eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 21, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #1,711 of 2,970
Well, can you add one extra psu, as I have an extra set of (old) amp boards? And, I guess I need to look into breadboarding that ccs mod for them, and the living other Hybrid.

That set of older hybrid boards is available, along with many parts toward a (REALLY) budget build.

Oh, and I have just started the impressions thread. Maybe folks would care to add to it.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #1,713 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, can you add one extra psu

well, if they're panelized already as Alex said above, I'd guess not.

Good idea with the impressions thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #1,714 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, if they're panelized already as Alex said above, I'd guess not.

Good idea with the impressions thread
smily_headphones1.gif

I _think_ it is just the amp board, at least hope so.

And, we need to have you listening to the current version with the OII - Merry Christmas, indeed.

Now, off to flip the switch on Vulcan after a lunch with my charming wife.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #1,715 of 2,970
Gents, you guys have been very fast on filling up the hybrid order. I have 8 hybrid requests and 1 sand request. And more sand takers?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #1,717 of 2,970
Here is the beast, housed in some a defunct spectroscopy command unit - not the prettiest but it is functional. I still need to buy a drillbit for the stax jack. I have been considering getting a front panel made. How much would something basic run at FPE without engraving? Go easy, I haven't built many amps.
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #1,718 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, can you add one extra psu, as I have an extra set of (old) amp boards? And, I guess I need to look into breadboarding that ccs mod for them, and the living other Hybrid.

IMO, breadboarding the CCS isn't worth it. I have never really heard the lower volume distortion the CCS' were intended to mitigate, the follower mod would provide most of the performance increase with lower parts count...

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #1,719 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, to help alleviate the crunch, I am going to release my beta Hybrid board set, still bare. (I am just keeping my Beta sand version)...snip...

All spoken for.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #1,720 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gents, you guys have been very fast on filling up the hybrid order. I have 8 hybrid requests and 1 sand request. And more sand takers?
smily_headphones1.gif

Lift the previous builder restriction and I'll take another sand board kit.
tongue.gif

I'll build it for a HF'er wanting the amp, but not the DIY part.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #1,721 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is one of these easier to build than the other?

I would say that they are very close to the same build complexity. The hybrid version replaces a pair of transistors on each amp section with a pair of tubes and sockets and six additional resistors not on the sand board. Same number of heatsinks, but the follower heatink gets smaller.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #1,722 of 2,970
I may be looking for a builder for the hybrid when the next run comes up. if you are available, please PM me some details. I would like to know if I can go this route, or if I will have to covet my board till I have more skill and/or money.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #1,723 of 2,970
Gents, there is one of you interested in a sand amp. The rest the hybrid. Altogether that's 9 amps. I will contact the fab tomorrow to see if we can make just a run of 10 hybrids (splitting the panel). If the cost is reasonable and if the one of you might agree to take a hybrid, then I'll get a best guess on the cost. If none of you object then we'll move this along quickly.

If we go this route then there is only one set of hybrid boards left to be claimed in this next run.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #1,725 of 2,970
been listening to my hybrid for the last few night, sound extremely good. i only have one psu, so can't compare the ss and hybrid side by side. may be the hybrid sound a bit more smoother, sweeter and little bit more spacious?

someone mentioned the o2 clipping on the prototype version, i can't hear it on my beta version. the o2 became so loud before i turn the volume to max,but i can't hear clipping on bass neither on treble.
my only concern is about the heatsinks on q13r/q14r and q13l/q14l. they become so hot after running for half an hour i can't touch them for more then 3 seconds.

about using the neutrik d housing for the amphenol stax jack, it work very well, both the amphenol jack and the stax plug fit like a glove in those neutrik housing. just have to file the d-shape hole of the neutrik housing a bit for the amphenol jack to fit through.

have to say thanks to frank again here for sending me those amphenol jack
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back