Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal.
Sep 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #61 of 439
Did you already exchange the pads between the Q701 and the K712 to confirm that it is not only the pads and the color that changed? Some where suspecting that.

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #65 of 439
Hey, we have similar frame styles. I can now come to you easily whenever I have comfort questions! :D

Yeah, glad to help however!
Think that's at all related to why we like the creative recon3D? Naaaaah, too much of a stretch.
Wait, did you mean body frame or glasses frame?

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #67 of 439
DTS headphone X

DTS Headphone X looks promising, though it has to gain traction just as much as TrueAudio and OpenAL, etcetera. As long as a game has a DTS-HD track on it (like a Dolby 7.1 ProLogic IIz or Stereo track), DTS Headphone X can be remixed from that. I followed a few search links, there's a mobile app called Z+ that lets you demo a few Hans Zimmer movie soundtracks in DTS headphone X (plus the speaker placement demo in the linked vid). Gotta say... It works, but it feels like something Bose would design. Boomy bass and kind of a cave-like sound to the soundtrack compared to stereo, the app may be trying to highlight the difference by making the stereo mix leaner BUT the less apparent detail and overall thickness of the DTS X mix make it sound like an entirely different performance. The overall FR mix of what's more and less prominent changes significantly, though I guess someone could argue that in a large, live venue like a grand concert hall, bass would indeed be more prominent as lower notes sustain their energy further over distance. Perhaps, for a grand, "cinema" experience, the "Man of Steel" DTS headphone X mix also had a "Large Venue" processing effect applied on top of the surround positional effect?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #69 of 439
This particular vid is a bit disingenuous by comparing Trueaudio with plain old stereo - I mean, we know what stereo sounds like
tongue_smile.gif
  "Oh look, we've invented surround sound". They ought to have pitted it against DH for instance. Still though, it looks highly promising. Step forward from all the backward steps that gaming audio has taken in the last 10 years.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #70 of 439
Yep, GenAudio and AMD certainly did not invent surround, BUT this is the first major push for not just surround but 3D surround in years. And to me, it sounds really believable and natural. It's not cavernous, it isn't plagued by reverb, it has height above and below the character, and one thing the stereo vs 3D surround is good for is gauging the SQ hit. Meanwhile, if you have an iOS or android device, download one of the DTS Headphone X apps featuring Hans Zimmer's soundtracks, and tell me you don't think much was changed or SQ wasn't lost switching between stereo and DTS HX.

Does it sound "surroundy" to you? It works really well for me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #71 of 439
and one thing the stereo vs 3D surround is good for is gauging the SQ hit....

I didn't consider that. Rewatched the clip and you are perfectly correct about the SQ hit: there is practically none. Better HP's I'm sure will point out the flaws but still.

Wish they'd released that app/demo for the PC/Mac.. my phone got crushed last week (think I'll just have to get a Nexus 5 then
smile.gif
 so no worries).

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #72 of 439
Oh good, I started to get worried. No seriously, my job is fixing phones, I got worried!

The other thing about the video comparing TrueAudio to Stereo... Fortunately, you're in a thread where I've cherry-picked good examples of many different forms of surround, so if you look at the first page you can compare for yourself. :)

Free to make your own conclusions, that's how I like it :wink:

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #73 of 439
I'm glad to see that someone is finally trying to tackle the final frontier of ingame sounds: The vertical. It was very obvious the archer was behind/above. Nice!

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #74 of 439
Lol, like something outta Star Trek, eh? There were other companies that did 3D surround first, but developers making use of it withered away since the majority platform was consoles that only could support 5.1 theater surround.

If it starts catching on too, it'll be interesting to see how others compete with it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #75 of 439
Well, I remember playing L4D and replaying a scene out of Aliens where we heard stuff right on top of us and didn't see it. Turns out they were a floor above us. Vertical sound is hard.

I'm highly interested in a graphics card doing this. One less thing to install into the vortex of PC drivers Windows has to balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back