eXStatA Build Thread II
Jul 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #106 of 588
Appreciate your EDIT, BoilermakerFan.  Right now I have a rubber grommet that I cut in half and placed on both sides of the base of the transformer.  Screw/washer  above the top grommet half and spacer below the bottom grommet half.  Should I leave them when I reconnect transformer with metal hardware or should they go?  (I put them there to absorb vibration....)

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #107 of 588

Quote:
Appreciate your EDIT, BoilermakerFan.  Right now I have a rubber grommet that I cut in half and placed on both sides of the base of the transformer.  Screw/washer  above the top grommet half and spacer below the bottom grommet half.  Should I leave them when I reconnect transformer with metal hardware or should they go?  (I put them there to absorb vibration....)

The grommet should be fine. since you will have metal to metal contact from the top through to the washer and nut below.  It's not required, but I like the extra protection when using a metal cased or uncased transformer.  their failure rate is low, but transformers can short out, especially if a large surge or spike came through the power line. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #108 of 588
Made the changes.  The tubes are working and all of the offsets are very close to 0 (0.25 to 0.65).  Now waiting for amp to stabilize.  Will take readings again in half hour.  Again, many thanks to you all!

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #109 of 588
Check your rails again too to make sure that they are still at 300V.

If the rails are good and the offset/balance are good, I guess you can plug in headphones.
basshead.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #111 of 588
About the hybrid boards heatsinks not grounded, I do see traces connecting one side of the heatsink mounting pins that leads to the SG terminal on the hybrid boards. This means we don't have to wire the heatsinks to ground manually, right? Or are we suppose to ground the heatsinks for q13 and q14 as well?

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #112 of 588
You know, you're right. It appears that I did put them on the hybrid boards and I didn't even look at the boards before sending them out.
redface.gif

You don't need to ground the heatsinks for Q13/Q14 IIRC, Others may remember differently with their hybrid builds. I say don't make these ground connections and see if it all works.

But, remember to solder the heatsink pins to the pads for the grounded heatsinks to ensure that they are grounded.

How's your input wiring going?

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #113 of 588
Hi, trying to find and commission an experienced DIY builder to build a SS exstata for me.  I have procure the boards (plus some parts) second hand.  I will compensate.  Relaxed about timing, even if it takes a year.  Please let me know, or if you could guide me to someone.

(mods, please remove if it's inappropriate to post something like this here) 

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #114 of 588
hi folks,

after missing out on the 1st and 2nd round of the board purchases, i was fortunate enough to get
2 responses to my request for an unneeded hybrid set of boards (i took a 2nd purchase since it also offered
a full BOM which saves me a lot of time ordering).

now i have a "hybrid" board set to pass on, at my cost (heck, i'll pay the $1.25 shipping, i'm so happy to have
boards to build an eXStatA) to the first responder.

i'll be out playing tennis so i won't be responding until tonight, but i'll go with the first request to message me.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #115 of 588
I think there was another member or two who wanted hybrid boards in the board GB thread...

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #116 of 588
thanks, i'll post the offer there as well

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #117 of 588
boards taken

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #118 of 588
Well, gents, it’s the end of the hybrid build road for me and the beginning of a journey into a phenomenal listening experience.  (I can already tell:  I  pulled some Miles and Keith Jarrett trio CDs off the shelf and they never sounded better!)

Thanks to all of you who responded to my posts and so helped me get this done.  Special thanks go to TimJo, who via a bunch of emails on Saturday, came up with the clearest and most comprehensive guide imaginable for how to wire the inputs.

Photos and impressions will follow after listening for a while.  (Should I post them here or on the new builds thread?)

Finally, thanks Alex very much for your generosity.   Your eXStatA is truly a gift that I will enjoy for a long, long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back