

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #33 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G-man spends his life blowing smoke on others views with very limited experience IMO of what he burns!!
He has reached his post count trying to be controversial and argumentative!!

Make your mind up, either i am or i am not controversial. And I am confused about the burning comment. And exactly how do you know how i spend my life? Do you know me? no.

Quote:

Yes i argue in favour of my iphone, somewhat fervently at times, but this is because i feel strongly about its uses features and interface!!

so why are people not allowed to feel strongly against? Why is it that when you post something it is all right, but when someone opposes you, you feel the urge to call then stupid and say they know nothing?

Quote:

Some people like to be down on apple for whatever reason and as much as we all are entitled to opinion there is a fine line between citing your views and being controversial for the sake of fanning argument and raising your post count which g-man appears to be doing!!

I have asked this many, many times, but have yet to get an answer. what would i gain from having a high post count? nothing. so i would not do it. I only post when i want to, for the heck of it. If mods feel my posts are not worth it, they can delete it easily. exactly who the hell are you to say that i spend my life being controversial and raising my post count.

Quote:

I post this with all due respect and do not wish to enter into long winded argument but if in doubt check his posts and the amount of arguments he ,unneccessarily, enters into!!

well that is just a lie. if you don't want to argue, you would not have posted. It is you who for some reason have a problem with me, so its you who are causing an argument.

Quote:

o btw g-mans last thread just got pulled regarding peope dressed as duche(******) bags
another attempt at controversial??

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/pe...es-etc-151238/

it appears that following the rules is too hard for you. do you know why it was pulled? are you secretly me and so can gain access to my pm? no, i don't think so.

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #34 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And considering i my sister has the iphone, i have had quite a lot of experience with it, so yes, i have *some* idea of what i am talking about. And with all due respect, the people online who generally write articles have more knowledge about the product, and the market than you or I. so they would know more. If you read a knowledgeable, non biased opinion or article on the iphone they will all say that it is not the first one, it is too expensive, it is over hyped, and it is not a smart phone.

1. I don't care who's first. I care who's best. If the first to market looks like it has been sprayed with glue then dipped in a bucket of buttons, I don't want it. Period. I had another phone that was cumbersome to use. So while it had a load of features, they weren't used. I use almost everything on the iPhone because I don't have to learn multiple keystrokes and push 18 buttons at the same time while digging though 89 submenus. That stuff looks great when you're looking at feature lists side-by-side, but is completely unusable when you actually use the phone. Actually using the phone is the point of having the phone, is it not? Or should you buy the phone with the most features so you can argue with others on the Internet?

2. It is not too expensive. If you're on minimum wage or a pension, then maybe it is. If you have an average job with average pay, it's nothing.

3. Hype? Who cares? If it works, it works. Maybe that's why there's strong demand and people like them. Suppose any rock band that plays to anything but empty bars sucks too, right?

4. Smart phone? What does that mean, anyway? Is there some sort of government standard that must be met to call something a smartphone? And why should I give any care to semantics when it's a product that I use, productively, for a few hours every day?

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #35 of 77
im with you uncle erik
it works and works well!!
you own one as do i!!
g-man your opinion counts for nothing to me!!
post about what you have experience with!!
by sounds of you and amount of posts you have managed in such short time guessin that is everythin but girls lmao

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #36 of 77
For the casual (not in any way to mean limited, but simply to denote different from business/IT/corporate) user the iPhone seems to do it all.

For business users, I think the iPhone is still a bit behind RIM (push email and security; though I'm not sure on the status of apps). Some of my friends think otherwise, with the 'apple will make blackberry obsolete ' that I really don't buy, at least based on current outlook. "Push" e-mail anyone?

I really liked the price of the $199 (? this still hold true for iphone 3g?) iPhone with new contract, 3g + WiFi, great form factor-- love the slimness. However, the data plans are not yet at a price that I'd feel comfortable paying monthly for. Seems like I'd be better off ordering a separate (huh..always thought it was seperate) internet line @ home to avoid net problems of sharing with others + less than desirable wireless networking performance.

Aug 11, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #37 of 77
The iPhone is now priced much more competitively and realistically than it was before IMO.

My beef with apple is that their products just don't last. iPods made two years ago look completely outdated by today's standards. My iAudio X5L, meanwhile, sounded better than the iPod when it was released and still sounds better than the iPod, albeit at the cost of some disadvantages like a lower-resolution screen and larger size. Then again, back in 2005 I was willing to accept that and still am. The fact is, it still looks and works just as good as the day I got it without a single scratch.

Same with the iPhone... when it came out, people were willing to pay anything to get one, even $350. Now the new one comes out for nearly half the price and is a much, much better version of the old one. And sure, current users of the old iPhone may argue "oh well there's not much of a difference", but I've seen and used new and old side-by-side and I definitely think it's significant. For one thing, the new iPhone has a much, much better LCD in it, no question. Secondly, the new iPhone is much faster due to circuit improvements and the 3G addition, which in my opinion, should have been integrated into the first iPhone.

And yet, mark my words... within one and a half years (likely within a year), a third iPhone will have come out that trounces the last two, and everyone will rush out to get that one as well. It's a vicious cycle which I have avoided.

My solution is to avoid Apple altogether. I use an HP 210 PDA and a Samsung A707 phone from Cingular, and my iAudioX5L MP3 player. It is my opinion that each of these devices individually is superior enough to the iPhone to justify having three devices. The HP 210 accomplishes my organization effortlessly due to advances in technology that I've used since high school, like a stylus. It has Wireless G internet, a bright 4" screen with twice the resolution of the iPhone, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc, all running on the latest version of Windows Mobile, which sucks less than the versions of late mostly because Windows learned from Palm, which is now developing their new OS. When I want to make an actual call, I whip out my phone, which has an amazing technology called tactile buttons that allows me to make a call within a reasonable five seconds without looking at the phone. Then, when our contract runs out in a half year, we'll all buy the next round of free phones with out next contract that accomplish exactly what they are designed and used for - making calls - better than the iPhone.

