Exclusively tuned for HD800, Little Dot 800SE!
Oct 24, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is more technical information available?

From the looks of things, it has diodes for rectification. I wonder if it is regulated. And, no doubt, it is built on a PCB.

..and for those of us who are not technically inclined, is that a good or bad thing?

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #32 of 62
Point to point wiring is considered the ideal, especially for tube designs. Personally, it doesn't bother me that much.

Mirroring some of the other statements in this thread, I agree that I'm skeptical that it is built specifically for the hd800, especially since I don't own a pair myself, but I've always been interested in the mk6+ I'm hoping its more of a mk6+se, I'm guessing we see better tubes stock, and some improvements in the internal components.

Also if I'm not mistaken the 6+ was designed to run akgs and is a otl amp, meaning it already possesses qualities that would make it a great match for the hd800.

If it plays nicely with lower impedance headphones, and has higher spec internals than the 6+ I will probably order one.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #33 of 62
Please post back the correct answer:

Tuned for HD800 means:

A) A re-branded MKVI marketed cleverly.

B) Some premium parts chucked in, “hey lets target HD800 owners”.

C) The guys at LD have worked tirelessly re-inventing an amp that
makes the HD800 sing. Careful listening and exhaustive testing have
resulted in a truly remarkable match for the HD800.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..and for those of us who are not technically inclined, is that a good or bad thing?

For me, no.

I much prefer a tube rectifier. They sound much more natural and diodes have a way of throwing off a lot of RFI noise if not bypassed or otherwise dealt with. Diodes are much less expensive than using a tube rectifier, as well. You can get a set for a dollar or two, while the rectifier tube costs $15-$20, a few more bucks for the socket, machining, and possibly using another transformer (or one with an additional winding) to power the rectifier tube.

Regulation is nice, as well, but it requires the purchase of additional chips and parts (tube regulation is possible, but is rarely done commercially) and more labor.

I'm not crazy about tubes on PCBs, either. For one removing and inserting tubes causes a PCB to flex. That's a great way to develop cracks in solder joints. Second, tubes run hotter (usually) than chips. A scorched PCB with lifted traces is not an easy thing to repair. Third, repairs are a pain. With point-to-point, you can yank and replace any component withing minutes. PCBs might need holes drilled and jumper wires and other pain-in-the-a** remedies that are kinda ghetto. Fourth, you have to deal with lead spacing with repairs. In point-to-point, you can use pretty much anythin you
want. There's more to the argument, but once you've tried to repair a lifted or cut trace, you really begin to appreciate point-to-point.

I also disagree about the HD-800 having good synergy with an OTL. My
most blissful moments have come from running the HD-800 off transformer-coupled tube amps.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #36 of 62
It's too early to say that. You've not seen the design. You've not heard the sound. There is even no official announcement at the site of Little Dot. There are only little mentionings in a Chinese headphone forum. All I know is that the amp is still in its early stage of development. There are several months away before it will go into market. Could you wait until then to decide whether the words "cash in" is appropriate or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG! That is just too funny. The only thing I hear is marketing saying "Hey, if these guys are shelling out $1500 for headphones, we better make something with a sticker that says 'buy this for those headphones' and cash in!".

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG! That is just too funny. The only thing I hear is marketing saying "Hey, if these guys are shelling out $1500 for headphones, we better make something with a sticker that says 'buy this for those headphones' and cash in!".

I don't think David is making this amp just to "cash in". All of his other products are superb, and I'm sure this one will be no different. If there's one person I know that never takes advantage of his customers, it's David.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #38 of 62
^^ very true, i don't question Davids integrity or credibility at all.I guess a more appropriate question would be: what is this version going to do for the HD800, that the standard MK VI couldn't? I Guess it's best to wait for an official "press release" of some sort, than to speculate.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #39 of 62
Can't help but notice, but it's clearly says Mark VI+ on the casing... And the tube-protectors are removable (probably after-market). Someone just bought new tubes and called it a new amp, and announced it on some Chinese forum.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please post back the correct answer:

Tuned for HD800 means:

A) A re-branded MKVI marketed cleverly.

B) Some premium parts chucked in, “hey lets target HD800 owners”.

