eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 17, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #1,651 of 2,970
Ok I'll see what I can do for impressions. My background is primarily a Grado SR80 and JVC RX700 on an M3 straight from my laptop. Same for the eXStata. I'm using Lambda Nova Classics on the SS eXStata with a maxed PS.

First impression was that this setup was astonishingly clear. Almost painfully so on a bad recording/rip. One thing I notice (might be my ears) is that if there's a particularly complicated song, it's hard to pick out individual details on all my other cans. Not so here. I could tell you each instrument being played and focus on just that one. The clarity might end up being a bad decision because it hasn't punished me by being liberal with the volume yet. Cranking it another degree never subtracts from the sound. I don't think I could stand the volume at which this amp distorts nor do I want to find out.

One thing that is gone but I think is just from using electrostatics is resonance. I listen to some ambient electronic music and I hate when a note is obviously overemphasized somehow and it becomes really annoying. Haven't heard that so far.

I wouldn't consider the sound to be particularly bright or harsh though. I get the impression that it might be a bit darker than my Grados. The highs aren't painful when I reach that critical level but they're definitely still there. The Grado's can reach well down into sub bass but the stat's just have so much more. Not more to the point where it sounds like some badly tuned car sub but with a punch that reminds me of a good 8" subwoofer. I heard someone once say on listening to thunder "it doesn't rumble, it cracks." That would be a good way to describe the way this sounds.

Vocals scare me, Frank Sinatra whispering into my ear is a bit disconcerting the first time around. The JVC's are unbelievable on vocals and I didn't think it could get better but this is just soooo much better.

From a new guy to stats talking to those looking into it; go for it. And then beg Alex to make more of these, this is definitely the amp to start with. To those who have been around stats, maybe you can comment on what I'm hearing is the phones or the amp but I am so glad I chose to do this.

Few technical details: Running the amp open air right now, heatsinks never get more than warm to the touch. I think the M3 got hotter. There is little to no noise at all. All I hear is definitely the noise from my laptop. The triads have a little mechanical hum but I cant tell unless i put my ear to them.

Questions? Comments?

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #1,652 of 2,970
Gonna start posting my prior love notes to runeight... maybe that will motivate folks a bit... originally posted elsewhere on Oct 30:

Just listened to Radiohead's 'Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box'. This is a defining experience for this amp. It literally created a total equilibrium imbalance for me there was so much going on - that I have NEVER heard in the 100 listenings of that piece before.

Normally I'd chalk this up to mushrooms, acid flashback, food poisoning or H1N1, but no - on second listen, it is just stunning. The entire 'Amnesiac' disc is just a treat.

When this group gets their build on, Katy bar the door.

Good stuff, Alex.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #1,653 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it me or does the resistor in the lower left hand corner of the board look a little stressed? Could just be the flash but the center of the body looks like it's been overheated.

Boy, how dare I dispute that? You were/are, of course right. r24 now has charcoal bands, with no color at all. I *think* I used 68k 3w resistors. r23 looks fine.

r12 is exactly 150v, and the replaced resistor is holding fine, no smoke, with about 20 minutes of cook time.

Fairly stable on both channels, with a few mv drift on the "bad" channel.

LED works fine, but is that resistor burning because I (perhaps) have the LED backwards (long lead to +)?

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #1,654 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From a new guy to stats talking to those looking into it; go for it. And then beg Alex to make more of these, this is definitely the amp to start with. To those who have been around stats, maybe you can comment on what I'm hearing is the phones or the amp but I am so glad I chose to do this.

Interesting because I had a similar experience when I first started into stats a few years ago with my 303 + 313 amp combo. They came one day as I was about to go out but I was so curious I just had to plug them in. The only nearby source was a PS2. I started up a game and the PS2 logo sound came up. I was thinking I connected the stax up wrong because I was SURE the sound came from the TV. But it was from the phones. First thing that came to me was the soundstage and the clarity. Everything was also nice and crisp and open. I thought bass was lacking at first but then I found it was there but just really well controlled and defined. Voices were smooth but maybe a bit harsh sometimes with females. I'd say it was a very similar experience to what you had. So with that in mind I would maybe attribute a good chunk of the SQ gains you got to the stats.
But reading other posters' comments, it seems that the exStata is actually a very nice amp
tongue_smile.gif
. This has me really interested because I would like a (cheap) upgrade from my 313. So, has anyone familiar with stats got any views on the exStata? I'm pretty sure its better than my 313 but I'd still like to read some opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, YES to more boards! Pleeeaaasssseee!!
atsmile.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #1,655 of 2,970
You know, the value for R23/R24 was calculated for the nominal filter voltage of around 325-330V. If you have much higher than that then these resistors will get quite a bit hotter than I had expected.

