eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 20, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #1,696 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About an Interest-Check-Thread:

I'm also very interested in the eXStata, as I already said there are only few electrostatic DIY Amps out there for a smaller budget.
The eXStata is an option for people who'd like to enjoy their music with electrostatic headphones, but have not so much money.

I can only vaguely imagine how much work it is to find a good (and good sounding) design and bring it to the point where the eXStata is atm.
I think the hours invested are beyond counting - just think of the support in this forum which is only one part of it all!

I would also like to start an interest check but could hardly handle some kind of group buy since I live in Germany.
(I think most of the possible buyers live in the US)
I would definitely organize a group-buy for Germany - I would already have 3 people wanting a set of boards and I think there will be more.

I would be willing to open and organize and IC-Thread - where should this thread be opened (which sub-forum)?

Gentlemen, thanks for the expressions of interest. Let's see how the beta group does. In the meantime, please don't start an IC thread without asking me first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #1,697 of 2,970
I see that one has already been started. I'm not sure what the next steps will be folks and I am reluctant to get people's hopes up too early.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #1,699 of 2,970
Well, thought I would check in. My PSU came up after I replaced a few parts, looking healthy and stable now though. Numbers look like this with a 369 JX, 291V zener string.

Line voltage: 122.3 VAC
Secondaries: ~268 VAC
T1-T2: 360 mV
T3-T4: 410 mV
Positive Rail: +299.9 V DC
Negative Rail: - 300.3 V DC
T1 and T3 to ground ~340 VDC

I have my amp board populated save Q11/Q12 which I need to scrounge up some mounting hardware for. After I get some hardware I will try for a setup.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #1,700 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
typically, this isn't allowed in this forum. I'd recommend talking with mod about the appropriate way to do this here at HF.

Mods can yank it should they, or Alex, decide to do so.

I disagree that collecting data / opinions is not allowed in the DIY forum.

EDIT: And though I disagree in the strongest terms, I have also asked that thread be closed, and deleted.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #1,703 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about this for a Transfo for the Hybrid? The R80-17 Model listed in the auction.

R-Core

Those R-cores will work. Spritzer linked it many pages ago. The better model is the R80-36 using the 230V secondaries. The R80-17 would work, but would have to use a 300V Zener string instead of the 291V string.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #1,704 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those R-cores will work. Spritzer linked it many pages ago. The better model is the R80-36 using the 230V secondaries. The R80-17 would work, but would have to use a 300V Zener string instead of the 291V string.

Hmmm, interesting. I was just trying to do a close match to the 269JX.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #1,705 of 2,970
My amp came together fine too. I am waiting on my headphones - has been taking forever, that's ok. I was lucky enough to get loaned a pair of SR-303's with one driver that is only 60% for smoke testing. Even into the equivalent of 1.5 ears the sound is astonishing. This amp has phenomenal control.

I think people have been overly modest with respect to bass when discussing stats, but is could be this amp as I have found it to be satisfying in this respect - and I had my doubts! Picture getting punched in the face, but by a silk gloved hand. The sound is a combination of strength and finesse. I suppose it isn't a challenge for stats to adapt - that is change the direction of the diaphragm and accelerate it. That low end models reach to 35 KHz. Actually the sound of the system reminds me a little of K701, which also reaches very high. Maybe it is a coincidence though.

The beta hybrid seems to sound very similar to the proto SS - at least to my memory. It is hard to pick out anything that sounds markedly different. I do think the hybrid sounds a little bit 'smoother', shall we say. The overall sound signature though is very much the same, perhaps side by side there would be obvious differences.

I have listened to a few tracks with extensive percussion (Amon Tobin). The amp handles tons of voices REALLY well. I can't wait to be able to use both ears and listen to some orchestral music and live music.

I will give some more impressions when I have listened both more thoroughly and with a fully functioning headset.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #1,707 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and for you guys sitting on the sidelines _hoping_ Runeight does another board run, you might want to start an interest check thread to start collecting names, and versions desired (SS or Hybrid), as it will take some serious love (quite appallingly missing so far) to convince him this effort is worth continuing.

image.php

Stax baby would like 2 please.
o2smile.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #1,708 of 2,970
Several of you have written to me privately about my comments above. Re-reading them I can see why there is some confusion.
smily_headphones1.gif

There also seems to be some background chatter about whether or not I am trying to commercialize this amp. The suggestion to do this was made by one or two individuals on the early team. I thought about it, but not that long ago I seriously looked into commercializing some of my other designs and a few that have not been made available to the diy community. As nearly all of you know the step from diy to commercial is large and the time committment and committment to customer service is significant. My consulting practice is not feast or famine, but it does have its slow periods and its very intense periods.

I am about to enter, after the first of the year, a very intense period with several clients and critical deliverables. I will be out of town for much of the first two months. Hence some hesitancy on my part to another round of boards.

The other reason that I didn't try to commercialize this amp is that I had signed up for ericj's request and there was, when we finally had a working amp, an obligation to return it back to this community. If I had intended to commercialize the amp at this time I would never have made the post that started this thread.

But, I will make another round available if we can do it quickly and then after that things will have to wait.

At this point it's hard to gauge interest, but I'm happy to make 10 more SS and 10 more hybrid sets. Price should be similar to before because these are re-do of the boards. Boards will be identical. To make the boards available to as many as possible, only one board set per builder. And new builders only for the same reason.

When this buy is finished, because of the two week lag time, we will be into Jan. My response time then will be slower than it has been lately.

PM me and we'll see how much sign up there is in the next week or two. If we can get 20 buyers then I will place the order.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #1,709 of 2,970
Also, to help alleviate the crunch, I am going to release my beta Hybrid board set, still bare. (I am just keeping my Beta sand version).

And will soon interest check both my follower modded sand and beta amps as mostly complete but caseless, for parts cost (or less). I wanted to give this group a heads up before I post to the general thread. PM me with any questions or interest...

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #1,710 of 2,970
One thing I need to remind everyone about. The boards are paneled. There is one SS and one hybrid per panel. When I order 10 panels I will have 10 of each amp. I'd like to have all 20 (or very close) of these committed before the buy. This would mean that some of you will have to sign up for the SS amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back