I really don't see what all the hype is about. Sure, the HP 210 is $400, but it's a serious organizational tool that can literally replace a windows-based laptop if you wish. No monthly charges, no tiny touchscreens to fumble around with your thumbs with. More than one button. It rocks.

Aug 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #38 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is any smartphone really worth it anyway? My mother and father use economy-based Nokias (the type that Nokia dominates market share with). Call quality is excellent, speakerphone is surprisingly decent, battery life lasts at least four times as long as any smartphone I've seen. Practicality sometimes wins out.

Exactly; different requirements for different people. I for one am thankful for the emergence of cell phone diversity. People like your parents that only require voice communication can buy the low-cost, economy-based cell phones.

Others, like myself, may need a plethora of modern devices and applications on a day-to-day basis. These so-called smart phones provide a cheaper alternative for us who need/want cameras, text messaging, voice communication, web browsing, email, GPS, games, music, etc.

Purchasing these devises separately and keeping them readily on hand is too expensive and cumbersome. Therefore these types of phones do contain justifiable worth to their target market.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #39 of 77
All told, it took 2 and 1/2 hours from arrival to departure at Apple Store with iPhone in hand. Do *NOT* be dumb enough to try this on weekend like me.

Yeah, wifey's happy with the cute thing; but already there are two things I don't like about the iPhone:

1. One cannot use the iPhone as USB mass storage device to store data. Dang, even iPod I once owned let you do this!

2. One cannot use the iPhone to save word file or any files for that matter. Pretty much only Apple-approved music or video content can be played. It definitely isn't a small computer one can carry around..AT..ALL.

Once again, F* the iPhone. I'm never getting one myself.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #40 of 77
I didnt have to wait at all to get my 3g. I asked about the iphone and was told getting my hands on one wasnt likely in to near future since Rogers cant hold them for customers, and I am home so rarely, so I settled on a blackberry curve. While I was doing up my phone contract for the curve the UPS guy showed up with a shipment of iPhones, and I was lucky to snatch a 16 gig before the elephant stampede of salivating customers got them all. No wait at all
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. One cannot use the iPhone as USB mass storage device to store data. Dang, even iPod I once I owned let you do this!

2. One cannot use the iPhone to save word file or any files for that matter. Pretty much only Apple-approved music or video content can be played. It definitely isn't a small computer one can carry around..AT..ALL.

Once again, F* the iPhone. I'm never getting one myself.

That's why I hate Apple so much (aside from the marketing) - proprietary crap.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #42 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yet, mark my words... within one and a half years (likely within a year), a third iPhone will have come out that trounces the last two, and everyone will rush out to get that one as well. It's a vicious cycle which I have avoided.

Absolutely. I think Intel has a 45nm dual core x86 mobile proc in the pipeline. Seems destined for the iPhone, and probably a few other toys. That's the reason I think I'll skip the 3G and wait for it next year. A proc like that will give it almost laptop-like power and I imagine it'll be running a good chunk more of OS X, as well.

And I'm sure that chip will find its way into plenty of other phones for those who want something else.

You're right about the vicious circle, but that's how the cutting edge is these days. The way I look at it is that this is one part of my life where I'll pay for the latest n' greatest. $200 a year isn't that bad, I actually use it, and I don't chase fashion in clothing or cars, and my Linux box is four years old already. Annually, I drop money on a new pair of glasses and a new phone. The glasses and phone get more use than about anything else, so I pay for them.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #43 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people always say that. they didnt. all the apple fanboys just caused a huge fuss. As with the ipod, and the iphone. there were better, cheaper variants out there. apple just used its advertising muscle to claim they were the first.

Whether you like it or not, Apple has been a catalyst for change. It changed the phone business and forced other makers to make better phones.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #44 of 77
Intel chip on an iPhone? I highly, highly doubt it. Lets see.. Currently runs on ARM processors which consume way less than anything based on x86. App store and developers. Standardization on a single instruction set. Unneeded complexity in general.

re: F* the iPhone and the general hating.

Isn't this getting old? It's almost as bad as being a fan boy. ::yawwnnn::

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #45 of 77
i personally would love one. i use my ipod touch and a mobile phone all the time. i hate the phone, love the touch. if i could have them together: great idea. as soon as i am able to be in a country long enough to sign a contract, i will and i will take that phone as it would do all i want in one device.

it is also supposed to have less hiss than the 5.5 ipod, so probably on par with the nano 3g: perfect for no too sensitive of earphones, just like the d2.

edit: as for doc etc: those are proprietary formats. so, getting an apple device that does not 'yet' do doc editing because of apple's proprietary loving business model is a silly reason. apple support only one proprietary codec: alac. the others are all industry standards: mp3, aac, wav, aiff, mpeg, mp4, hec264. as far as standards are concerned, i would reckon that each ipod is less proprietary than any other pmp on the market except for maybe cowon's highest end tablet pmp's.

the iphone: will have all those goodies to make it a 'true' smartphone. it does not suck. it is not for everyone. i will buy one for sure as it will make life easier and will sound like an ipod, not a phone. it has been able to view doc files and pdf and txt since the beginning.

as for storage, that one will be something that may happen. as for supporting open source formats: it will happen too. the argument that apple are tight arsed about support is so transparently silly that i must keep laughing for a bit. but someone will try to argue it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back