Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock, Post-Punk, Progressive Rock, Alternative Rock, Shoegaze, Grunge, Brit-pop, Dream Pop, Indie Rock, Madchester, Ethereal Wave, etc.) Appreciation Thread
Jan 11, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #151 of 468
Ooooh The Church. Great example of Neo-Psychadelia goodness.

It's another Radiohead moment 
biggrin.gif
 Everyone loves The Church except me. By the way, what is 'Expiremental Rock'? The kind of stuff you listen to as your mind is collapsing?

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #152 of 468
I apogize for the lack of attention ive showed this thread lately. But what in ear monitor sound signature do you guys prefer for this type of music?

this stuff calls out for an expansive-sounding, bass-oriented (v-shaped?) iem with good isolation, as opposed to a more neutral, balanced signature or intimate presentation. i recently got a fidue a73 which i really like for radiohead and their ilk, but there's literally thousands of choices....
as a somewhat unrelated aside (who needs segues?), i encourage everyone to listen obsessively to the first three discs by the comsat angels (fiction, sleep no more, miracle), which are genuinely on a par with joy division and classic cure.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #153 of 468

as a somewhat unrelated aside (who needs segues?), i encourage everyone to listen obsessively to the first three discs by the comsat angels (fiction, sleep no more, miracle), which are genuinely on a par with joy division and classic cure.

+1 on Comsat Angels. Great band. I wouldn't quite put them on a par with Joy Division and The Cure personally, but they definitely deserve more exposure. You should post some vids!

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #154 of 468
It's another Radiohead moment :D  Everyone loves The Church except me. By the way, what is 'Expiremental Rock'? The kind of stuff you listen to as your mind is collapsing?

Good question. Its not tied to a specific scene or time such as Grunge or Madchester. More correctly, it describes bands that create songs that dont conform to the status quo. Whether it be instrumentation or thematic elements. A great example would be the velvet underground and Radiohead. Also, krautrock is a great example of expiremental rock. It can be from any decade.

Let me give you an example. In the nineties after the shoegaze phenomenon, grunge and britpop rose to prominence. These were the two big rock events people know. However, in 1997(the year i was born! :smiley:) Radiohead came out with OK Computer. This is an excellent example of expiremental rock as it is completely different from Grunge and Britpop. It was very innovative and like nothing else out there. In my opinion at least. It didnt have the hardcore punk and slight metal influences that Grunge had or the catchiness and the sense of British pride that Britpop bands had.

Hope that helps!

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #155 of 468
i'm something of a luddite, but i'll definitely try to figure out how to post vids...
as for the comsats, what really strikes me is how well-crafted the songs are--unlike most in this genre, they have real lyrical content, with all sorts of clever turns-of-phrase. also almost no synths or keyboards, which is always a plus.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #156 of 468
this stuff calls out for an expansive-sounding, bass-oriented (v-shaped?) iem with good isolation, as opposed to a more neutral, balanced signature or intimate presentation. i recently got a fidue a73 which i really like for radiohead and their ilk, but there's literally thousands of choices....

I always adore listening to rock music with the er-4s myself. The way it renders instruments and especially guitars makes the music feel so raw. Especially with distorted guitars.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #157 of 468
Good question. Its not tied to a specific scene or time such as Grunge or Madchester. More correctly, it describes bands that create songs that dont conform to the status quo. Whether it be instrumentation or thematic elements. A great example would be the velvet underground and Radiohead. Also, krautrock is a great example of expiremental rock. It can be from any decade.

Let me give you an example. In the nineties after the shoegaze phenomenon, grunge and britpop rose to prominence. These were the two big rock events people know. However, in 1997(the year i was born! :smiley:) Radiohead came out with OK Computer. This is an excellent example of expiremental rock as it is completely different from Grunge and Britpop. It was very innovative and like nothing else out there. In my opinion at least. It didnt have the hardcore punk and slight metal influences that Grunge had or the catchiness and the sense of British pride that Britpop bands had.

Hope that helps!

Dude. I was referring to the misspelling of 'experimental' - it's experimental, not expiremental. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #161 of 468
I unabashedly love this album, despite the fact Mac referred to this incarnation of The Bunnymen as 'Echo and the Bogusmen'
rolleyes.gif

personally i like it better than anything The Bunnymen have done since Ian returned to the fold (Evergreen,Flowers,Siberia etc).
and in some ways  find I even prefer it to the eponymous grey album.

for me nothing in their catalogue tops the first four Bunnymen albums (Crocodiles,Heaven Up Here,Porcupine & Ocean Rain)
and i feel Noel Burke did a great job on vocals here which is no mean feat giving the shadow he was stepping into ,i've always wondered though
what these songs would have sounded like if Ian sang them (as most of them were written before he left).

in retrospect i feel the real Bunnymen died with Pete,
and though 'Reverberation' is not a Bunnymen album proper it remains a favorite

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #162 of 468
Haha it doesn't i know. I just wish there was a word that would describe the 50% of rock music I'm trying to state. From my description it would be called "Alternative Rock". Not from the late 80s to modern era music phenomenon but the literal and technical sense of the word "Alternative".

I understand your frustration.
It's something of the same with progressive rock. When you use that term most people immediately think about a certain breed of angular/quaint 70s rock. But what if you mean rock that is literally progressive, as in bringing the genre forward?

Any ways, here's some kind of new-wavey californian experimental rock. Hope it fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back