Excellent portable headphones for those of us...phobic of sticking things in your ear canal. ;)
Jan 19, 2009 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Terdinus Asus

New Head-Fier
Ear buds (sorta) and collapsible headphones basically are good.

IEM's....are not. I don't like sticking things inside my ears.

Mainly listen to classical and soundtracks.

Budget? ~$100.

Recommend me away!

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 19
Unfortunatley, with a $100 budget you just miss out on the Ultrasone HFi series which from what I've heard, are some of the best portable cans around.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 19
You could get the Senn PX100s, for $30-$40, or something along those lines. Or the Ultrasone HFI-15G. which are on Amazon for $95 shipped. Both are headphones, not in ear in any way. Or even Grado SR60s, which are less than $100.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 19
From what I hear the PX100 is very, very, very liked for a cheap can.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 19
For portable $50 will get you iGrado.
0020090001_1909.jpg

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 19
Yuin PK3s.
Head-Direct.com
Go there and look at the various models they have.

Keep in mind that it should be the lowest impedance possible so you can get the best SQ without an amp.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 19
As said, Yuins for earbuds, but I'm more into portable supra-aurals. Here goes:

It depends on what you mean by "portable." I don't consider headphones like Denon D1001 or Alessandro MS-1 (or Grado SR-60/80) portable. They're just too big, too cumbersome. The ESW9 would be on the large side of portable for me. That said, here are what I think your live options are:

1. If you really want noise attenuation, AKG K414P can be had for ~$60. They don't get a good rep here because many think the bass is boomy and overpowering. However, when used in noisy environments the bass overemphasis is a godsend. Honestly, there aren't many isolating headphones in this (price and size) category. The JBL 510 is supposed to be really similar, and for cheaper. Caveat emptor.
2. ATH-SQ5 sound much better than the K414P, but come at greater cost. A little over $100. They're clearer and have a more neutral presentation than the K414. But that's not hard to achieve, really. However, they're less portable. I wouldn't throw them into a backpack. They feel cheap, plasticky. They're light and comfy, though...if they fit well. The odd shape doesn't please all ears. These are also closed and provide decent noise attenuation if you achieve a good fit.
3. PX100s are the best open-backed portable option for your price range, IMHO. They sound great - I prefer them over the SR-60 (I think...), but not over SR-80 - are very light and pleasingly small. However, they feel cheap and plasticky too. I'd worry about tossing them in a bag. They don't attenuate outside noise at all, which is a pain.
4. Way, way down the ladder, KSC75s are the way to go if you like ear-clip headphones. They don't sound much worse than the PX100s, really, and they're super cheap. Like $5 sometimes. Crazy.
5. iGrados would be the behind-neck headphone of choice for me, but they're a little heavy and clumsy if worn with glasses. They're definitely better than Sennheiser's lower end behind-neck options (PMX-60? I forget). They sound pretty much like SR-60...I don't think I'd be able to differentiate the two. Those with better ears might.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 19
AKG K81DJ isn't a bad choice either. Used to be one of the most recommended closed can here and only $70 now on Amazon.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Alright so I've gotten both the K81 DJ's and the Yuin OK2.

I'll try out both and see which one is best for my needs. Hopefully Head-Direct has a good return policy. I doubt any amp will do much for the OK2, but I have a Fiio E5 hanging around, think that will do much for the K81's? Or will it make the killer bass more killer?

Thank you all for your help!

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 19
Here is a small trick for your K81DJ: Take out the foam pad inside the cup. You will notice improved detail and clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back