Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal.
Mar 19, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #91 of 439
Let me know what you find out with the PS4 on movies and if anyone has an opinion on my question above regarding processors for movies.  Even if I use the PS4 for Blu Ray, most of my movies are off of Direct TV, so I still need a stand alone processor

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #92 of 439
As of now, the PS4 doesn't process virtual surround for headphones on it's own.
I believe I mentioned the advantages of each of the processors I've used, either in reply to you already or in the guide, but if hiss is your main worry then you probably would favor the Recon3D USB, maybe the Turtle Beach DSS.

Keep in mind you have to set the console to bitstream Dolby, as the SU-DAC you have is the only non-AVR unit I've heard of that can decode DTS, and also keep in mind that the 32 Ohm and sensitive Grados are a little more prone to picking up hiss and provide less dampening than a 62 Ohm and less sensitive AKG or a higher Ohm Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser. I like my dad's Grado SR60 (that I bought for him as a gift), and you definitely will hear a difference with virtual surround processing so I'm not telling you that you should buy another headphone, but the greater soundstage of the other headphones, particularly the AKGs, really work hand-in-hand with virtual surround.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #93 of 439
I have learned a lot and thank you.  One point of confusion..... the Direct TV genie client has an Coax Digital Out.  Thru the menu system, you can set Dolby Digital On or Off.  There is no choice for Bitstream or any other combo.

So will this work with my Victor SU-DH1?
will this output work with all the other units like the Recon 3D?

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #94 of 439
Think of Dolby and DTS as a language, like French and Japanese. Not many devices speak DTS. Dolby digital probably should be set to on, the Recon3D only works with regular stereo and Dolby Digital Live input from toslink optical. You may have to find an adapter for coax.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #95 of 439
Its interesting.  I have listened to the clips at the beginning of this thread and Mad Lust's demos too.  CMS 3D vs. Dolby Heapdhone vs. THX Tru Studio vs. Razer off Mad Lust's (2nd clip down):

At first I liked Tru Studio.  But then I closed my eyes and I thought that Dolby Headphone sounded the best (Xonar DX, DH2, Cinema, 8 channel 5.1 in Windows).  With the scene where the guy is getting the shoe shine and you pan in a 360 motion.  But then when I listen to the Dolby Headphone examples with the guns firing (2nd clip in this thread, below Ace Venture), I am hearing a hole in the back.. I hear back right and left but not directly in back of me.  DTS Headphone X sounds pretty good.  You hear positional points very well which is the intent of the test tones.

Could it be the implementation of Dolby headphone being used that is confusing me?  Either because its a different version of the hardware being used or the way they wrote the software in the game?

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #96 of 439
How-To connect any standard headphone, with chat and surround, to PS4

Video demo of various setups, upcoming!!!
EDIT FOR POSTERITY – The Video Guide Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4bc2SQk0h2QhBrVdL-Uxts2XvEo33oqy

Here is what you need: (What I used)

Headphones (K612)
Surround Processor (Turtle Beach DSS)
Mic (Generic Lapel Mic)
Optical Cable (came with DSS)
PC Headset 2 female 3.5mm to mobile phone male 3.5mm adapter
female 3.5mm to 2 male 3.5mm adapter
1/4 to 3.5mm adapter (if necessary)

So it gets a bit complicated, but here goes:

Headphones to 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter (if necessary)

3.5 mm adapter to female 3.5mm to 2 male 3.5mm adapter (Y-Splitter cable)

One male end of the 2 male 3.5mm adapter goes to the DSS
The other male end goes to the headphone female 3.5mm of the PC Headset adapter

DSS goes to PS4 via optical cable
PC Headset adapter goes to pS4 controller

Modmic goes to mic female 3.5mm of the PS4 controller.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #97 of 439
Evshrug,
Will any surround processor work?

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #98 of 439
Basically any stand-alone surround processor, yes. PC soundcards, like the Omni, don't work though.

Setup is a little different for a Recon3D USB because you use USB for chat audio, but you just simply follow the same directions for PS3 that came with it and you're set. You don't even need extra adapters, everything you need comes with the Recon3D USB.

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #99 of 439
What headphones and processor do you like the best on Blu-Ray / movies?  How did the PS4 sound?

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #100 of 439
Ps4 is a source and has very little influence on the "sound," other than it is capable of supplying less compressed audio from BluRay (and the associated high-def decoding), the rest is up to the DAC and amp used. I like the Recon3D USB best, though you have to set the PS4 to bitstream Dolby. That's just "One Manns' Opinion" though.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #101 of 439
Evshrug, can the Recon3D be powered without using the USB?  I thinking about using this but I won't always have a USB to plug it into.  I don;t do any gaming right now.  Its all for watching movies from DirectTv.  I am going to use it in multiple rooms.

Also, can you use any USB to power it?  For example, my DirectTV receiver has a USB on the back.  So do some of the TV's I have.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #102 of 439
  Evshrug, can the Recon3D be powered without using the USB?  I thinking about using this but I won't always have a USB to plug it into.  I don;t do any gaming right now.  Its all for watching movies from DirectTv.  I am going to use it in multiple rooms.

Also, can you use any USB to power it?  For example, my DirectTV receiver has a USB on the back.  So do some of the TV's I have.

It requires the USB for power. As long as the DirecTV receiver can send power over the USB, and I don't see why it wouldn't, you can use that to power the Recon3D USB. You can also use a phone charger to get power for it from any wall socket.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #103 of 439
Axel, what surround processor do you use for movies?

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #105 of 439
I am a little confused.  Since I am using this only for movies, I see the following products that look interesting:

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-HD.aspx

http://www.soundblaster.com/gaming/soundcards.aspx#xfi

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-recon3d

Which would be the right fit for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back