Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock, Post-Punk, Progressive Rock, Alternative Rock, Shoegaze, Grunge, Brit-pop, Dream Pop, Indie Rock, Madchester, Ethereal Wave, etc.) Appreciation Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #227 of 468
Wolfgang Riechmann Wunderbar Sky records superb lesser known Krautrock album from 1978 

I'd wager Wolfgang's blue hair,blue lipstick & white pancake makeup likely influenced Gary Numan's similar Berserker look six years later. unfortunately this was Wolfgang's one and only solo, as "two weeks before the album was due to be released, he was murdered by a lone, knife-wielding nutter in a bar" - http://endofcivilisation.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-glorious-tragedy-of-wolfgang.html

to wit Numan on TOTP performing Berserker circa 1984

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #228 of 468
  Wolfgang Riechmann Wunderbar Sky records superb lesser known Krautrock album from 1978 

I'd wager Wolfgang's blue hair,blue lipstick & white pancake makeup likely influenced Gary Numan's similar Berserker look six years later. unfortunately this was Wolfgang's one and only solo, as "two weeks before the album was due to be released, he was murdered by a lone, knife-wielding nutter in a bar" - http://endofcivilisation.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-glorious-tragedy-of-wolfgang.html

That's really sad. Nice chilled track there.

Staying with the krautrock theme, though with a contemporary, guitar-led band. Chile's Föllakzoid have been on the scene for a few years now. This is their first album from 2009.

Föllakzoid by Föllakzoid

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #233 of 468

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #234 of 468
A unique voice - the word 'haunting' is overused, but in Nico's case I think it's apt. The Marble Index is a very unusual record.

@Hutnicks put me onto this next one - Danielle Dax - I must confess I'd never heard of her before. I don't think she's in the same league as Kate Bush, say, but interesting sound nonetheless:

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #237 of 468
Shock Headed Peters is probably the most immediate connection, as Karl Blake was a founding member of both, placing them more in the punk scene by that measure.
But sound wise I guess they do have some of that industrial/experimental flavour.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #238 of 468
...I don't think she's in the same league as Kate Bush...

Speaking of someone who reminded me a little of Kate Bush - Becky Jones - Saint Saviour

Hwever, a couple of years later, it sounds like she got fed up with the Kate Bush tag and this is more typical of her music now (well recorded this one though)

Maybe a bit lightweight for this thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back