Extra $$ + Week of Obsessive Head-Fi Research = .... Grado SR-60i
Jan 15, 2011 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eervig

New Head-Fier
Thanks, Head-Fi, for the help - both in scouring the archives and the few threads I've started, trying to figure out what my first decent set of headphones should be.

As an avid fan of jazz, blues, and acoustic pop music - and looking to get a real classical education - I thought if was finally time to invest in how I put my (lossless) computer/iPod audio into my ears. Maybe someday I'll be able to upgrade the source, but I think cutting the $12 JVC flats out of the equation can't hurt.

I flirted heavily with the AD-700s, the HD-555s, K240s, and the ATH-M50s, among others. And I got a ton of helpful and conflicting advice here. And ultimately - after attempting to sort through what would matter to me vs. what matters to audiophiles who collect and compare gear as a hobby - I ended up pulling the trigger on the Grados SR-60i. They will arrive in a few days via Headroom.

My reasoning: not the most amazing build, but not as fragile and prone to disintegration as the HD-555. Not the widest soundstage for open cans, but more versatile (and physically adjustable) than the AD700s (not to mention cheaper).  And against all the other options, the ability to bypass dedicated amplification was a huge plus.

Thanks to Headroom, I know I have a month to make sure this all adds up - probably why I'm even bothering to post this. But I look forward to trying them out, and I'd love to hear any experienced folks criticism of my reasoning. 

Thanks again!

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 10
You didn't make a bad decision IMO. The Grados are fantastic for the genres you have listed. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 10
I think Grado headphones sound great -- but they're just sooo uncomfortable. I always envy the people who are capable of wearing them because my ears itch and get hot after about 20 minutes. The styling is great also -- although I see a lot of hipster indie kids wearing them exactly for that reason. Still sound great though.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 10
There seem to be two definite camps regarding Grados comfort. Slightly less than half the reviews I read say they forget their wearing them/love the earpads, the slight majority seem to want to throw them off their heads after a few songs. I'm hoping the mass of hair on my head helps.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 10
I find the comfort perfectly acceptable. With the G-Cushes they are actually very comfortable. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Congrats on your purchase, hope you enjoy them.

I was one click away from buying the 60i or 80i's, but decided to purchase the E7 instead. I'll probably be getting one or the other soon though just to see if I'm a Grado kind of guy.

Let us know what you think of them when they come.

beerchug.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 10
Enjoy, its really hard to predict how you will feel about them comfort wise, I have large ears that stick out from the side of my head, but I find the bowls to be even more comfortable than flats. I can't really explain that.

Goodluck resisting the urge to mod though
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 10
I just recently received some SR60's used through Head-Fi and they are the best cans I have ever heard especially after modding them which isn't hard at all...zero stress...I'm a 53 year old guy if I can do it anybody can...LOL.
The large Cushions I think I got from headroom were like $20, great deal, I fall asleep night after night with the phones on thats how comfortable they have become

Users who are viewing this thread

Back