EVGA Nu Audio soundcard
Sep 16, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #61 of 259
They're designed for more than gaming, as you might find watching movies more fun when playing around with the Surround or Compressor (to adjust volume floor and ceiling). Similarly, you might just want to use the quick EQ rather than the 10-band Equalizer for a fast adjustment.

For pure audio quality, you'll probably want the Nahimic features turned off.
Thanks for this info.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #62 of 259
I wouldn't say that necessarily, chord electronics poured R and D for a completely custom chip that does their audio processing. EVGA has a AKM 4493 which is highly regarded and respected but is a off the shelf part. Its really and apple to oranges comparison when looking at it from just the DAC. Sonically both are amazing but from my experience with my gear i prefer the Nu over the mojo your experience may differ. Now the set up for the amp and power delivery is custom done by Audio Note a company that is very well respected and who has some serious kit in the audio space. I enjoy them both.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #64 of 259
I only have the schiit fulla on hand to test

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #65 of 259
Doing more back and forth between my sources here the Chord Mojo and the Nu it sounds to my ears more detailed and less congested. There is more separation to the sound and its easier to discern nuance in music. It does handily best the Audio DG R2R-11 i have on hand.
71002615_827457650985875_5976631169171587072_n.jpg
Forgive the mess but comparing a sound card to external dac/amps isn't very convenient on my end :beerchug:

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #66 of 259
Hey guys..

Ive always been using desktop sound cards for my "DAC" (I was blind to the world of DACs! until recent)

Ive had the EVGA NU card for about 2 months or so... I am still running stock op-amps, however now i am already looking at replacement ideas per below...

This week i have purchased and listened to:
-Dragonfly RED (20+ hours)
-HifiBerry DAC+ pro (~5hrs)
-iFi xDSD (~30+hrs)

While they all sound pretty good, the EVGA HEADPHONE output with some higher impedance headphones (I am using 300 ohm which i consider "high" for avg consumer) sounds the best... I am kind of shocked as i thought i was finding something better with these DACs above. I just (10min ago) switched back to the EVGA after listening to the iFi all day today replaying the same song I was listening to. Was able to increase the volume on the EVGA and drive my headphones harder while still retaining clarity (IFI xDSD cannot drive them this hard... Especially w/ bass..). I never used the EVGA this way until just now.. I always used the RCA out to my preamp i have used for years (custom). Im in a state of shock at the moment still trying to understand how the psychology of buying something new and expensive made me think the DACs were so much better...and if i should return all DACs now and instead just build a "mini PC" as a DAC...with another one of these cards..?

I primarily use Tidal in Exclusive mode, however have foobar setup to play DSDs(I dont own a lot.. Not a lot in genre's i love... = Allman brothers/"Southern"-type-rock)

Realize i have operated the opposite (using PC sound cards! vs dedicated DACs) compared to most all of you so i hope i can help here. I have an EE background and if i can get my hands on the right equipment here may try to take some measurements... (unless someone has already shared something?)

This is an interesting topic which may deserve more attention by all Head-Fi'ers if for 189$ (desktop setup) you can get something equal or better to the Mojo/Ifi/Similar?? (Tbd..)

Anyways.. Need to gather my thoughts here and listen to all again.. The other dacs do bring some richness that the EVGA (unless using some of their output modifiers in SW) doesnt bring to the table, however this can be achieved externally in different ways. (And cheaply..)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Per EVGAs website card is now 149.99.. Wow

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #68 of 259
Hi Hotwings. Interesting post. What headphones are you using for the comparisons. Thanks

Been sticking with my everyday HD650's... for the purpose of this test as i feel they are right in the 'middle' of the headphone world (And also using my Tannoy & Adam monitors for comparison.. Although that is a completely different analysis)

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #69 of 259
I’ve got a few powered sets, but the calibrated Genelec 8351’s and the HEDD type 20 normally show up most of the details that are there. Have got a Chord Hugo, a Audeze Deckard and an Antelope Orion Studio to compare with on the DAC front in the room already. Am looking forward to this test, have got an antelope satori set up as an analogue switcher so should be able to do some realtime a/b/c tests with the other DAC’s
It’s an amazing product...for those who’ve yet to buy a desktop dac this is the way to go. I have outboard equipment with dacs & this unit rivals ‘em.

