Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock, Post-Punk, Progressive Rock, Alternative Rock, Shoegaze, Grunge, Brit-pop, Dream Pop, Indie Rock, Madchester, Ethereal Wave, etc.) Appreciation Thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #181 of 468
I saw the title "Experimental" and thought this was a thread for einstürzende neubauten :)

I'll give you some psychedelic rock. Dead Meadow, DC's finest. Listen to Jason's guitar tone. I love it.
This tune "This Song Is Over" is from their most recent outing, Warble Womb, though they are in the studio at the moment. Warlbe Womb is stuffed with great tunes.

...and going back to their early days, Sleepy Silver Door is pretty much their signature song. Album version is over 7 minutes, but live, this jams out to 12 minutes or more.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #184 of 468

Aye. Hoping the guys will get the new album out there and tour it, though with Barry being a new dad'n'all...

I was just listening to Mogwai in the other room coincidentally - Come On Die Young - their early stuff's the best I reckon, CODY, Young Team, Ten Rapid all the way. Here's a bit more of the old post rock, via Japan:

Mono - Under the Pipal Tree

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #185 of 468
  I saw the title "Experimental" and thought this was a thread for einstürzende neubauten :)

The thread title has been the subject of some debate 
wink_face.gif
 I would drop the 'Experimental' personally - bit misleading. Not that a bit of Einstürzende Neubauten would go amiss...

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #186 of 468

I was just listening to Mogwai in the other room coincidentally - Come On Die Young - their early stuff's the best I reckon, CODY, Young Team, Ten Rapid all the way.

I tend to agree, but I thought that Hardcore Wll Never Die, But You Will was a pretty strong album.

Mono are an excellent band. Caught them live a few times (though not recently) and it's always a powerful performance. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Post rock as a genre. There is stuff threre that I consider to be amongst my favourite music (Mogwai and Mono to name but two), but there are bands that just don't do anything for me at all - Explosions In The Sky and This Will Destroy You being two bands that fall into the other category. Good enough bands, but just not for me.

BTW - how do you embed bandcamp albums into this thread? I tried the links, but they don't seem to work in preview.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #188 of 468

BTW - how do you embed bandcamp albums into this thread? I tried the links, but they don't seem to work in preview.

I'll try my best to explain 
normal_smile .gif

Go to your chosen bandcamp page, e.g. https://austramusic.bandcamp.com/album/future-politics, click on the Share / Embed link and the following drop-down appears:

Click on Embed this album and you will get a choose a style pop-up. Choose one of the three styles, for example, the big picture style:

Copy the link in the Embed box in the top right, then in the Head-Fi editor, click on the 'Source' button. Paste the copied text into the editor, then click on 'Source' again, and you should see your embedded player. Submit! You can tweak your player with options such as the colour of the player itself (Theme) and the text (Links). You can also check the 'Show tracklist' box to display all songs from the album. If you click on a particular song in Bandcamp, then click Share/Embed, your player will default to playing that song when embedded.

Hope this helps!

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #190 of 468

Well, not a lot. I would argue Scott Walker, particularly his last 3 albums, could be seen as experimental.

Right enough.

Speaking of experimental, I quite like this one. (local guys)

Fades by Test Cards

Copy the link in the Embed box in the top right, then in the Head-Fi editor, click on the 'Source' button. Paste the copied text into the editor, then click on 'Source' again, and you should see your embedded player. Submit! You can tweak your player with options such as the colour of the player itself (Theme) and the text (Links). You can also check the 'Show tracklist' box to display all songs from the album. If you click on a particular song in Bandcamp, then click Share/Embed, your player will default to playing that song when embedded.

Hope this helps!

Ahhh! I had to click on"More" to find the source button then Alles Klar. Cheers.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #191 of 468
I think anyone with an interest in psych rock or space rock really needs to get a listen to The Cosmic Dead. Drving space rock with a dab of krautrock and whole load of Buckfast. As the bandcamp blurb has it, The Cosmic Dead are a psychonautal cosmodelic buckfaustian quartet from Glasgow. Rainbowhead is their latest outing, though there should be another one coming out soon, since they had a ton of stuff recorded at the same time as this one.

Rainbowhead by The Cosmic Dead

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #192 of 468
in the spirit of sharing some truly experimental music here (this isn't even scratching the surface,but it's a start)
and for the record,would love to see some Neubaten shared here,or Nurse With Wound,Irr App (Ext.) etc.and will share some in due time
but wanted first to touch on some of the oldskool innovators of experimental like Stockhausen,Cage,Derbyshire,BBC Radiophonic Workshop,Steve Reich,Raymond Scott etc

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #193 of 468
Thoroughly enjoyed the Stockhausen piece. I sometimes catch artists live, who have been influenced by music like this. It's great not knowing what is coming next. I haven't seen that documentary, so will sit down a give it a proper watch later.

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #194 of 468
@xylin6 I've come across Electronic Movements before - extraordinary stuff really. It's gotta be about the earliest recorded electronic music; I'm certainly not aware of any earlier. There were other pioneers like Morton Subotnick, but he was recording about a decade later.

Talking of experimental stuff, here's something from one of my favourite collaborative albums, Zero Set (also appeared on Begegnungen), featuring the legendary Dieter Moebius. 1983, and way ahead of the curve IMO:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back