excellent portable amp recommendation needed (~$350 budget)
Oct 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Been out of the head-fi game for quite a while, but sold a guitar of mine and have enough funds to afford a high quality portable amp for use w/ a pcdp and ipod for desktop and home use.

Looking at the Ray Samuels Audio P-51 Mustang or Hornet as my lead options.  Both are a little above my budget, but I've heard great things about them both.  Even had a non-M version of the Hornet years back and remembered really liking it.  I also like the fail-safe of having actual 9V batteries to use.  But the Mustang's battery life is pretty insane and should last many many years before needing replaced.

Any other good options in the $150-350 range?  Key thing for me is really high build quality, and obviously high quality sound (duh!), but not in a super sterile way.  I'm looking for something very musical sounding, and I'm willing to sacrifice some degree of exactness and neutrality for something that really gets me into the groove of things.  Besides that, I'm pretty open.

I listen to alot of rock music of all types-- rootsy rock like Neil Young, Wilco, but also stuff like Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, Ramones, Stooges, and then more pop type stuff like The Police and The Cure).

thanks in advance for the help!

J.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 2
Decware ZenHead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back