C) The guys at LD have worked tirelessly re-inventing an amp that
makes the HD800 sing. Careful listening and exhaustive testing have
resulted in a truly remarkable match for the HD800.

How do they expect to make a profit with this?
If someone is going to spend > 1000 on a pair of headphones, I would assume that they wouldn't buy from a a small group in china. Which could mean either two or three things: they are trying to make a statement with this amp, they have not put much time/effort into it (low costs) and hope to sell a few for some cash, they want to make an amp for the HD800 for themselves/for the pleasure of it/for their loyal customers.

Whichever it is, I can't say I will be terribly interested until impressions emerge.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone is going to spend > 1000 on a pair of headphones, I would assume that they wouldn't buy from a a small group in china. Which could mean either two or three things: they are trying to make a statement with this amp, they have not put much time/effort into it (low costs) and hope to sell a few for some cash, they want to make an amp for the HD800 for themselves/for the pleasure of it/for their loyal customers.

Why wouldn't HD800 owners buy from Little Dot, a well-established manufacturer. Certainly amps have been made by far-smaller groups (see Singlepower, which was very well-regarded until the ordering fiasco).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen
Whichever it is, I can't say I will be terribly interested until impressions emerge.

Perhaps because you don't own a HD800...
rolleyes.gif

Honestly, I question the amp's existence. I don't believe that Little Dot created an HD800-specific amp on the Mark VI platform simply because some guy on a random Chinese forum put a picture of a Mark VI up, calling it a brand new amp.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps because you don't own a HD800...
rolleyes.gif

I dont see how that is relevant at all. Surely an amp that is tuned for "the worlds best", would be a fine amp in its own right, and as people have said coming from a small group in china will probably have a nice element of saving behind it.
Regarding purchasing an amp for something so expensive, I'd probably go for a tried-and-true "brand" in the high-end of things. But your point is taken with singlepower. However, look where they ended up.
frown.gif

I'm borrowing a LD at the moment, however and its treating me rather well, as have david and sword.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #43 of 62
This is one interesting thread, to say the least!
frown.gif

I have never seen such intense scrutiny for a product that is only based on a rumor. Attacks on the integrity of one of, if not the, most honest and caring manufacturers is imo obscene!

Why is it that when someone mentions that a power cable is "tuned" in a certain way, everyone gobbles it up, yet when an alternate tube selection (and thus altered components, and probably altered topology) come into play, no one believes the change is adequate?

Further, it shocks me that Head-Fi is still not beyond the anti-Chinese sentiment. I thought that we were passed this
frown.gif
Mods have handed out warnings on this for pete's sake, and there are a number of USA manufacturers that do not touch the build quality of Little Dot.

I am also shocked by the number of big-names in here bashing technology before they have any idea what makes it tick.

Shame on everyone

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #44 of 62
that's a good point. does the amp even exist. the casing clearly says VI.

regardless, i love the 800 and would definitely welcome an amp to complement it, if that turns out to be the case. until then, i have my lowly B52 to keep my occupied.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Further, it shocks me that Head-Fi is still not beyond the anti-Chinese sentiment. I thought that we were passed this
frown.gif
Mods have handed out warnings on this for pete's sake, and there are a number of USA manufacturers that do not touch the build quality of Little Dot.

I don't think that the fact they are chinese is the issue. Some of the best amps have come from china (one of the most popular portables was designed by a single guy in china).

For me the issue is that generally I find smaller chinese company things dont perform quite as well when paired with huge amounts of gear.

Like I say, the amp I have currently suits my modest headphones well and the guys at littledot have been helpful. Outside of internet audiophile circles, I bet no one has heard of them. Which is where the questioning regarding their motives comes.

I wasnt insinuating that they would pull a singlepower. I hope they never will. However, many great manufactures of great amps have fallen under in such a way.

Maybe i'm a bit out of touch with their line-up but I always thought their products were more geared towards the budget end of things, which makes me wonder why theres a possible amp for the 800 coming (statement, cashin, whatever).

Sorry for any unintentional offense. It's late and my tact filter is down. Feel free to apply tact at your own leasure.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back