Exercize Headphones
Sep 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Das Mookid

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Did a quick search on this subject but didn't seem to come up with a definitive answer. I'm looking for a fairly low cost portable headphone for use while running and working out at the gym.

While I do want a decent enough sound quality, my top priority is durability - I sweat a ton when I work out so moisture will be an issue, and I also will use them running so they must stand up to getting tossed around a bit. I am a fan of trying out some IEMs (I don't run in busy areas, and I understand the risk), but I am a little doubtful they will stay in during running unless they have some sort of over the ear clip or neck band; normal ear buds absolutely won't ever stay in my ears unless their attached to an ear clip or neck band.

Price should be <$100, and again durability and practicality are more important than sound quality for this. Some of options I have looked at:

Audio-Technica ATHCK7 - I am excited about the titanium build as this screams durable to me. I am a little concerned they will fall out when I run.

Senn CX300 - Attractive price (especially given this will be my first IEM and I'm a little unsure overall!), but I am a little concerned about the build quality, have had a few Senns die on me before without putting anything close to the strain I plan on running these through. Same concern as ATHCK7 regarding falling out but this is lessened by cheap price. . .

Alwa HP-JS36 - CNet thought pretty highly of these (for whatever that is worth!). I like the fact they have a neck band which should keep them in place, although this might get annoying when I do any weight lifting that require my back/neck to be flat against something.

Any feedback or personal experience you all can share would be very much appreciated!

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the replies. . . what exactly is "bone conduction" if you don't mind my asking?

I like the memory wire on the M6 which makes me less worried about them falling out while I run. I assume durability is good?

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 17
I would never train with in ear stuff. I would go for earbuds or nothing. Might be a personal preference but I like to know what's going around me because I care about my safety in general

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 17
I have used two different IEMs, UE superfi 5 and 700 for working out, out of curiosity (at the gym: weights, treadmill, elliptical, etc), and I wasn't very happy with it.  I have the Sennheiser PMX680, and I think they sound amazing, plus they allow me to hear the world around.  I think that overall, they're very solid.  They edge out my friend's K316 in sound quality, and they stay on better.  Try any of the Sennheiser/Adidas line.  I used to use Sony over-ear clips that looked like the K316, but that was before I knew anything about audio quality.  They worked, but I think the AKG and Sennheiser are much better.  Nike makes some workout headphones too which are all right, but they aren't as durable or good sounding as the above 2.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 17
earbuds are a lot safer to me. what i mean is that its a lot harder to damage them. whenever i workout i always use the ksc75 and portapros, but i have to be extra careful with them. I've damaged them a twice already; whenever i lift weight, the cable sometimes get stuck on on the weight, and whenever i get to tired and accidently drop the weight, the driver is pulled from my ear and snaps off from the band/clip. I still use these though, even though its more prone to damage. when earbuds gets pulled from my ear, it wont break from any clip/bands so it'll be just fine, but i have to deal with the annoyance of the buds always slipping out from the ear. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. . . what exactly is "bone conduction" if you don't mind my asking?

I like the memory wire on the M6 which makes me less worried about them falling out while I run. I assume durability is good?

It's hearing a loud "THUMP!" each time your foot slams into the ground when running (in my case).  It's similar to microphonics, but I suppose it comes through your body rather than the cable.  I would imagine that running surface/shoes/style plays a part, since I'm not the most graceful runner. 

I was using old/cheap/very thin shoes, so that might make a difference..I just got a nice new pair of new balance running shoes, so I'll have to compare sometime.  

I haven't had them fall out once during gym treadmill use (on pavement I use portapros), and despite all the sweat and accidental yanks they've held up.  I've only had them for maybe 4-6 weeks though, but they've been put through a lot..

AMP - have you tried putting the cable under your shirt? 

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 17
If you want IEMs, make sure they can be worn over the ear.  Most of them can be worn this way though, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I run and workout with RE0s and they stay in my ear secure.  I wear the cable slider behind my head, as cables rubbing on my face bother me, and they don't slip out at all.  If you don't mind wires touching your face (like when you're wearing earbuds, sometimes the cable will rub against your jawbone) then the cable slider will secure the IEMs even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't had them fall out once during gym treadmill use (on pavement I use portapros), and despite all the sweat and accidental yanks they've held up.  I've only had them for maybe 4-6 weeks though, but they've been put through a lot..

AMP - have you tried putting the cable under your shirt? 

X2.  Wear the cable under your shirt.  If you clip your music to your waist, slide the waist towards your back so the cable is directed away from the weights if you're worried your sweat will ruin your cable.

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
If you want IEMs, make sure they can be worn over the ear.  Most of them can be worn this way though, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I run and workout with RE0s and they stay in my ear secure.  I wear the cable slider behind my head, as cables rubbing on my face bother me, and they don't slip out at all.  If you don't mind wires touching your face (like when you're wearing earbuds, sometimes the cable will rub against your jawbone) then the cable slider will secure the IEMs even better.

X2.  Wear the cable under your shirt.  If you clip your music to your waist, slide the waist towards your back so the cable is directed away from the weights if you're worried your sweat will ruin your cable.

Yes, all good advice.
Microphonics and bone conduction, along with glasses tapping are all exaggerated by plastic covered 'fit' wires on certain IEM's. The UE's were terrible for that. My recent run with the SE535's also with plastic covered wire... and thick ! Very bad with glasses.

Light, braided cables, like the UM2 or most recently the DBA-02, are the best for me. Over the ear, no microphonics or bone conduction at all. Thin enough to not be a problem with glasses.
I went 6 'miles' with these (DBA) the other day, and no problem. I can't do 'buds', only IEM's, well secured in the ear. I need to close myself off to everything and just be in the zone. I need them very secure as my workouts can get a little rigorous.

shane

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 17
The cable under the shirt should hopefully fix my workout annoyances. Its a workout in it self just to avoid the cable while exercising. before i didn't want to put the cable underneath the shirt because i sweat a lot when i workout, but i better do it now to prevent my drivers from being damaged. i guess i'll deal with the discomfort and sweaty cable rather than damaged bands/clips/drivers. in the past i've had to send my portapros to koss for a replacement. thank goodness for their life time warranty. 

definitely agree that over the ear prevents microphonics. i had both the re2 and re0, and microphonics were really bad with those 2. over the ear will help a lot, but its hard to get a good fit for me though. thats why i just stick with over the ear headphones. besides that, my hearing is always weird after a listening to iems; even at very low volume levels. i stopped listening to iems all together. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks for all of the feedback, folks!

I ended up picking up a pair of M6 on the weekend, and am generally quite pleased. At the gym, the seal I got was good enough to almost totally prevent me from hearing the terrible radio station they blare which is a very nice benefit. I do find, however, that particularly while running the unit in my left ear is very prone to becoming loose and breaking the seal. I've experimented with the different tips that come included, and none of them seem like they quite cut it.Even when sealed, I have to say the isolation is not quite what I had hoped from IEMs overall - not sure if this is a result of my expectations being too high, or just that the tips bundled with the M6 aren't so good (probably both, I guess
smile_phones.gif
)

Does anyone know if there are a generic set of tips I can order separately that will fit the M6 and give me some additional options? I will search through the forums here, but if anyone happens to have any they would recommend I would be very interested - I'm totally new to IEMs, but it seems like the quality of the tips' fit are a big factor in resulting quality.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 17
Comply, Shure or other foam tips might seal better, and keep better for you.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 17
Sony EP-EX10A Hybrids work well with the M6. If you are experiencing a poor seal only in your left ear you may also want to try using different-size tips in different ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back