EVGA Nu Audio soundcard
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #31 of 259
Ive had a bit of time to compare the DAC and headphone amp, it really is fantastic value for money, especially for headphone users.

Managed to do some comparisons to the DAC's i had on hand.
All units were run into an Antelope Satori monitor controller, with me referencing using both a calibrated set of Genelec 8351's and a set of low impedance LCD-4z on the Satori's headphone amp.

Audeze Deckard - Nu Audio sounded slightly sharper and had a little more dynamic definition and separation when used as a DAC via line outputs. The Nu Audio headphone amp had a tiny bit little more definition and dynamics, but the tonal balance was extremely similar, i suspect both of these units are using a very similar AKM converter chip and are both xmos based (didn't even need to put the driver on for the deckard, as the nu-audio one picked it up) . I changed the filter setting on NU-Audio to the top setting (cant remember what this was called, but i got noticeably sharper transients) It thendefinitely won me over from the deckard, although the deckard does have more power and headroom (but of course, you won't need it with low impedance headphones). However even with the master volume and headphone volume on full i was happy with the NU Audio output without saturation with the 200ohm (and hard to drive) LCD-4.

Antelope Orion Studio - The DAC on this is on of my favourites in the studio world and did have a little more dynamic detail and separation than the nu-audio, although the overall tonal balance was similar, but it is nearly 8 times the price! However, although the Orion has a very clean headphone amp, the Nu Audio smoked it for breakfast in the power stakes, I would much rather mix and listen to the nu-audio on headphones and you wouldn't have a choice with anything but the lowest impedance models on the Antelope.

Chord Hugo - I felt that there was a similar level of power between the nu-audio and the Hugo, but the nu-audio seemed to cope with the louder volumes on high impedance headphones slightly better! However, there is a touch more upper mid detail from the Hugo (which frankly, you would expect at over 5 times the price) equally on both the line and headphone outputs

So to sum up, I'd put it above the (£599) Deckard (though with slightly less headroom on the amp if you have extremely hard to drive headphones), and below the (£1400) Hugo... but at £249 its an absolute steal for the money, with the headphone amp especially being incredibly impressive at the price.
I'm going to try the same tests again with a set of HD650's and see how much of a noticeable difference it makes when you're not running £5K speakers and £3.6K headphones.

I'll try and pull some of the other high end PC sound cards and the similar priced pro interfaces to compare against too, now the silliness of NAMM week is over!
Will also have a go with the ADC compared to the Orion and the other pro interfaces as on paper, it does appear rather excellent.

Thanks for the review. I will pick it up and try it out. I am currently running the STX II. On paper the NU audio should be an upgrade...

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #32 of 259
I'd like to see some proper measurements. Heck, even properly done RMAA loopback test would tell quite a bit considering how good ADC this card has.

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #33 of 259
Just got my NuAudio card in and replace the STXII with it. Amp power between the two is roughly the same. I have an HE-560 and a Focal Elear. Drove the Elear very well, as expected, but it's pushing the limit of this card for the HE-560.

It's difficult to do a fair comparison of the NuAudio to the STXII since I've replaced OpAmps in the STXII to Muses01 when I got it years ago. Also, Ive only put 8-hours on the NuAudio card. Currently, the NuAudio sounds a little leaner, dry, cold?, but it seems to retrieve more details and image better. In other words, it seems to be better "technically" but the STXII with the MUSES01 are more "musical" and "warmer". I'm hoping the sound will "warm" up a little after 50+ burn in.

RGB is kinda weak IMO and almost useless? Software is pretty plain compare to the STXII (which is already plain). The STXII does offer Dobly Headphones mode and "room" simulation, etc. It doesn't mean much to me cause I always use the direct. I have not tried the DSD capabilities yet.

Is it worth $250? not sure yet. The STXII does offer a daughter card where u can do 7.1 analog out to a pre-amp/amp. I don't know if the daughter card is still available or not.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #35 of 259
I just got this card yesterday. Installed it and am very happy with it so far. Audio-wise I'm still trying to discern a real difference from the Xonar Essence STX I have in another older rig.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #37 of 259
Does anyone know if the SATA power in only use 2 voltages of 5V and 12V ? Like Yellow and Red only or do we also need Orange ? 3.3V. Thank you
All are needed.

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #39 of 259
Can you send me a picture of your SATA cables and how u connect it ? Thank you
I don't have it put EVGA has said so. For example molex to SATA adapter will not work.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #41 of 259
That card makes me really intersted. atm I'm using Xonar STX II @ stock opamps.
Waiting for another comparative reviews. but I doubt it can sound better than STX II.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #42 of 259
That card makes me really intersted. atm I'm using Xonar STX II @ stock opamps.
Waiting for another comparative reviews. but I doubt it can sound better than STX II.
I am having a hard time finding a good Linear Power Supply that support 3.3V and 12V at the same time into Nu-Card....weird configuration. I just give up for now

Mar 7, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #43 of 259
I just got this card yesterday. Installed it and am very happy with it so far. Audio-wise I'm still trying to discern a real difference from the Xonar Essence STX I have in another older rig.
Any conclusions regarding the comparison with the STX I card (RCA and headphone output)?

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #45 of 259
I am having a hard time finding a good Linear Power Supply that support 3.3V and 12V at the same time into Nu-Card....weird configuration. I just give up for now

Here is what you need...
5.jpg

6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back