Expensive IEMs and Traveling...
Sep 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 24
I guess the key is to just "keep them on you" at all times. I'd have to be careful too, just because I tend to yank cords too much... 
rolleyes.gif

Asking if people take expensive IEMs traveling is actually a stupid question. Why else would you buy IEMs for? Strictly desktop listening?
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 24
Had the same apprehension before I got my IE8! But the less self-conscious you become, the less conspicuous you (and your gear) will be.
I think most folks don't even recognise or realise the value of IEMs, so theft may be less of a concern than you think.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
Had the same apprehension before I got my IE8! But the less self-conscious you become, the less conspicuous you (and your gear) will be.
I think most folks don't even recognise or realise the value of IEMs, so theft may be less of a concern than you think.

So true, though there are always exceptions. *cough* miles davis *cough* 
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Just ordered the Westone 4.

Enjoy!

And just to reinforce your decision: The W4's come with a perfectly sized protective case. By perfectly sized I mean when I put them in my jean pocket they don't awkwardly bulge out, and I'm a pretty skinny guy.

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #21 of 24
With this Pelican 1010 case ( Smaller version of the case Westone already supplies ), the only thing I have to worry about when my ES5's are in them when I'm outside is simply misplacing the case. The case is **** near indestructable.

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:
So true, though there are always exceptions. *cough* miles davis *cough* 
wink.gif

Yeah, especially if you are referring to the trumpet edition...

Quote:
Enjoy!

And just to reinforce your decision: The W4's come with a perfectly sized protective case. By perfectly sized I mean when I put them in my jean pocket they don't awkwardly bulge out, and I'm a pretty skinny guy.

Thanks. Didn't know about the case. That'll sure be handy.

Quote:
With this Pelican 1010 case ( Smaller version of the case Westone already supplies ), the only thing I have to worry about when my ES5's are in them when I'm outside is simply misplacing the case. The case is **** near indestructable.

Ah, so you say it's even smaller than the Westone one? Bet it's more indestructible too. Although, I'm sure the supplied case will be fine enough.

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #23 of 24
I've so far used only cheaper buds when I'm out and about, but planning to get either an E-Q7 (but no removable cable!) or IE8; here's my take on the matter:

1) Spare some $50 or so on cheaper IEMs for public transport - meaning the riskier ones like buses and trains around town. You have a much higher chance of being mugged in a 30min ride through downtown (either on the bus, or somewhere on the street when you get off either the bus or the train) than you would in a long-haul train or airplane or cruise ship. These will double up as back up to the $200++ pair in case they're damaged, too.

As for pickpockets, a fellow here in my city and local forum had his Mustang and S9 in a bag. At one point he put his TF10s back on (I think they've been hanging on his shoulders) only to find the S9 and Mustang gone. So a cheap, easy to drive IEM that has no nasty habits like sharp treble or loud flabby bass out of a(n affordable) portable player (like a Clip) is a must.

2) Regarding damage to your expensive pair, it pays to get those with removable cables. No need for warranty replacements with a LOT of downtime, or if you still like them after the warranty expires, then you can just buy a cable. Heck, you might even get warranty for the cable, but still keep a spare set. Others get "upgrade" cables but personally if there's nothing wrong with the fit and noise on the stock cable, and they can be ordered cheap, stick with those. If some upgrade cables aren't that much more expensive, and no reviews complain of fit issues (too soft or too stiff that they don't help anchor the IEM, etc), then getting one isn't prohibitive, which is great in case they actually help the sound. In the end remember that, cable benefits debate aside, an IEM cable has a lot of other tasks than just hanging down from a cup/speaker binding post and just getting the signal from the source/amp to the drivers; they play a crucial role in how you enjoy the IEMs. If they're too bulky or too stiff, or too soft and has no cable slider, or transmits too much noise when you're moving (forgot what it's called but it's when you touch/slap/stroke the cable you hear an unpleasant sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back