eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 22, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #1,741 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One day I didn't look into head-fi, now I'm already too late.
triportsad.gif

So count me in for the third run, if there will be one. In the meantime I will keep on reading all your listening impressions and building experiences.
smile.gif

Chris

Or add your name to the SS boards. Enough people have said that they are similar enough, plus the SS is a little lower cost to build...

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #1,742 of 2,970
because I dont know.. I ask. between the two amps, is there more maintenance for the tube amp? how long does a tube last, and how expensive is it? I agree that easier is better, but I dont want to compromise sound in the least bit.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,743 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I dont want to compromise sound in the least bit.

I think Exstata is about compromise. If you want the absolute best stat amp, go for BH or T2...

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #1,744 of 2,970
I don't think that this is necessarily true. The exstata is specifically designed to be simpler and not to reach the same peak to peak voltages (to make it an easier build), but it is NOT at all certain that these other amps sound better.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,745 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Exstata is about compromise. If you want the absolute best stat amp, go for BH or T2...

those two amps are inaccessible for me. the exstata seems the best compromise that can be had. I should have worded my post differently. its really just another ss vs hb question.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #1,746 of 2,970
Quote:

Folks, let's straighten this out a bit. There is a difference between compromise and intelligent engineering choices. Sometimes you just have to make compromises for any number of reasons. Sometimes you can make engineering choices that don't or barely limit a design at all.

The exstata was specifically designed to be comparatively inexpensive and to be within reach for builders who may not have felt comfortable building the more expensive amps. Its design includes very conscious engineering choices. And, BTW, more expensive does not always mean better.

The engineering choices made in this amp may not "compromise" its behavior at all in the operating region for which it is designed. Furthermore, the amp is very robust against build errors as the proto and beta teams can attest. Furthermore, when built right ti ALWAYS comes up to a functional condition. Furthermore, the boards are specifically designed to be small (you try that with 600V HV between traces) and to surround the HV component leads (as much as possible) with heatsinks so that you can't accidentally reach in and touch anything that will kill you. Those of you who have built the amp can see how this has been done.

This amp and its boards are not something that were just thrown together.

In its operating regime this amp may provide just as much or better SQ as do other amps. We shall see as the comparisons are made. But don't make flip assumptions about this now.

So, before you make comments as above pay more attention.

Edit: I've added the quote above because Keith's and my post hit simultaneously.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #1,747 of 2,970
I wanted to post a brief update, I finally got around to finishing up my Buffalo 24 DAC and have had a couple days to play with it. To my ears it was a substantial improvement over my modded Zero DAC and my Exstata/404 combo sound even better.

I can't say enough how awesome this setup really sounds, I've caught myself looking over my shoulder across the room for what made a noise behind me, only to realize that it was part of the music. Pretty amazing experience really, the definition of big soundstage. The buffalo is also my first balanced source and I've tried running SE and balanced into my Exstata and honestly, I can't hear a difference, both sound excellent.

Also the SS version gets my vote, I don't see how the tube version could beat this, I would guess they are on the same level, just slightly different recipes for the same pie.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #1,748 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, Ok, who turned off the TROLL filter again!

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #1,749 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd like to see some measurements of this amp, but that seems to be so far down on people's list for some strange reason, that I'll have to probably do it myself
frown.gif

As I've stated in the past, I'm not opposed to measuring - if a fairly inexpensive (or loaned hint hint) SG were available to me.

That said - I think measurements are of limited usefulness in the 'audiophile' world. Can you see the difference a $25K power cable makes to an amp on a scope? I doubt it. Yet there are those who claim that they can hear a difference in SQ. But I think that discussion is for another thread.

I am certainly not trying to challenge that distortion was heard with OIIs on the proto design. Many ears are more senstitive than mine - I've just never heard it, or if I have, it's not been any sort of distraction from the overall superior SQ of this amp design.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #1,750 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, Ok, who turned off the TROLL filter again!

So tempting, though, isn't it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #1,751 of 2,970
In my limited experience, the BH wasn't as good an amp for the Koss ESP950 as the eXStatA is. I am only referring to the ESP950 as that's the one I have the most listneing time on in electrostats.
The BH just lacked the bottom end.
With the BH they were just nice sounding phones. Once i had my eXStatA going they truly transformed the ESP950 into a different beast. My full impressions are in the first few pages of this thread.

I still have two eXStatAs to test here. One sand and one hybrid, build no 4 and no 5 respectively. WIll get around to testing them before Chirstmas.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #1,752 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those two amps are inaccessible for me. the exstata seems the best compromise that can be had. I should have worded my post differently. its really just another ss vs hb question.

Keith

The amps were designed to be very similar and eliminate as much influence of particular tube construction variations as possible. The tubes themselves are very inexpensive when you consider you can get a quad for $15 or less. My decision to go SS over Hybrid for my personal amp was only because I wanted it to be as physically robust and easy to transport as possible. My eXstata will have it's own frequent flier number.
beerchug.gif

If I wasn't planning to take it with me around the country on occasion, I probably would have kept the Hybrid, but only because I would window my chassis and watch the tubes glow. It would be a decision based on an aesthetic or "look", not SQ.

The SS can be built for less than the Hybrid too, or you can put that savings into a few select boutique or source upgrades that "might" make it a more enjoyable listening experience for you. A $100 savings on the SS amp really won't be noticed if you flip that $100 into a better phono cartridge improving the source feeding the amp, IMHO.
wink_face.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #1,753 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also the SS version gets my vote, I don't see how the tube version could beat this, I would guess they are on the same level, just slightly different recipes for the same pie.

On paper (er well, in the sims) the hybrid outperforms the sand version. barely.
wink.gif
Perhaps we'll soon have some measurements as well.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #1,754 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I've stated in the past, I'm not opposed to measuring - if a fairly inexpensive (or loaned hint hint) SG were available to me.

Alex has some absolutely beautiful measurements (both simulated and with some very fancy Tek scope) for some of his other designs on his website. Pete Millet and Ti have measurements for nearly every design on their respective websites. I'd like to see something like that. Why? It has absolutely nothing to do with how it sounds, or the worth of the design. For me, measuring a project is like casing it up for some people. It's just part of the process. I'm obviously in the minority on this one, but that's cool
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd go up and Dallas and measure Al's, but I'm not exactly sure if my probes are up for the task. When I measured my other 'stat amps, I had a different scope that I cared a lot less for (i.e. invested a lot less money in)
smily_headphones1.gif
My current probes are 1:1 (150 Vrms CAT 1, 6Mhz, 110pF, 1M) or 10:1 (300 Vrms CAT 2, 200Mhz, 17pF, 10M) and I'm not sure they would do a very good job at measuring this or any stat amp. Any advise Alex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back