eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #1,636 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it seems that that resistor is too big to fit. Perhaps using a properly sized resistor would help prevent this, as I agree, it seems that the damage was done before power-up.

Nope, the exact correct size resistor (RN55), but remember it looked a little funky before I even bent the leads. Question is, was that my last one, and ignored the visual oddity because of?

That said, I have never actually broken a resistor (but have burned up a few), and shy away from PRP as they are (allegedly) a bit more brittle.

Always freaking something.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #1,638 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I have never actually broken a resistor (but have burned up a few), and shy away from PRP as they are (allegedly) a bit more brittle.

I have had one, just one, RN55 do that exact same thing. It 'cracked' as I was bending the leads with pliers prior to installing it in the board.

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #1,639 of 2,970
Quote:

Nope, the exact correct size resistor (RN55), but remember it looked a little funky before I even bent the leads.

Comparing it to the one next to it - that's a tight bend or there is something funky with it. good catch, easily fixed, and no catasrophic fail.

FWIW, I hand bent all the RN55s on my boards and they were perfect fits. I did have a few problems with those larger tan resistors, they're pretty soft casings...

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #1,641 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had one, just one, RN55 do that exact same thing. It 'cracked' as I was bending the leads with pliers prior to installing it in the board.

Quote:

Nope, the exact correct size resistor (RN55), but remember it looked a little funky before I even bent the leads. Question is, was that my last one, and ignored the visual oddity because of?

Always freaking something.

With these boards having the pitch exactly the right size for the resistor body I find that it's much better practice to bend the leads by hand. Just squeeze the leads one at a time and you should get a good fit. Using pliers that close to the resistor body is a recipe for a cracked casing which is what it appears happened in that picture. I've had it happen and usually it's while abusing a resistor that I'm trying to remove so I don't care. But really, the RN55s aren't hard to break if you apply much force or any sort of sharp edge.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #1,642 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Al's SS prototype sounds wonderful with my Sigma Pros. There is plenty of volume . I can't listen if I turn the know all the way up. I have to remove the SP's from my ears. There is zero distortion at max volume.
It sounds energetic with lots of bass and plenty of detail.
Kudos to Alex, Al and Nick.

beerchug.gif
Let's not forget, thanks Frank!
biggrin.gif

Alex, on the resistor topic, would you consider making the hole spacing just a hair wider for some of these resistors on whatever next revision of board makes it? A lot of them have to be bent very sharply in order to fit.

Al, your layout looks very nice. With any luck you will be up and running soon too.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #1,643 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With these boards having the pitch exactly the right size for the resistor body

Again, IMHO and all that, but that's too small. Despite the potential mechanical issues, I like to have to have room for grabber probes and what not..

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #1,644 of 2,970
Then why not use the 1/4W Vishay CMF50 series... Nearly identical to the RN55s, but smaller.

Or if you must populate with TOTL or OTT, the Caddocks will fit nicely too.
tongue.gif

EDIT: BAH! The CMF50 is only 200V rated.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #1,645 of 2,970
Oh, most certainly mine should not be the only one about to come up... after all this is my 4th one, even if the first was stillborn.

Funniest thing - I have NEVER bent a single resistor, ever, with pliers or other metal tool - always by hand, and mostly against the inside of my thumb, and sometimes against the fingernail JUST to make sure I never crack the resistor. As I say, first one I've ever even seen damaged. Now maybe rolled the desk chair over it or the dog chewed it - or somesuch.

Indeed, much thanks to Frank - who might need a couple of proto boards, along with, say, some mercury vapor rectifiers? :wink:

Speaking of, c'mon slackers - Alex deserves quite a bit more (positive) feedback than has been given to date. We have been gifted far better a design than we deserve, and have naught to say?

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #1,646 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then why not use the 1/4W Vishay CMF50 series... Nearly identical to the RN55s, but smaller.

That's what I was thinking, and they're a perty blue to boot.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #1,647 of 2,970
Quote:

Speaking of, c'mon slackers - Alex deserves quite a bit more (positive) feedback than has been given to date. We have been gifted far better a design than we deserve, and have naught to say?

I can deal with being a slacker. My parts are slowly trickling in... I will start building as soon as everything is here. marc's jacks showed up yesterday, your transistors a few days before that, digger's wire arrived today. Digi-Key order goes in tonight...

Percy Audio order on Friday...

I'm more of a tortoise than a slacker. Always moving forward, just slowly sometimes.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #1,649 of 2,970
Quote:

Only got my boards today, and I won't get my transformer until after Christmas, but I'm trying!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back