Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock, Post-Punk, Progressive Rock, Alternative Rock, Shoegaze, Grunge, Brit-pop, Dream Pop, Indie Rock, Madchester, Ethereal Wave, etc.) Appreciation Thread
Jan 31, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #215 of 468
I've been a fan of Ben Chasny and Six Organs Of Admittance. Only disappointment is only having caught his acoustic show live (though it was great) and not the electric set. Ben's a real nice guy.

Bless Your Blood

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #218 of 468
  Can't resist dropping one more in here for your delight before I go. Sublime kraut rock from Japan. This will get your head nodding, foot tapping, etc. Groovy.

Minami Deutsch by Minami Deutsch

Takk,

If only there was a link:

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #222 of 468
Polyrock were an avant garde minimalist post punk/new wave band from NYC circa 1980/1981 produced by Philip Glass
cynical lyrical romanticism juxtaposed by fun and spontaneous frenetic energy. somewhere between early Wire and Talking Heads perhaps..

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #223 of 468
Maybe not the right thread for this, but here it is anyway, since even rock fans should love this. There are some shorter tunes, some chilled pieces (Crow Hill Jig) and some downright EPIC tracks like the slowburn starter Bholcán and the title track. Have a listen and see what you think. Hugely disappointing (to me) that John isn't an international star. Also nearly five years since he released this. I saw him play live once. One man, with two tables festooned in effects pedals, samplers, etc and a violin. Unbelieveably good.

Frog and the Volcano! by Frog Pocket

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #224 of 468
  Maybe not the right thread for this, but here it is anyway, since even rock fans should love this. There are some shorter tunes, some chilled pieces (Crow Hill Jig) and some downright EPIC tracks like the slowburn starter Bholcán and the title track. Have a listen and see what you think. Hugely disappointing (to me) that John isn't an international star. Also nearly five years since he released this. I saw him play live once. One man, with two tables festooned in effects pedals, samplers, etc and a violin. Unbelieveably good.

Frog and the Volcano! by Frog Pocket

Frog Pocket's music is definitely tough to categorize. I particularly enjoyed his releases on Planet Mu and Benbecula between 2003-2007
though pretty much everything he does really is great.

and as far as feeling at a loss for why certain artist's and bands music grabs the public's attention while many others far more talented and deserving of celebrity remain virtually unknown I share your sentiment and frustration .i stopped counting years ago the vast amount of incredibly gifted musicians,film makers,writers,artists etc who fly under the radar despite their phenomenal heartfelt and genuine contributions to the arts,it can be disheartening to say the least.which is why i'm glad to see forums like this one on Head-Fi.

a lot of artists who are considered pioneers now never knew success in their own lifetimes.from Vincent Van Gogh to Franz Kafka to Paul Gauguin to J.S. Bach (to name just a few) sometimes it just takes longer for society to appreciate those who are ahead of the curve.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #225 of 468
Great to see someone else who knows Frog Pocket. I have most of his releases, though some of the really early ones are just cd-r copies from a friend. His earlier work is  often more minimalist and is glitchy the correct term? I don't know. Some great work in there.

sometimes it just takes longer for society to appreciate those who are ahead of the curve.

For sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back