The original calculation was:

330V / 75k = 4.4mA

330V * 4.4mA = 1.5W

3W is cutting it close, but should be ok.

However, if the filter voltage is higher because of the transformer and the resistor value is lower then we might get this:

350V / 68k = 5.2mA

350V * 5.2mA = 1.8W

The difference between 1.5W and 1.8W is not that great, but generally it's good to stay below half the power rating and even less under most circumstances.

In this latter case it would be better to find small 5W resistors and to squeeze them in.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #1,656 of 2,970
I have 5w 50k in that size, but will look to see what I can find in 75k. I even have plenty of room to go offboard (hang over the side) as needed.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #1,657 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumo-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So with that in mind I would maybe attribute a good chunk of the SQ gains you got to the stats.

Hmm you're most likely right.

If anyone's in Massachusetts with a different 'stat rig that wants to compare, I'm sure we can find a way. Let me know please.

Edit: I should probably case it up before that but still let me know.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #1,658 of 2,970
From the Stax thread....

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been comparing the eXStata with the SRD7mk2 tonight. Whether is Jack Johnson or Bach's chorales, there is a definite difference in the level of detail, bass and overall sound richness. I will keep the transformer box as a back up, but for day to day listening the eXStata wins hands down. Bach's organ works resonate with a deep rumbling bass which reminds me of a live organ performance. (My local church has a beautiful Casavant organ I listen to every weekend). Vocal solos are sweet and realistic.
Couldn't be happier with the sound....for the time being...
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/s...ml#post6241475

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #1,659 of 2,970
A quick update. Still waiting on my stats to arrive. I've been told two more weeks (via Yama). It's killing me to have this amp sitting here and no way to listen. As a matter of fact, I am almost thinking about getting some ESP 950's because my faith in a delivery from Japan is waning...
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #1,660 of 2,970
TimJo,

if you had let me know, I would've loaned you a pair. I know I've promised people here listening opportunities, and I know Larry and Sherwood are waiting patiently for their Beta amps.

I've had some unexpected work duties, and since it's bonus time., they're taking up a bit more of my time. But I have a week and a half off starting next Tuesday, so I'll knock these out and we can get some more impressions.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #1,661 of 2,970
Quote:

If anyone's in Massachusetts with a different 'stat rig that wants to compare, I'm sure we can find a way. Let me know please.

Edit: I should probably case it up before that but still let me know.

That said, after you have some more experience listening to various stats, you'll realize this amp is special. We're blessed here in Colorado with generous Head-Fi'ers who own an abundance of high end stats and amps, and audio shows with both.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #1,662 of 2,970
Quote:

I think we can make that happen.
smile.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #1,663 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, the value for R23/R24 was calculated for the nominal filter voltage of around 325-330V. If you have much higher than that then these resistors will get quite a bit hotter than I had expected.

The original calculation was:

330V / 75k = 4.4mA

330V * 4.4mA = 1.5W

3W is cutting it close, but should be ok.

However, if the filter voltage is higher because of the transformer and the resistor value is lower then we might get this:

350V / 68k = 5.2mA

350V * 5.2mA = 1.8W

The difference between 1.5W and 1.8W is not that great, but generally it's good to stay below half the power rating and even less under most circumstances.

In this latter case it would be better to find small 5W resistors and to squeeze them in.

I've changed to 480VCT transformers from the original 500VCT and I was planning to keep the 291V Zener string, but should I bump R23/R24 from the 75K to 80K?

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #1,664 of 2,970
With 480V I think you can use the 75k/3W. You can move to 82k, but then your LED current will decrease to 330V / 82k = 4mA. Probably still bright enough for you to see.

Power will be around 1.3W.

I have run my sand amp for hours and hours (testing offsets) with a 270AX with no ill effects on these resistors.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #1,665 of 2,970
Looking at the Hybrid boards and the heater wiring, is there any reason why I couldn't wire the 4 heaters in series to run them at 12.6Vdc?

I have dual 6.3V secondaries of my power transformer and nice little regulated DC PSU board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back