eXStatA Build Thread II
Aug 2, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #121 of 588
Ok, I have heard from 5 Oz (and PacRim) folks regarding connectors -

Wink - 3
Noeb - 2
Chinsettawong - 2
Chaotic Angel - 2
Rolotube - 1

I am sending 15 to Rolotube, and all can ping him with how to get them from there (well, if Tony is still up for it). I was afraid there wouldn't be enough to go around, but it looks ok so far. I'll box them tonight, but will have to see when I can post (certainly in the next couple of days). Customs forms... ugh.

Now we have another member, what is everyone else waiting for?

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #122 of 588

Quote:
Well, gents, it’s the end of the hybrid build road for me and the beginning of a journey into a phenomenal listening experience.  (I can already tell:  I  pulled some Miles and Keith Jarrett trio CDs off the shelf and they never sounded better!)

Thanks to all of you who responded to my posts and so helped me get this done.  Special thanks go to TimJo, who via a bunch of emails on Saturday, came up with the clearest and most comprehensive guide imaginable for how to wire the inputs.

Photos and impressions will follow after listening for a while.  (Should I post them here or on the new builds thread?)

Finally, thanks Alex very much for your generosity.   Your eXStatA is truly a gift that I will enjoy for a long, long time.

Congratulations - hope the revelations keep on coming.

There is an impressions thread that is woefully underutilized - and I think we all owe AC feedback, good and not. There are no perfect designs, only choosing the tradeoffs most important to you.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/462138/first-impressions-exstata-diy-electrostatic-amp

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #124 of 588

Quote:

Wink - 3
Noeb - 2
Chinsettawong - 2
Chaotic Angel - 2
Rolotube - 1

I am sending 15 to Rolotube, and all can ping him with how to get them from there (well, if Tony is still up for it). I was afraid there wouldn't be enough to go around, but it looks ok so far. I'll box them tonight, but will have to see when I can post (certainly in the next couple of days). Customs forms... ugh.

Thank you, Al.  I'm looking forward to receiving them soon.  I'll ping Rolotube.  :)

As for the build, I'm still waiting for some transistors.  I'm having a difficult time finding the high voltage PNP tr around here.

Wachara C. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #125 of 588
The tubes from Al has safely arrived. Thanks! I would love to trade one of my RCA disc-getter tube with somebody else's RCA d-getter tube though, I just need one more and I will get 4 d-getter tubes!

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #126 of 588

Quote:
...Special thanks go to TimJo, who via a bunch of emails on Saturday, came up with the clearest and most comprehensive guide imaginable for how to wire the inputs.

Photos and impressions will follow after listening for a while.  (Should I post them here or on the new builds thread?)...

Might be useful [assuming TimJo doesn't mind] if you posted some of that Clear and comprehensive guidance here in this forum for reference.

There is a first impressions thread in existence  started by Pabbi1 if I remember correctly

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #128 of 588

Quote:

Wink - 3
Noeb - 2
Chinsettawong - 2
Chaotic Angel - 2
Rolotube - 1

If it's not too late I'd also like some stax connectors. Just stick a few more in Wink's package and they'll get to me. Thanks!
smile.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #130 of 588
I remember all of them has been sent out... I'm hoping that at least one other person who got the RCAs from pabbi would have a D-getter tube that they are willing to trade. :)

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #131 of 588
Gentlemen, in the last week several of you have emailed me about failure conditions if one tube goes out in the hybrid. Most of you were concerned about the PS.

In this situation, there isn't any risk to the PS because the current demand from the tubeless channel is not much lower than a working channel and the additional heat in the PS will not be severe nor damage it.

However, these questions forced me to look at the hybrid amp again just to explore this failure condition more.

Most of you would probably power down quickly if one side of the amp went out, but if the amp is left on with one (or both) tubes not lit then resistors R31 to R34 will exceed their power dissipation. If you want to be safe against losing these resistors, if you don't turn the amp off right away or it is left unattended, the easy fix is to use 1/2W resistors instead of 1/8W.

You can use 71-CCF55-75K or 273-75K-RC. They are longer than the RN55D but they should still fit if you tilt them at an angle.

There are quite a few hybrids out there in service and no one has reported this problem yet, but it will surface when tubes start to die during operation.

I'd like to have caught this a while ago gents, but just didn't see this corner case.

Thanks to everyone who asked the question.

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #132 of 588

Quote:
Gentlemen, in the last week several of you have emailed me about failure conditions if one tube goes out in the hybrid. Most of you were concerned about the PS.

In this situation, there isn't any risk to the PS because the current demand from the tubeless channel is not much lower than a working channel and the additional heat in the PS will not be severe nor damage it.

However, these questions forced me to look at the hybrid amp again just to explore this failure condition more.

Most of you would probably power down quickly if one side of the amp went out, but if the amp is left on with one (or both) tubes not lit then resistors R31 to R34 will exceed their power dissipation. If you want to be safe against losing these resistors, if you don't turn the amp off right away or it is left unattended, the easy fix is to use 1/2W resistors instead of 1/8W.

You can use 71-CCF55-75K or 273-75K-RC. They are longer than the RN55D but they should still fit if you tilt them at an angle.

There are quite a few hybrids out there in service and no one has reported this problem yet, but it will surface when tubes start to die during operation.

I'd like to have caught this a while ago gents, but just didn't see this corner case.

Thanks to everyone who asked the question.

Hi Alex,
   Any possibility of changing this in the BOM online?

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #133 of 588
Well, I am completely out of anything other than (NFS) Tung Sol, so I'm no help there. You might ping one of the eBay sellers, though shipping for a single tube is always excessive. You might also ping one of the internet sellers (http://www.vacuumtubes.net/ comes to mind, or www.Tubedepot.com ), This looks like a good candidate

Pity I am chasing different glass at the moment, so doubtful I buy any more 6s4a tubes.

On a far happier topic, a box with 15 Stax connectors left Dallas today heading for Oz. I *think* 13 are spoken for, with Jin getting 2 (or 3), so:

Wink - 3
Noeb - 2
Chinsettawong - 2
Chaotic Angel - 2
Rolotube - 2
Jinh - 2 (unless you are doing two builds, then 3)

So, there are one or two left unclaimed, and I will leave it solely at Tony's discretion as to how they get distributed, SO, everyone ping Rolotube to arrange postage out to you, as he should see the box this time next week.

Should be some building frenzy about now, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back