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #70 of 259
I didn't think id find a single ended sound card that would be better to my ears than my Chord mojo but audio note know what they are doing. There single ended implementation even with the stock op amp has more dynamics to my ears and clarity. I do plan to do some op amp rolling in the future not sure if i wanna run it without the emi shield to run a burson v6 but im feeling pretty froggy. Needless to say the mojo has a happy home in my wifes pc atm until i can get a Nu for her rig as well :p

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #71 of 259
I just discovered that the RGB lighting on the sound card was introducing a moderate level of noise to the tube amp that I’m using (HP output). Albeit you could only hear it by turning up the volume on my tube amp (CAUTION: WITHOUT ANY MUSIC PLAYING). In other words...feedback from the RCA output was been amplified by my tube amp output signal. I cut the RGB lighting off....feedback noises could no longer be heard. I dunno if anyone else has experienced similar IF you’re using the sound-card with a external device (in my case a HP tube amp/preamp); thought it may be of help to those who’ve experienced similar. Note: this is a mute point if you’re desensitized to any level of noise that can likely only be heard when the music’s not playing. I tend to lean towards minimizing signal noises in my equipment chain if possible.

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #72 of 259
i run mine with the leds off but ill turn it on and see if i hear anything

Sep 29, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #73 of 259
So i tried the leds on and off and i noticed an odd noise when no audio was playing and this was at all volume levels but when ever audio of any kind played even at the lowest allowable volume to even zero the noise stopped. This is beyond my expertise as to why it does this and i have no reason to believe my unit is defective. To me this strange noise is a non issue as it is only pressent when no audio i presentat all, and being that im an audio enthusiast im running audio 24/7 when ever im using this sound card :p It is weird that is stops as audio is played even at zero volume.

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #74 of 259
So i tried the leds on and off and i noticed an odd noise when no audio was playing and this was at all volume levels but when ever audio of any kind played even at the lowest allowable volume to even zero the noise stopped. This is beyond my expertise as to why it does this and i have no reason to believe my unit is defective. To me this strange noise is a non issue as it is only pressent when no audio i presentat all, and being that im an audio enthusiast im running audio 24/7 when ever im using this sound card :p It is weird that is stops as audio is played even at zero volume.
I decided to run it with the LEDs off to avoid any potential amplification of errant intermittent noises. Shame...given my PC rig has a ‘see through’ glass window (see before & after pics below). Oh well...pluses & minuses in this elusive pursuit of perfection. I still think it’s an amazing audio card with an impeccable sound quality.
7D80A4B7-E7BE-488A-98EA-170174AC6801.jpeg 490C6FCB-974D-436F-B328-D8C50613A0C9.jpeg

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #75 of 259
I am pleased to say i have installed the Nu Audio in my 10 year old PC ( MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UDP5P) still running Win 7. I did have a job to install the drivers and recommend to anyone running Win 7 to install all the patches on the EVGA site prior to installing the drivers/software for Win 7. This did the trick for me. First impressions of the card are positive. It has plenty of punch and clarity and without A/B comparisons with my ifi idsd dac, I would say its close in terms of weight and punch and certainly drives my HD599 very well. I look forward to see how it pairs with the 660s. I haven’t had time to try them It took so long to get the drivers to install I only had a short time to test it. with HPs I had to hand.

Anyone use Foobar with the Nu Audio - what output is the best? I just selected ASIO nu audio I would be grateful if anyone has the definitive settings.
Also, I can only select the sample rate up to 192/24 in the nu audio settings yet it is rated to go up to 384/32 via stereo output. Is this a limitation of Win 7 64 or is there a further tweak. Any advice opinions gratefully received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back